+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player Ratings - Cheltenham Away

Player Ratings - Cheltenham Away

“We are not rich by what we possess but by what we can do without”

I never thought I’d see the day again where we started as a genuine 4-2-4, but here we are. Full credit to the manager for understanding the dynamics of a game against a side like Cheltenham on a small pitch. Removing the safety net in midfield and recognising the ball would hit the forwards quickly regardless of the midfield was a piece of thinking I really admire – and our tactics worked, the more players you have up-top the more likely the ball is to stick when it gets up there.

In the first half we controlled the game and were easily the better side, but for some wasteful finishing and with a few better decisions in the final third we would’ve been out of sight. Devitt and Etuhu put in a decent shift in the middle of the park to hold it all together and a large part of Cheltenham’s tactics in the second half consisted of playing for free-kicks and trying to get Etuhu a second yellow card.

Handling Cheltenham in the second half was like trying to prize a bone out of the mouth of a small angry dog. Their only player of any real quality was Marchants on the right – and in fairness, Grainger and Hope handled him fairly well. And in truth our defence was fairly comfortable.

Fryer – 4 – A decent save in the first half low to his left and when he doesn’t have to jump or cover ground he looks like a safe pair of hands. This being said, he lacks awareness when the ball is in the box and had to be rescued on two occasions with Hope and Grainger making goal line clearances. Needs to become less static and improve his positioning. Also it could be an idea to distribute the ball quickly once or twice a game.

Liddle – 6 – Strong and stoic enough, only made to look like a lamp-post on a couple of occasions. Stepped inside and defended solidly when he had to and used the ball moderately well. I’m not sure this is a long term solution but against Cheltenham this was good enough

Gerrard – 6 – You know you’re unfit when you make Parkes look a lithe, toned athlete. Anyway, I was expecting a lot worse after all the reaction after Tuesday night – but in complete fairness he was defensively excellent today. Blocks, tackles, headers, organisation – this looks like a decent signing to me. If we can improve his fitness then maybe his use of the football (which was at times criminal) will also improve, but he’s there to defend first and foremost.

Parkes – 7 – The pick of our defenders, strong, quick (ahem) and read the game excellently. Maybe it’s because he had a genuine defender alongside him, maybe it’s because a manager has shown extended faith in him. He’s stopped trying to be Alan Hansen as well and has concentrated more on defending than he used to under Curle. He’s also being played in position, which always helps.

Grainger – 7 – Excellent again defensively, didn’t get forward as much due to the formation we played but nullified Cheltenham’s right-flank superbly. I hope August Grainger retains his sharpness until May.

Etuhu – 6 – An unnecessary booking turned an afternoon where he looked comfortable into a hectic nightmare. You could see the second booking coming, in honesty, so it was a good decision by Sheridan to substitute him. Before the booking, I have to say he looked a tower of strength in our midfield (finally), turning over possession, keeping it simple it was all very impressive. However, the booking he picked up (to prevent Cheltenham breaking from midfield) might’ve been necessary if we had been playing Chelsea, but wasn’t necessary today. In typical Gary Johnson fashion, Cheltenham spent the second half running past Etuhu and diving. The referee wasn’t the brightest today and sooner or later, the pimple would’ve popped, so full marks to our manager. I’m not sure playing Etuhu in a midfield two in the wide open spaces of Brunton Park would be especially wise, but today it was an excellent managerial decision.

Devitt – 7* - Phenomenal work rate and a tremendous shift. I’ve criticised the decision to play Devitt in central midfield ad infinitum, but today the job he did for the team was peerless. Not every pass he tried was on the money, but he got on the ball often and used it sharply, giving the team a sense of urgency, impetus and drive.

Yates – 6 – Defensively, I have to say he was incredible (he might be a natural right-back), but in and around the box I really don’t know. Fluffed an easy header in the first half (at 1-0) which would’ve made the afternoon a lot less stressful. His dribbling almost entirely left him against brick walls and in cul-de-sacs, his crossing was poor and distribution questionable at best. Struck the ball really well when it hit the post in the final thrashings of the day but it’s all about putting the ball between the posts not hitting them. Yet, I don’t want to give the impression I don’t like him as a player because there’s definitely something about him and the job he did for the team on the right flank was invaluable. His tackling back, ball-winning and work rate were all top class and if he adds a little composure to his game in the final third he’ll be easily too good for this division.

Nadesan – 7 – Disgracefully kicked to sh!t by Cheltenham’s defence and given little or no protection from the officials. Hacked to the floor in the penalty area in the run up to our goal but still had the composure to lay the ball back into Bennett’s path. We know what Nadesan brings to the party and Cheltenham couldn’t handle him today. Combined well with Bennett and our other forwards and the additional of an actual brain to our forward line makes us look like a football team.

Bennett – 6 – Manfully battling to win headers all afternoon and receiving the ball with his back to goal. The first time we got the ball to his feet in the penalty area – we scored. It really is that simple. Might’ve had a second late on when Yates’ shot cannoned back off the post but his finish was understandably lethargic after the battering he’d had. I don’t reckon he’s built to fight the aerial battle leading the line every week, but fair play to him for laying it all on the line for the team.

Hope – 6 – I can’t mark him higher as his use of the ball was so poor today, but did a creditable job on the left flank defensively. Cheltenham didn’t make the mistake of thinking Hope has a left foot and when he had the ball they managed him competently. His energy was definitely an asset in managing Marchants with Grainger however.

Subs:

Glendon – 5 – Stepped into the trenches and helped us dig for victory when he came on. Not really an afternoon for classy passing.

Slater – 5 – Looked sharp breaking out of defence with the ball at his feet. After his horror show at Exeter I can see glimpses of why we signed him.

I'll miss the game on Tuesday evening due to the time difference and professional commitments, but I'll be back to the grind here next Saturday.

Well done Piglet. Thouroughly enjoyed your post.

Ditto.

Schoolboy error from me, Ryan Broom was their dangerous right sided player.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)