+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Purrington

Quote Originally Posted by welovebooth View Post
    what would league 2 football do for him??

he needs a promotion chasing team in league 1 .

but would they want him
    Going on yesterday he might already be with one , not many teams will turn them over this season , very solid and well organised , wouldn't surprise me to see them grab a play off place in all honesty .

Mattock might be better going forward but for me , Purrington is the better defender

Mentioned that mattock was maybe the better going forward & purrington better st defending. Wimbledon fans thought he was quality going forward as well as defending.

Hope he’s back with us in January am presses for a starting spot. No disrespect to mattock as he was outstanding all last season. I just feel purrington can push on and become better while mattock seems to have reached his level.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Going on yesterday he might already be with one , not many teams will turn them over this season , very solid and well organised , wouldn't surprise me to see them grab a play off place in all honesty .
    Think welovebooth was talking about Michael ihiekwe needing to go to a league 1 team chasing promotion.
    Most of last season he was the first CB to be name when folks were picking a pre match team. He has pace, reads the game well, ok in the air. Can tackle ..
    It all came unstuck in the playoffs when one mistake shattered his confidence.
    Looking at our defence vs leeds.
    Jones, Robertson, ihiekwe purrington would be a good alternative and could replace PW first choice

He looked quality going forward when he come on against Cardiff, I know he wasn't on long.

It was really harsh on him losing his place last season as he was excellent.

If this is all to in the view to bring him back in Jan then all is well.

Maybe we aren’t giving Warne and Barker enough credit here?

Perhaps they see that for Purrington to advance as a player that he needs game time in a competitive situation and that he’s not going to improve by running around cones and having a run out once in a blue moon with the reserves.

They know barring injury he won’t play much for the first team, so out on loan is the best option for player and club in the longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    Maybe we aren’t giving Warne and Barker enough credit here?

Perhaps they see that for Purrington to advance as a player that he needs game time in a competitive situation and that he’s not going to improve by running around cones and having a run out once in a blue moon with the reserves.

They know barring injury he won’t play much for the first team, so out on loan is the best option for player and club in the longer term.
    That says no matter what purrington does he's not getting Infront of mattock. Problem is players loose form or get injured. Warne is playing the same game with the RB. One main one with utility player as back up

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    That says no matter what purrington does he's not getting Infront of mattock. Problem is players loose form or get injured. Warne is playing the same game with the RB. One main one with utility player as back up
    Yes probably, but the club also has to factor in the wages bill. Purrington is obvious back up for Mattock but he’s basically being paid for a “just in case” scenario whilst getting no development.

It’s a risky business but out on loan he gets match fitness, development and hopefully some or most of his wages is being paid by the loaning club.

Ditto Yates and others

Purrington is a better defender than Mattock.

Purrington was brought to the club on the advice of Jamie Johnson. Johnson's mission is to bring young players to the club who have the potential to help improve the team now and have big sale on values in the future which will in turn help increase the club's playing budget. Warne's mission is to win football matches and keep us in the division. We have seen that Warne has a big thing for his players having a certain type of personality and he has had success so far. It isn't difficult to see how the 2 philosophies might clash on occasion. I would certainly have Purrington in the team over Mattock but it isn't my decision.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast