+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Field again

No Field again

I see that Sam Field has been relegated to the subs bench again today. Personally, I thought that he would be a shoe in today. No Dawson again as well.

That Livermore/Brunt combination aint working in my opinion. First half was poor but second half they attacked with pace and quick passing and when Brunt was taken off I thought Field would be the obvious replacement, but no, Barry. We swopped a pair of ageing tired legs with a pair of even older tired legs. But we won 7-1 so what do I know.

Exactly. 7-1 we need to make changes lol. I don't care who gets the shirt or what age they are if we win this convincingly....but boy do QPR have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    That Livermore/Brunt combination aint working in my opinion. First half was poor but second half they attacked with pace and quick passing and when Brunt was taken off I thought Field would be the obvious replacement, but no, Barry. We swopped a pair of ageing tired legs with a pair of even older tired legs. But we won 7-1 so what do I know.

Spot on! Thought Brunt and Livermore offered next to nothing and Field should have come on! Gayle was excellent as was Barnes. Hegazi looked much better though.

Yes, we won 7-1 but I just did not understand the substitutions. We were 4-1 up and Barry comes on! Why? Wouldn't it have been better if Field had been given a chance. Why Robson-Kanu and not Burke? I know he scored but when you're so much on top, bring on the youngsters. Why wasn't Harper on the bench? I know it may sound churlish of me to make these comments after such an emphatic victory but QPR were one of the worst sides I've seen at the Hawthorns for a long time. The central defence still worries me and Middlesbrough will be a completely different challenge next Friday.

Having said all this, an excellent result.

Most of the fans hold Field in high regard, but Moore is the third manager who seems reluctant to play him. The puzzling thing is, is that he plays in a position where we are crying out for fresh legs, and ideas. A lot of fans feel that Field could be the answer to our midfield problem, but Moore doesn't seem to see it that way. If Moore feels that his Captain has to be in the team every week, then I would rather he changed his Captain, than shoehorn him into the team in a position that he isn't suited for. Brunt has spent most of his career playing out on the wings, or at left back, if he can't get in the team in those positions, then he should be dropped to the bench and Field should be given his chance, I'm not holding my breath though.
    Last edited by curlybaggie; 19-08-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Yes, we won 7-1 but I just did not understand the substitutions. We were 4-1 up and Barry comes on! Why? Wouldn't it have been better if Field had been given a chance. Why Robson-Kanu and not Burke? I know he scored but when you're so much on top, bring on the youngsters. Why wasn't Harper on the bench? I know it may sound churlish of me to make these comments after such an emphatic victory but QPR were one of the worst sides I've seen at the Hawthorns for a long time. The central defence still worries me and Middlesbrough will be a completely different challenge next Friday.

Having said all this, an excellent result.
    I thought it was good man management personally.

The youngsters got minutes during the week v Luton. Field acquitted himself well in that game but is returning from injury and from what I’m told he was visibly tiring towards the end of the game. There was therefore little value in risking him so soon after when we have a long season ahead of us.

While I can understand a desire for Burke to get minutes against a flagging defence he took a knock to his ankle v Luton. Why risk further injury when we weren’t chasing the game? HRK came on to provide an assist and claim our seventh. Barry he was a direct replacement for Brunt in a system which was working so there was little disruption. Despite a shaky start which may have been expected given such a long layoff he was re integrated in a no risk situation and kept things ticking over nicely.

Injuries were managed and effective substitutions were made. Albion scored seven goals, claimed all three points and the manager acknowledged there’s room for improvement. As for Friday we’ll need to shape up PDQ defensively as alluded to by Darren Moore. We all know TP loves a set piece and a five man midfield. Team selection, tactics and substitutions may prove more interesting than the game itself.

Roll on Friday and COYB .

Hi 68. Wish I could say roll-on Friday - but I'm clearly not a masochist like you. I suspect it will be a tedious and (I'm afraid) a losing affair - the only plus being for those who go is that at least it won't be played in the horrible dump that was Ayresome Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post

The youngsters got minutes during the week v Luton. Field acquitted himself well in that game but is returning from injury and from what I’m told he was visibly tiring towards the end of the game. There was therefore little value in risking him so soon after when we have a long season ahead of us.

While I can understand a desire for Burke to get minutes against a flagging defence he took a knock to his ankle v Luton. Why risk further injury when we weren’t chasing the game? HRK came on to provide an assist and claim our seventh. Barry he was a direct replacement for Brunt in a system which was working so there was little disruption. Despite a shaky start which may have been expected given such a long layoff he was re integrated in a no risk situation and kept things ticking over nicely.

Injuries were managed and effective substitutions were made. Albion scored seven goals, claimed all three points and the manager acknowledged there’s room for improvement. As for Friday we’ll need to shape up PDQ defensively as alluded to by Darren Moore. We all know TP loves a set piece and a five man midfield. Team selection, tactics and substitutions may prove more interesting than the game itself.

You make some fair comments '68. We don't always know the 'ins and outs' of various decisions made.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post

Spot on this is. He knows he will need the older heads going further into the season and so gave them some minutes. Also can't work out why Brunt is getting stick - we won 7-1!

I'm not a fan of Livermore but I thought he had a good game on Saturday. Issue we have is Livermore and Brunt can't play together. But I wouldn't drop Brunt, I think he offers so much with his vision and delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)