+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody still optimistic about this season?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You know what they say Sub, when you open your eyes in the morning and you don't see a coffin lid, it's a good day.
    Indeed it is sinkov!!
    Here is an interesting fact from the game at St James Park this afternoon for those who are still feeling optimistic:-
    Jorginho completed 158 passes out of a possible 173, more than the whole Newcastle side combined (131).
    Statistics ---where would we be without them?

Sub - my youngest lad joined the RAF last August - training as MP. Absolutely loving life, passes out in about 2 weeks. On a sleep deprivation exercise this week. Jaysus - if I dont get 7 hours a night I am suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by CaspertheClaret View Post
    Sub - my youngest lad joined the RAF last August - training as MP. Absolutely loving life, passes out in about 2 weeks. On a sleep deprivation exercise this week. Jaysus - if I dont get 7 hours a night I am suicidal.
    Good luck to him Casper. I was in from 1966 to May 1989 when my so joined and he is still in. He went in as an AC plonk, took a commission in 2006 and is now a Squadron Leader and a good chance of getting Wing Commander.
    I had the best of it though ---I was a musician and paid for a hobby, hence why I am always happy and the eternal optimist. Nothing ever gets me down, although VAR is coming close!

To answer the thread, we host Olympiakos on Thursday and Manchester United on Sunday.

Beats the sh-it out of playing Rochdale at home on Tuesday and Colchester away on Saturday. So yes, still fairly optimistic!

Reference my post #23

Another 2 games to add to that run.

In a BFC football context, this is very worrying. Yes, I know it's only football and worse things happen at sea etc etc, but anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen this coming.

The football, for several seasons now, has been dire to watch. Let's make no bones about it, it's hoofball. It consists of our defence and midfield passing it sideways and then back for a long punt from Heaton/Pope/Hart to a lone striker who either doesn't get on the end of it or is outnumbered if he does. Opposition then get chased/pressed into losing the ball eventually when the process is repeated - ad infinitum. Someone will no doubt allude to the Everton(a) wonder goal from Hendrick last autumn. OK, that was last autumn.

There have been 2 transfer windows since then. Have we made any significant signings that will actually improve the team? Have we got a skillful, pacy winger? Have we got one (or more) talented midfielders who can create/carve an opening with a quick-witted clever pass? Or have we just brought in a few no-hopers in a bargain-basement bid to appease fans?

There are rumours - yes, I know, rumours - of the first signs of unrest/unhappiness in the camp. Unhappiness at training, cryptic tweets.
    There are permanently-injured players: Defour, Walters, as well as one-off long-term injuries: Heaton, Pope, Brady.
    It's apparent to most fans that our current midfield without Brady and Defour actually means Cork and some stand-in, usually pretty hopeless.
    Brady according to Dyche is not match-fit and won't be for a while and Defour is "weeks away." As I said before what on earth does that mean? Will we see him before Christmas? Will he be match-fit then? Or will that take another "few weeks"?

This awful run of form, going back to last December -puctuated by at least two very fortuitous wins in that 5-game run - is not some kind of blip. It's getting reminscent of that 18 game winless run under Cotterill.

I'm not a Dyche or Board basher; both have given us far more than we could have ever expected. BUT .....
    there comes a point where serious questions need to be asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Indeed it is sinkov!!
    Here is an interesting fact from the game at St James Park this afternoon for those who are still feeling optimistic:-
    Jorginho completed 158 passes out of a possible 173, more than the whole Newcastle side combined (131).
    Statistics ---where would we be without them?
    Quote Originally Posted by edlea View Post
    Reference my post #23

Another 2 games to add to that run.

In a BFC football context, this is very worrying. Yes, I know it's only football and worse things happen at sea etc etc, but anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen this coming.

The football, for several seasons now, has been dire to watch. Let's make no bones about it, it's hoofball. It consists of our defence and midfield passing it sideways and then back for a long punt from Heaton/Pope/Hart to a lone striker who either doesn't get on the end of it or is outnumbered if he does. Opposition then get chased/pressed into losing the ball eventually when the process is repeated - ad infinitum. Someone will no doubt allude to the Everton(a) wonder goal from Hendrick last autumn. OK, that was last autumn.

There have been 2 transfer windows since then. Have we made any significant signings that will actually improve the team? Have we got a skillful, pacy winger? Have we got one (or more) talented midfielders who can create/carve an opening with a quick-witted clever pass? Or have we just brought in a few no-hopers in a bargain-basement bid to appease fans?

There are rumours - yes, I know, rumours - of the first signs of unrest/unhappiness in the camp. Unhappiness at training, cryptic tweets.
    There are permanently-injured players: Defour, Walters, as well as one-off long-term injuries: Heaton, Pope, Brady.
    It's apparent to most fans that our current midfield without Brady and Defour actually means Cork and some stand-in, usually pretty hopeless.
    Brady according to Dyche is not match-fit and won't be for a while and Defour is "weeks away." As I said before what on earth does that mean? Will we see him before Christmas? Will he be match-fit then? Or will that take another "few weeks"?

This awful run of form, going back to last December -puctuated by at least two very fortuitous wins in that 5-game run - is not some kind of blip. It's getting reminscent of that 18 game winless run under Cotterill.

I'm not a Dyche or Board basher; both have given us far more than we could have ever expected. BUT .....
    there comes a point where serious questions need to be asked.
    Spot on edlea.I could not have put it better myself.Question is-If me and you saw it coming since January then why didn`t SD and/or the board and make some serious additions to the squad in the summer window.

It's all a reflection of other teams strengthening in the summer in key areas and we have not especially that midfield; which we all know is key to controlling games. We are reaping what we have sown. Failure to prepare is to prepare to fail etc etc cliche but true.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    We were not playing in the Europa league the last five games of the 2017/2018 season Sinkov and the cracks had well and truly appeared even then.This form did not start this season.
    No!! Not a cat in hells chance,...The way we play,......Its bloody awful ....

A Claret through and through, But We are Bloody Rubbish,,,

And the the only way is a YO YO,....We should be be above that now,.Surely

Sorry but again our PATHETIC BOARD Have Let us Down Again,,...How many more times , can you take our Board for real ??

I would question why bfcjon thinks we are beyond a yo-yo team.
    Last season we saw Stoke relegated after 10 consecutive PL seasons, Swansea relegated after 7 consecutive PL seasons, West Brom relegated after 8 consecutive PL seasons but who have been relegated 4 times and promoted 4 times since 2001/2. Wolves have been relegated 3 times and promoted 4 times since 2002/3. Birmingham 3 down and 3 up since 2002/3.
    There are plenty of others so why should we be beyond it, particularly when you look at the ownership of some of those other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by bfcjon View Post
    No!! Not a cat in hells chance,...The way we play,......Its bloody awful ....

A Claret through and through, But We are Bloody Rubbish,,,

And the the only way is a YO YO,....We should be be above that now,.Surely

Sorry but again our PATHETIC BOARD Have Let us Down Again,,...How many more times , can you take our Board for real ??
    Do not worry though Jon,the Board will not have let themselves down.Trust me they will have vast dividends whatever happens-especially if they do not spend a lot.....

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)