+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Vaulks: a serious question for those into sports psychology, coaching management

Will Vaulks: a serious question for those into sports psychology, coaching management

For starters, I am not a fan of Will Vaulks.

I really could not see why fans were raving about him last season and I believed we should have sold him because in my opinion he is nowhere near good enough for the championship.

But....i kept hearing from people that he had a bright future, so I decided to try and see if there was a player in there, after all he is a willing player and does put a shift in.

The main issue for me is that his mind is not quick enough for this level, he does not see which pass to pick, which run to make, when to tackle when not to tackle.

Now my question is this, can quickness of mind be taught in a coaching sense? Can a players mental sharpness be improved? If so...how do they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

I really could not see why fans were raving about him last season and I believed we should have sold him because in my opinion he is nowhere near good enough for the championship.

But....i kept hearing from people that he had a bright future, so I decided to try and see if there was a player in there, after all he is a willing player and does put a shift in.

The main issue for me is that his mind is not quick enough for this level, he does not see which pass to pick, which run to make, when to tackle when not to tackle.

Now my question is this, can quickness of mind be taught in a coaching sense? Can a players mental sharpness be improved? If so...how do they do it.
    My answer to that is a definite no,its all down to natural ability,you either have it or you don't.

I agree ....it's a natural football intelligence that you either have or you don't.

Vaulks, gets caught in possession because he can't think quick enough about what he is going to do with the ball.

Massive error not selling him. After 4 games in the championship his potential transfer fee...will have been slashed down.

None of the players,who played for us in the Championship last time,will not step up to the mark,they simply are not good enough.

I couldn't agree more.. I said the same about the speed of thought and he panics when he's closed down.

It seems as though he wants to play the killer pass too often which leads to aimless passes which in turn leads to more pressure on the defence

Jasonmare,mikemillers going to love you.He will have another melt down.Nice pups by the way.Well deleted Mods save mike having a breakdown.

Lge 1 player at best.Thats one of the things you can’t coach quick thinking.

No, you either have it or you don't. Which is why Vaulks will never be good enough for this level

I said it when we were in the Championship last time- he simply isn't good enough, he cannot string a pass together and it becomes a liability for us. Everyone I spoke to thought I was stupid for not worshiping the ground he walks on

I gained more of a likeness towards him last season, he was much more suited to league 1 and played so much better.
    But I'm afraid the Championship is a step too far for him, which is a shame because he's one of the good guys in football

Yep I would put Wiles in for him if we don't get another midfielder in. At least he reads the game better and can pass and keep up with play.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

No it can't - that's one of the key natural abilities that defines the level of the player. This may be Vaulks's main problem - performances in the last Champ squad and early performances this season suggest it might be. His level is likely a very good L1 player. Was hoping he'd be one who'd make the transition, but he's clearly struggling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast