+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maybe our players are fed up just running

maybe our players are fed up just running

Here is a thought.

Players have been lorded over the distances they travel in a game.

Eagles and Cook spring to mind.

But maybe some of our players crave inventiveness and subtly over out-and-out running.

Maybe they think that non-stop running reduces their career time and brings them to a level of mindless machines.

Maybe it starts to hurt and impact their long-term injuries.

Maybe it hurts their next journey to another club outside Burnley.

If mad running just defending and maintaining your tactical instruction reduces your career maybe you would think about it as well.

Lot of presumptions in there blueheeler1!

Lots of other EPL players put in the miles and the effort. One thing I have noticed is that we no longer do the "High Press", a couple of seasons ago an opposition player had five Clarets hunting him down. That no longer happens, I wonder if our players are running out of steam and desire?

We definitely need a new modus operandi, that is for sure.

The oldest phrase in football applies to all the better teams.. 'Let the ball do the work'..

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    The oldest phrase in football applies to all the better teams.. 'Let the ball do the work'..
    We've learnt that!

It's called the Hoof ball.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    We've learnt that!

It's called the Hoof ball.
    With second thoughts on your comment "letting the ball do the work" usually applies to players that run with the ball rather than pass it on.

Our problems really are
    1 we don't get the ball much in a game. How can you with 35% possession?
    2. we are not guilty of running with the ball; we are not guilty of running into attack that much anyway.
    3. It would be a good ploy to introduce players to the ball in training so that they can practice with it.

I've mentioned this before, and it's relevant on this running about lark. We have this reputation for being fit and putting the miles in, yet when Trippier was asked what was the biggest difference he found at Spurs, he said it was the higher intensity of the training. Maybe our lads aren't as fit as we, or they, think they are.

I'll bet that they don't get fed up of running to the bank!

"It would be a good ploy to introduce players to the ball in training so that they can practice with it."

My biggest smile today - lol!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    "It would be a good ploy to introduce players to the ball in training so that they can practice with it."

My biggest smile today - lol!
    Imagine, if we trained with balls....Instead of Blind Mans Buff....
    Horrible to watch I Know....But maybe we could coach this out of them??

against Huddersfield - I don't believe, it was the players idea to sit back and do nothing - as wouldn't that be on orders from the Manager ?...so as for that game - if we weren't running - it wasn't because we can't - but because we couldn't.... .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)