+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 6-0

6-0

Impressive defensive performance against the franchise, so then change half the back four. Clueless team selection.
    Absolute shambles. Changing systems almost for the sake of it. Play to our strengths and dont worry about the opposition.
    Last edited by whosbrianwilson; 21-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Not against a change of formation but jesus players out of position across the back four and midfield! Artell tried to shoehorn George Ray back into a team that had conceded 1 in 3. Now Pickering is injured and we may have no left back for Saturday. Size of the squad yet no cover at left back and arguably no natural right winger. Sounded like it could have been a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by TK20 View Post
    Not against a change of formation but jesus players out of position across the back four and midfield! Artell tried to shoehorn George Ray back into a team that had conceded 1 in 3. Now Pickering is injured and we may have no left back for Saturday. Size of the squad yet no cover at left back and arguably no natural right winger. Sounded like it could have been a lot more.

I think Artell has to take a lot of blame for this, I can completely see why he'd want to get Ray back in the side against a team that are strong on set pieces as well as keep the height of NG and Hunt, but Pickering has been solid all season and most importantly , not been giving away free kicks. All you're ever going to do with a natural right footer at left back is put yourself under pressure and give away cheap fouls.

What disturbs as much as the scoreline and reports of a really dreadful performance is the manager's comments to the Chron. He blamed the players; he says 'we'; but never once does he use the word 'I' when he is talking about the team selection, tactics or general belief within the squad. As the 'general' he should take responsibility for that performance.
    I'm sure, given the Alex's renowned consistency, we will bounce back sometime, but the time for wake up calls ended last season.
    That was so disappointing considering the *****ity and strength of mind shown against MK just a few days ago.

There was a bust up in the dressing room after the Newport game and I cannot imagine silence after this debacle. Why did Ray need to brought back? Why could he not earn his place in line with Artell's previous statements about no-one entitled to a place in the first X1. They have to be earned? Is Artell taking any responsibility for that s**t show I witnessed last night?

Based on our team formation and tactics in the previous 2 games against Fleetwood and MK Dons this was a disaster waiting to happen. Have to say I was puzzled by the positive comments made about the MK Dons game. They dominated the game for 75 minutes when they tired or decided to go negative and settle for a draw did we get in the game for the last 15 minutes. Really poor performance.

So what is the formation? It is so crazy it is difficult to understand. It could be 4-2-4? It could be 4-2-2? It could be 4-2-2 with the other 2 players plonked on the wings with the hope that at some time they may get involved in the game? The end result is that we end up with only two midfielders trying to compete with 4 or 5 opponents midfielders. Of course those 2 cannot cope. It is common to see oppoments with 10 yards free space all over the pitch. Being able to run with the ball. Not being closed down, and you cannot blame the 2 midfielders for this.

There are lots of rumours flying around about a lot of players who cannot believe the formation and tactics being used by the manager. Apparently they are desperately unhappy with the situation, especially where they are being blamed for the poor displays. I for one sympathise with them. This situation is totally down to the manager, and to be honest it really is not good enough.

One point from a possible nine. That is relegation form.

I too was surprised DA changed the defence that had only conceded one goal in three games and he did say that players would have to earn the right to play the next game and so GR should not have come back in yet...

Its early days but can't help wondering whether our young players that chose to stay like Ainley maybe thinking what a big mistake that was when he could have been earning loads more elsewhere...

The team spirit and the dressing room cannot be in a good situation at the moment..

I must admit I cannot understand a word that Kenny Lunt says when he is interviewed by McGarry before the games start..Voice too high and too fast by a mile..

One swallow doesn’t make a spring and one awful performance doesn’t make a crisis.

I could 100% see why Ray was brought back in , unfortunately the manager bottled the decision a bit and forced changes in a team that were doing alright to accommodate him.

If there was a dressing room bust up then good , there should be after that kind of result. I don’t think it says that’s any big problem though , afterall if there was I don’t think players would have resigned deals.

And if Ainleys thinking he could be earning loads elsewhere he should call up Cooper and ask him how leaving before you’re consistent works out.