+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O.T. Geordie Dialect

O.T. Geordie Dialect

Zip, from what I've seen you appear to be a teacher or in the teaching profession. I was talking to my nephew who's kids attend school in Shields and he was telling me they used to have a special class to actually teach/talk about the Geordie dialect because they had done a survey and found that the accent was being watered down through people leaving the area and an influx of non Geordie people, students etc. Have you heard of this before ?
    I must say, the last couple of times I have been in the north east, especially downtown Newcastle I have noticed a distinct lack of the Geordie accent as compared to years ago. I suspect this must be happening to many other dialects in the UK due to huge immigration etc. It just sounded strange to have a class at school teaching Geordie to Geordies.

Funnily enough, I teach in Shields...North Shields, that is.

I haven't heard of that, tbh, but there's no chance of the accent dying out where I teach.

Definitely not the last time I was in Waterville or Collingwood Primary school’s that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Funnily enough, I teach in Shields...North Shields, that is.

I haven't heard of that, tbh, but there's no chance of the accent dying out where I teach.
    Yes, the school is St. Wilfrid's RC in South Shields, they might not be doing this now as this was a couple of years ago.
    More power to you for keeping the accent strong though. Whenever I'm back the accent sounds really strong but after a couple of days I'm right back into it again, you'd think I'd never been out of the north east.

I always find it interesting how the scouse accent has changed over the years. When you hear the Beatles in the 60/70s, Cilla, Tarbuck etc they all have much softer accents than the likes of Carragher, Gerrard, John Bishop etc. Mind I think Rooney’s is a bit more in the 60’s mould.

There used to be a column in the Shields Gazette many years ago called "Dorphy" it was printed purely in the old strong Geordie dialect you had to take your time reading it as it looked like a foreign language even to me. Apparently this was used in the class to show the kids what real Geordie sounds like.

I remember getting off at central station and I heard, ganna extemmenit like. It scared the wee out of me. First time I'd ever encountered a Geordie Dalek.

i love the rafe we trust dialect

as much as i like the like the morning breakfast butties at greggs

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    Zip, from what I've seen you appear to be a teacher or in the teaching profession. I was talking to my nephew who's kids attend school in Shields and he was telling me they used to have a special class to actually teach/talk about the Geordie dialect because they had done a survey and found that the accent was being watered down through people leaving the area and an influx of non Geordie people, students etc. Have you heard of this before ?
    I must say, the last couple of times I have been in the north east, especially downtown Newcastle I have noticed a distinct lack of the Geordie accent as compared to years ago. I suspect this must be happening to many other dialects in the UK due to huge immigration etc. It just sounded strange to have a class at school teaching Geordie to Geordies.
    I come from Ashington as you may have guessed,there was an article in the chronic a few months ago by a language prof.(worth a trawl)if your interested.
    He goes on about how the dialect in the pit villages developed and of course how it's now fu cked (he didn't blame Thatcher) but ah dee.An example I know of personally is when one mine closed a few miles away,the lads that didn't take redundancy came to our pit.

Instead of saying yalreet as a greeting they used to say what cheer,we were like WTF..
    As for the Toon there are about a zillion students there at the uni..

Plus you've also got what really pi55es me off is all the young chav kunts wi there gangsta sh!t dialect,which did I mention really pi55es me off..

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    I come from Ashington as you may have guessed,there was an article in the chronic a few months ago by a language prof.(worth a trawl)if your interested.
    He goes on about how the dialect in the pit villages developed and of course how it's now fu cked (he didn't blame Thatcher) but ah dee.An example I know of personally is when one mine closed a few miles away,the lads that didn't take redundancy came to our pit.

Instead of saying yalreet as a greeting they used to say what cheer,we were like WTF..
    As for the Toon there are about a zillion students there at the uni..

Plus you've also got what really pi55es me off is all the young chav kunts wi there gangsta sh!t dialect,which did I mention really pi55es me off..
    Yes, pit villages had their own distinct brand of Geordie. Worked with a lad here who used to tell me I wasn't a proper Geordie he claimed people from his part of Newcastle were true Geordies from Waarkaville.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)