+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Field again

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Spot on this is. He knows he will need the older heads going further into the season and so gave them some minutes. Also can't work out why Brunt is getting stick - we won 7-1!

I'm not a fan of Livermore but I thought he had a good game on Saturday. Issue we have is Livermore and Brunt can't play together. But I wouldn't drop Brunt, I think he offers so much with his vision and delivery.

There will always be room for improvement even had we scored ten. Nobody is doubting the contribution Brunt makes much of the time, but he's not a central mid player - he has no pace, energy or creativity! Brunt is a better full back than centre mid player and to be honest, he was skinned for pace in this position on a number of occasions. I don't do sentiment even if a player has served 20 years with us - either he's still good enough in the chosen position or he's not.
    Clearly, in this current position - Brunt is poor!

You need your best central mid players when we play the decent teams ( Boro and Stoke ) coming up, and certainly Field would add more to this position than Brunt. Will Brunt play in every position for the team - what next in goal?

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    There will always be room for improvement even had we scored ten. Nobody is doubting the contribution Brunt makes much of the time, but he's not a central mid player - he has no pace, energy or creativity! Brunt is a better full back than centre mid player and to be honest, he was skinned for pace in this position on a number of occasions. I don't do sentiment even if a player has served 20 years with us - either he's still good enough in the chosen position or he's not.
    Clearly, in this current position - Brunt is poor!

You need your best central mid players when we play the decent teams ( Boro and Stoke ) coming up, and certainly Field would add more to this position than Brunt. Will Brunt play in every position for the team - what next in goal?
    Agree - always room for improvement. My main area for concern for us is on defending set pieces - especially against a physical Pulis team.

Not sure Brunt's game has ever been about pace and energy, admittedly he's been out wide for most of his career, but I think with legs around him he would be useful in the middle. Also, disagree with you regarding his creativity.

I guess that's what these forums are for!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Agree - always room for improvement. My main area for concern for us is on defending set pieces - especially against a physical Pulis team.

Not sure Brunt's game has ever been about pace and energy, admittedly he's been out wide for most of his career, but I think with legs around him he would be useful in the middle. Also, disagree with you regarding his creativity.

I guess that's what these forums are for!

Absolutely 123 - I like Brunt and he was one of the most committed and consistent players last season. I still feel we need a Mulumbo type of player in that position - one with pace and who links up the play well, and who gets his foot in. Not been impressed with Brunt in this position for this season and his crosses have not been great too. I hope we can get a loan player in, or give Field more game time. Livermore can do the job but more inconsistent than consistent in my book so if he switches off and you have Brunt in the middle, we could be overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Absolutely 123 - I like Brunt and he was one of the most committed and consistent players last season. I still feel we need a Mulumbo type of player in that position - one with pace and who links up the play well, and who gets his foot in. Not been impressed with Brunt in this position for this season and his crosses have not been great too. I hope we can get a loan player in, or give Field more game time. Livermore can do the job but more inconsistent than consistent in my book so if he switches off and you have Brunt in the middle, we could be overrun.
    Yep, a Mulumbu would be great.

I'm not saying the midfield is perfect, because we've been outrun in every game apart from on Saturday. Just that Livermore and Brunt don't work well together. And if you're going to drop one it should be Livermore because Brunt offers us more going forward. I would bring Field in too, but not for Brunt.

What has Sam Field got to do to get a game. Again tonight he was left on the bench while Brunt and Livermore offered nothing in midfield. His confidence must be really low at the moment when he sees the rubbish we have in midfield on the pitch.

Weird isn't it? Moore obviously doesn't rate him but he should be able to see that Brunt is not the man for the role he is being asked to play and Livermore is little better. If not Field then Chadli should be given games, better still both of them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)