+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team/Formation for Newport?

Bloody difficult question. I think we have a decent set of players compared to many recent seasons, but I can't see how we can address the glaring weakness of lacking a hard man in midfield. I'm a fan of 4-4-2 in this division, but we just can't make an effective four man midfield from the players we have. That means the formation has to be 3-5-2 or 4-5-1. Forget this mythical 4-3-3 formation, it always ends up as 4-5-1. As for the team, Tootle and Hall have to start if fit, toss a coin for the rest.

------------------ Fitzsimons

-----Tootle---Duffy----- Brisley ----- Kellett

-----------Hewitt-------Vaughan

------Boldewijn-- Husin ---Thomas

-------------------Dennis

Using OP's 4-2-3-1. Ideally I'd like to start Ben Hall if he's fit and/or maybe even Pierce Bird as at least one of Duffy or Brisley should be dropped. I'd be tempted to stick with Jones at left back purely because I have no idea how good Kellett is there but every time he touched it after coming off the bench on Friday he lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    The issue I have is that we’ve now back-to-back away games at probably the two most direct teams in the league, so what’s needed long-term isn’t necessarily what we need this week. Longer term, I think 3-5-2 is the way to go:

Fitzsimons
    Hall Duffy Bird
    Tootle Hewitt Vaughan Jones
    Boldewijn
    Hemmings Dennis
    That's a decent team to be fair, with a reasonable amount of defensive cover at least on paper. Its success would hinge on whether the free role would suit Boldewijn or not. It's the sort of role you could equally see Husin playing, with his decent first time passing and ability to shoot from distance, but a few eyebrows would be raised (not least by Alan Hardy!) if neither our marquee signing from Crawley or Nathan Thomas were in the starting line-up!

I'd try 4141.

Fitz
    Tootle Hall Duffy Jones ( he's been awful,last chance)
    Vaughan
    Boldwijn Hewitt, Crawford, Allessandra
    Hemmings

We've got to put some grit and running into that midfield and the way we're shipping goals i'd be afraid to play three at the back. I also dislike one up front as I think it shuts down chances created. But, we're too flimsy for 442 unless Crawford turns out to be a bit of a beast.
    So many good players, such an imbalanced squad. No real LB cover, no box to box tackling midfielder no target man.
    Tragic to have a twenty goal a season striker on the bench but we've played suicidally attacking formations and drawn blanks in two out of three games and we just have to grind first get some belief and ease the flair into a team with confidence over time.

Probably one of the best team line-up threads for a long time mainly due to the fact that Nolo has put together a squad that none of us really have a clue how to get it to work best, let alone Nolo himself!

It’s difficult because the knee jerk reaction is to make sweeping changes replacing the likes of Jones, Brisley, Duffy, Hewitt, Fitz etc but then at some point we need stability and a settled starting 11.

Anyway I’ve gone for a bit of a knee jerk line-up followed by how I think Nolo will set us up.

Firstly the back four were just dreadful, scrap the lot, assuming Hall is fit. It can’t get any worse! Secondly Stead was our most composed player when he came on for Dennis Tuesday night and you can’t ignore the fact he is still scoring goals, I’d love Hemings and Dennis to work as I know Stead should not be the answer but I’m not convinced yet so would like to see Dennis and Stead up front.

Thirdly, still think Vaughan and Husin can work but in a diamond with Vaughan just in front of back four and Husin in a more advanced role although this still leaves us without any real grit in this area but Enzio, Hawk and Husin should be able to make themselves available for the pass from Vaughan allowing to build down the wings with the full backs or through the middle via Stead (not hoofball).

Finally, rate him or not Hawk was an integral part of the team that helped put that great run together first half of last season, teaming up well with Toots providing defensive cover and the overlap which proved very successful. Yes I know we had Yates in that midfield as well but we don’t have that luxury anymore.

So …

Name:  73360F87-FDA5-46E2-87D4-692A9F7B5064.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  11.7 KB

What Inthink we will get is …

Name:  DBAA93D4-3C1E-4072-BECF-FBAC9AD78BCD.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  11.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    ------------------ Fitzsimons

-----Tootle---Duffy----- Brisley ----- Kellett

-----------Hewitt-------Vaughan

------Boldewijn-- Husin ---Thomas

-------------------Dennis

Using OP's 4-2-3-1. Ideally I'd like to start Ben Hall if he's fit and/or maybe even Pierce Bird as at least one of Duffy or Brisley should be dropped. I'd be tempted to stick with Jones at left back purely because I have no idea how good Kellett is there but every time he touched it after coming off the bench on Friday he lost it.
    I would love to see this as a formation, with Hall switched in as soon as he is available. This looks like the best balance of needing to play to the strengths of our best players whilst building in some kind of defensive strategy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12