+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lascelles is just above ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I really rate Lascelles and i think with the right management he'll become a top class defender who will play for England.

I think if Rafa goes, we'll lose him to either in that window or the Jan and it'll be to a top level club, who will turn him into the player i think he can be.

Either way, he's massively important to us, both as Captain and CB.
    you rated mbemba
    s well but stayed silent when rafa sent him opacking

Assuming Lascelles stays with us, as the squad and team hopefully improve then we will see him fullfilling his potential with much improvement.

Of course this depends on Ashley even more than Rafa.

Jamaal Lascelles starts – Played 21 Won 7 Drawn 6 Lost 8

Jamaal Lascelles doesn’t start – Played 6 Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 5

Jamaal Lascelles starts – 27 points from possible 63

Jamaal Lascelles doesn’t start – 1 point from possible 18

However, it is when it comes to goals conceded that you really see Lascelles’ impact:

Jamaal Lascelles starts – 19 goals conceded in 21 games

Jamaal Lascelles doesn’t start – 17 goals conceded in 6 games

In 18 of the 21 matches Jamaal Lascelles started, Newcastle have conceded either one or zero goals.

Stats don't lie; very important player for us....he also scored 2 match winners earning an extra 4 points and let's not forget that our defence conceded the least goals behind the top 6 and if I'm not wrong maybe equal to burnley....

Our problem is upfront, w can't score enough goals...

Lascelles is learning all the time but he's being sold down the river a little bit in terms of having to do far too much defensive work due to Rafa's set up and although it is one learning curve in one sense, it's also leaving him open to mistakes by percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by gogz_86 View Post
    Jamaal Lascelles starts – Played 21 Won 7 Drawn 6 Lost 8

Jamaal Lascelles doesn’t start – Played 6 Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 5

Jamaal Lascelles starts – 27 points from possible 63

Jamaal Lascelles doesn’t start – 1 point from possible 18

However, it is when it comes to goals conceded that you really see Lascelles’ impact:

Jamaal Lascelles starts – 19 goals conceded in 21 games

Jamaal Lascelles doesn’t start – 17 goals conceded in 6 games

In 18 of the 21 matches Jamaal Lascelles started, Newcastle have conceded either one or zero goals.

Stats don't lie; very important player for us....he also scored 2 match winners earning an extra 4 points and let's not forget that our defence conceded the least goals behind the top 6 and if I'm not wrong maybe equal to burnley....

Our problem is upfront, w can't score enough goals...
    Well summed up mate.

He has a big impact when he plays and we have to keep players like that otherwise whats the point or the altetnative Sell him for 40 million in installments and then replace him with Rafa's 3rd or 4th choice? Nah, don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Lascelles is learning all the time but he's being sold down the river a little bit in terms of having to do far too much defensive work due to Rafa's set up and although it is one learning curve in one sense, it's also leaving him open to mistakes by percentage.
    He's a defender who has got a lot to learn still. Making him do defensive work is obviously the way forward. He's present in an attacking sense for set piece situations and that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    He's a defender who has got a lot to learn still. Making him do defensive work is obviously the way forward. He's present in an attacking sense for set piece situations and that's good enough for me.
    He is also partnered with Clark one of the worst defenders in the league. This doesn’t help him progress when he is covering a weak defender all the time and don’t get me started on our full backs.

If you think clark is bad, you want to hope Schaer is a slow starter and can get better.

Because pre season, he looked dreadful.

I actually think clark is ok, but i expect Fernandez to take the place soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    If you think clark is bad, you want to hope Schaer is a slow starter and can get better.

I actually think clark is ok, but i expect Fernandez to take the place soon enough.
    I would be happier with Fernandez in for Clark Mick

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post

As some are saying about Lascelles being just above ordinary well, what about the players around him especially those who he has to back up as well as doing his own work.

The whole point is that he's playing in a team which is below ordinary. 10th last season was something earlier on that we wouldn't have dreamed about but because of Rafa, Lascelles and the small handful of other players who are moderately "just above ordinary" we finished top half.

If Ashley permitted Rafa to invest only the club's income on say one particularly good player each window and a couple more better than what we have then in three windows we would have a decent squad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)