+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still optimistic about this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    sinkov --we don't know, because every game is different. Last season we picked up points against Everton, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, United and City if memory serves me correctly.
    Maybe Sub, but in reality we struggled against the top 6 just like everyone else did, and will do so again this year. Our record against the top 6 2017/18 and then against the other 13.

P12 W1, D4, L7, Pnts 7, average points per game 0.6.
    P26 W13, D8, L5, Pnts 47, average points per game 1.8

The discrepancy was so great we could have lost every game against the top 6 and still finished comfortably in the top 10. Which illustrates my point, your stats are only favourable to us because of the vagaries of the fixture list.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Maybe Sub, but in reality we struggled against the top 6 just like everyone else did, and will do so again this year. Our record against the top 6 2017/18 and then against the other 13.

P12 W1, D4, L7, Pnts 7, average points per game 0.6.
    P26 W13, D8, L5, Pnts 47, average points per game 1.8

The discrepancy was so great we could have lost every game against the top 6 and still finished comfortably in the top 10. Which illustrates my point, your stats are only favourable to us because of the vagaries of the fixture list.
    It looks good this season then because against the top 6 it is
    P1 W1 D0 L0 Pnts 3, average points per game 3
    P7 W1 D2 L4 Pnts 5 average points per game 0.72

So we could get 36 points against the top 6 and just need to pick up as many points as we have against the rest!

I know ----but this is the whole point ---none of us know --we can only surmise. Que sera sera!

By gum Sinkov, you haven't half changed your tune!

Remember our coalition in August?

We both agreed that, as long as we were involved in the Europa League, we would suffer playing Thursday/Sunday.

But that once we were out of it we would improve. I can't be arsed trolling through the threads to find what we were both saying, but you said it.

And, so far, we have been proved correct.

First 5 games,
    Played 5 won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 4 points 1

Last 3 games,
    Played 3 Won 2 Drawn 1 Lost 0 Points 7

And with Defour and Brady soon to return (hopefully!) I reckon we will get our mojo back.

Mark my words....

Can that Mojo bloke play at centre forward?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    By gum Sinkov, you haven't half changed your tune!

Remember our coalition in August?

We both agreed that, as long as we were involved in the Europa League, we would suffer playing Thursday/Sunday.

But that once we were out of it we would improve. I can't be arsed trolling through the threads to find what we were both saying, but you said it.

And, so far, we have been proved correct.

First 5 games,
    Played 5 won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 4 points 1

Last 3 games,
    Played 3 Won 2 Drawn 1 Lost 0 Points 7

And with Defour and Brady soon to return (hopefully!) I reckon we will get our mojo back.

Mark my words....
    No I can't be arsed to troll back either 59/60, but what you're saying sounds about right to me. I did indeed think that once we got out of the Europa League and back to 5 days a week down Gawthorpe we would get our mojo back. Sadly, along with Defour and Brady, Mojo is still missing and the performances are getting worse not better.

As someone famous once said, maybe it was Donald Trump, when the facts change, I change my opinion, and the fact is that exiting the Europa has not brought about the improvement in performances I anticipated. We've got away with poor performances many times over the last few seasons, hopefully we can continue to defy logic, but those last two displays were so shockingly poor I'm not sure we can.

I look forward to the cavalry riding over the crest of hill to save us, Captains Defour, Brady and Mojo, banners flying, at the head of F Troop. I just hope they get here before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    It looks good this season then because against the top 6 it is
    P1 W1 D0 L0 Pnts 3, average points per game 3
    P7 W1 D2 L4 Pnts 5 average points per game 0.72

So we could get 36 points against the top 6 and just need to pick up as many points as we have against the rest!

I know ----but this is the whole point ---none of us know --we can only surmise. Que sera sera!
    But we do know Sub, the top 6 are the top 6 every year because they clean up against those out of the top 6. If you fancy any of those from 7th down against a top 6 team, well there are plenty of those games and plenty of bookies willing to accommodate you. Fill your boots.
    Last edited by sinkov; 09-10-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    But we do know Sub, the top 6 are the top 6 every year because they clean up against those out of the top 6. If you fancy any of those from 7th down against a top 6 team, well there are plenty of those games and plenty of bookies willing to accommodate you. Fill your boots.
    As you are aware, sinkov, I do not waste money on gambling, particularly on football results ---I need my cash to pay for fuel to come and support my team through thick and thin ----nothing has changed as far as that is concerned.
    Your statement about the top 6 just amplifies how much the game has changed and why it is getting worse. It is all about money and, no matter what fans believe, we are way down the league as far as that is concerned. Que sera sera.

Actually Sub, I'm wondering if you may be onto something. I don't like backing favourites, I think the only way to make money betting is to go against the crowd, don't bet on what the millions of mugs are betting on, and what is more against the crowd than betting teams taking on the big six. There would be a low %SR, but when one bet came up it would be a big price, maybe over the long term it might be profitable.

One way to find out, I'll start a thread and put an imaginary tenner on every lower team playing one of the big 6 at the best price I could get with my accounts. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it looks then, we could be in world cruise territory by the end of the season, as you say Sub, you never know.

I love your optimism, sinkov, however, that comes from being a gambler and willing to take risks.
    If you win enough to win a world cruise I woud recommend going west, although you do miss South Africa doing this. Go via Madeira, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Falkland Islands, rouond Cape Horn, Chilean Glaciers, Valparaiso, and then 8 days at sea, sailing past Easter Island and anchoring off Pitcairn Island to let the locals come on board to sell their wares (all except the wood carvings are made in China!!). On to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Pago Pago, cross the International Dateline when you lose a day, New Caledonia, Australia, New Zealand, back across the International Dateline when you get the same date twice but on different days, Apia, Christmas Island, Hawaii, San Francisco, Mexico, through the Panama Canal, various Caribbean Islands, Azores and back to Southampton. A total of 95 days and you don't have to worry about what Burnley are doing, although that season they played 16 games during that time and won 6 drew 4 and lost 6 before finishing 8th in the Championship. Happy days!!

I give up Sub, here's me trying to win you a world cruise and you've already been on one. FFS !!!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)