+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Places made famous in films or TV

OT: Places made famous in films or TV

For many years my local town, Carnforth, has attracted tourists simply because its railway station was famously used in the film, Brief Encounter. I can think of a few others, some from films, some from TV dramas but I'll limit myself to one and see what other posters come up with.

Mont St Michel in France was the inspiration for JK Rowling/Harry Potter Diagon Alley, I went about 3 years ago, apparently the amount of tourists going there has massively increased due to the films. If you go down the narrow streets it does actually have the feel about it

Holmfirth and Last Of The Summer Wine

Grimethorpe - Brassed Off

Various Barnsley Locations - Kes

Balby - Open All Hours

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    Mont St Michel in France was the inspiration for JK Rowling/Harry Potter Diagon Alley, I went about 3 years ago, apparently the amount of tourists going there has massively increased due to the films. If you go down the narrow streets it does actually have the feel about it
    I didn't know that, Don. I went there long before JKR had ever been heard of. Stunning place.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Holmfirth and Last Of The Summer Wine

Grimethorpe - Brassed Off

Various Barnsley Locations - Kes

Balby - Open All Hours
    Do those places get visitors because of the link? Holmfirth is very famous for it I know. Hadn't heard of the balby one though.

Dalton,for King Ralph 😳

Some parts of Rotherham and Sheffield were used for ‘when Saturday comes’

Do they get visitors because of the locations? 😂
    There is some strange people about so I’m guessing yes
    Last edited by millertop; 21-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Dalton,for King Ralph ��
    Well spotted - another one I didn't know and should have as I used to go to Melia's chippie in Dalton.

Portmerion-The Prisoner
    Arneclffe- Emmerdale but that may have changed now.
    Heartbeat-Goathland
    Full Monty (No pun intended)- Sheffield
    Kes-Barnsley
    Quite a bit of period stuff at Wentworth. There was some filming there the other day I think for the Churchill thing but may be wrong.

The film "Tread softly stranger" (50s ish)with Diana Dors had scenes set outside the old parkgate blast furnaces. Some of the old Rawmesh steelworkers I worked with were shown playing footy as lads on the street in the background. It was there claim to fame!

Not sure where Corrie is filmed. Is it Salford? Worrabout Eastenders, I presume that is in the east end somewhere.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 21-08-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Goathland in North York’s near Whitby. The TV show Heartbeat was filmed there. Gets loads of visitors. I also believe that the train station in Goathland was used in the Harry Potter movies.

Port Issac - Cornwall - Doc Martin.

Lovely part of the country to visit.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast