+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Nolan better as an underdog?

Is Nolan better as an underdog?

Simple question.

He seemed to shine as a player in teams that were not favourites, Bolton, West Ham etc...

When he rescued Notts we were down and out, nothing more to lose.

Now we are (or were should I say) one of the favourites for automatic promotion, is it fair to say that Nolan doesn't actually enjoy being in a position like this?

If not, he has to learn very quickly and cope with this pressure. I sincerely hope he does.

I'm still not going to judge until 10 or so games in but it has crossed my mind.

A few bits to chew on there anyhow.

Interesting thought that Manc. Maybe if that is the case he can thrive on the 'pressure' following our embarrassment last Friday and bring us a backs-to-the-wall, come out fighting, 'told you so' performance against Newport.

Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Interesting thought that Manc. Maybe if that is the case he can thrive on the 'pressure' following our embarrassment last Friday and bring us a backs-to-the-wall, come out fighting, 'told you so' performance against Newport.

Fingers crossed.
    That's what I was hoping. Maybe the defeat against Yeovil could be a blessing in disguise. We're always going to be more like Wycombe than Luton.....does that style of play appeal to our new players?

Good points. I was also thinking that he's probably a millionaire, doesn't necessarily need to grind out a living/wouldn't be the end of the world for him if he disappeared into some academy in Spain/US somewhere.

He looks too comfort zone with AH to me, same as Derry and Gigglin' Greg, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he can lose a stone and refind his fighting form - or fix our feckin defence at least!

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Good points. I was also thinking that he's probably a millionaire, doesn't necessarily need to grind out a living/wouldn't be the end of the world for him if he disappeared into some academy in Spain/US somewhere.

He looks too comfort zone with AH to me, same as Derry and Gigglin' Greg, but I hope I'm wrong. I hope he can lose a stone and refind his fighting form - or fix our feckin defence at least!
    ....which is why he looked a bit shocked when Charlie asked him whether he felt under pressure.....he is the next England manager everyone after all....how dare Charlie question him!

Hopefully it worked

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    ....which is why he looked a bit shocked when Charlie asked him whether he felt under pressure.....he is the next England manager everyone after all....how dare Charlie question him!

Hopefully it worked
    Agree. I think we all noticed that.

Nolo's success might be his own worst enemy, but I like him and want him to do well.

Reminds me of Sir Alex, if he'd made a mint as a player would he have kept the hunger and drive that fueled him as a manager?

Not an underdog.
    More a one trick pony. Give him 11 hardworking players who will need to go out and fight for a dirty result and he’s ok. Hoof ball all the way.
    Give him so called footballers, no chance. Every time we have tried 3 in midfield we have been hopeless. Other teams do it with ease , why can’t we ??

Quote Originally Posted by cjpieman View Post
    Not an underdog.
    More a one trick pony. Give him 11 hardworking players who will need to go out and fight for a dirty result and he’s ok. Hoof ball all the way.
    Give him so called footballers, no chance. Every time we have tried 3 in midfield we have been hopeless. Other teams do it with ease , why can’t we ??

Easy, Nolo's not able to pick, organise, (or employ), the players to do that. One trick pony unfortunately is a fair description.

Does not matter what he says now, it is down to the players, this evening will see if they are prepared to run through walls for him.

I have a funny feeling that with all of his comments, Hardy has told him no money left in the budget to sign anyone. This will put him under pressure, problem is, we don't have the squad to fix it. Maybe he can galvanise the squad to play better but all in all, if you don't have the tools for the job, you'll fail. And that is squarely on his shoulders

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast