+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody still optimistic about this season?

We were punching above our weight last year... so this year will be more difficult. Dyche said it for most of last season that «we are not the real deal», but to me it looked like we all more or less thought so as time went. The dicipline and sharpnes was less visible to me as the season progressed last year but we still got the points some how. It’s prob unfair to name names, but some players seem to have switched off a bit, not fearing the opponents. We have a soft start to this season. Hopefully a couple of bad defeats will give us back that fighting spirit. We clearly have a small team and playing in Europe will make us suffer. I completly agree that the work done to get new players in was below par and that January is a long way away, and by then playing for Burnley will not be as atractive as it was in May. We really did not use the opportunity we had this summer to build on last year in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    We were not playing in the Europa league the last five games of the 2017/2018 season Sinkov and the cracks had well and truly appeared even then.This form did not start this season.
    Dyche needs to concede the Wood/Hendrick experiment does not work.

Barnes and Wood for me in a plain old 4-4-2.

I'm not optimistic.
    Lots has been made of our 7th place finish last season. That was largely due to the poor seasons of the likes of Leicester, Everton and a few others, all of whom had better squads than us. Who would have picked Stoke and WBA to go down at the start of the season?
    Yes, of course we got the points and it was a job well done but many of the performances were poor and we certainly won games we didn't really deserve to.
    More alarming is the record since January. Take away the 5 win run and look at how many points we DIDN'T pick up in the games before and after. Add to that the start this August and it's of some concern.
    I said when the fixture list came out that if we didn't get points on the board from the likes of Soton, Watford, Fulham and Wolves early doors, the autumn and winter fixtures look daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by edlea View Post
    I'm not optimistic.
    Lots has been made of our 7th place finish last season. That was largely due to the poor seasons of the likes of Leicester, Everton and a few others, all of whom had better squads than us. Who would have picked Stoke and WBA to go down at the start of the season?
    Yes, of course we got the points and it was a job well done but many of the performances were poor and we certainly won games we didn't really deserve to.
    More alarming is the record since January. Take away the 5 win run and look at how many points we DIDN'T pick up in the games before and after. Add to that the start this August and it's of some concern.
    I said when the fixture list came out that if we didn't get points on the board from the likes of Soton, Watford, Fulham and Wolves early doors, the autumn and winter fixtures look daunting.
    Spot on Edlea.

Stop conceding goals by being picked off with stupid cross field passes in out defensive third would help for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by HeidyClaret View Post
    Guys we're 2 games in, it's a bit early yet to be pulling out the 'I told you so'
    Heidy Hi! Far too early.

So myself, Edlea and CIB have spelled it out perfectly, along with others who are not pleased with below par displays and lack of new recruits, this poor performance against Watford did not start yesterday, or in the 4 games in Europa, it was there for all to see during parts of last season, and nothing has been done to correct it, the defence is reasonably sound, everywhere else is iffy, the token gesture of Vydra is all but a plaster on a lost limb, and even Brady and D4 coming back does not IMO give me any comfort.

I have a feeling we will be playing you in the next 2 seasons, if you manage to stay up. This season will be an interesting one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I have a feeling we will be playing you in the next 2 seasons, if you manage to stay up. This season will be an interesting one for you.
    I will personally give you odds on any amount at 10-1 that we will stay up. Wire me the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    So myself, Edlea and CIB have spelled it out perfectly, along with others who are not pleased with below par displays and lack of new recruits, this poor performance against Watford did not start yesterday, or in the 4 games in Europa, it was there for all to see during parts of last season, and nothing has been done to correct it, the defence is reasonably sound, everywhere else is iffy, the token gesture of Vydra is all but a plaster on a lost limb, and even Brady and D4 coming back does not IMO give me any comfort.
    Bit arrogant of you Alto that you have spelt it out perfectly for the rest of us mere mortals.

One factor you constantly fail to mention is that 19 other pretty decent football teams are all doing their dandiest to retain their place at the top table of English football.

But please feel free to keep on undermining a minor miracle.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)