+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoohoo i961pie....

Yoohoo i961pie....

Hey hey, ye ol' codger. How does the summer do for ye? A bit more sunshine, a few more strolls (albeit with a walker) and a few 'big rolls of the dice 'at the bingo club, might still see you keep the Grim Reaper at bay. Provided of course, you continue to say away and stop fondling horses or ponies!

Anyway back to our favourite topic: boxing.

What you make of the proposed Fury v Wilder fight and Mr Joshua against Povetin?
    And of course the other big one, Canelo Alvarez v GGG?

Since you're much older, (much much older), I think it's only fair, you shall have the honour of elucidating me with your thoughts for each of these bouts, before I attempt a reply.

Whatever it is... stay alive okay!! Hahahaha

(Oh btw, I did pay you a compliment in the Lazy Britons thread - gawd, I must be slowly becoming like and losing it.. what was I thinking?)

I think Fury might have just taken this fight to soon because Wilder as a wicked punch and he might be to quick for Fury.
    I would imagine Fury will try to tie him up and rough him up to frustrate him.
    Joshua should beat Povetkin he is much bigger and should stop the Russian getting to close, mind you Povetkin does have a good punch if he can land it but I'm going for a Wilder Joshua double.
    Alvarez asn't had a great build up to the fight with drugs and suspension so I am going for Golovkin, he narrowly won the first fight in my opinion anyway.
    I saw the the lazy Briton thread??? Have you been on the pop?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I think Fury might have just taken this fight to soon because Wilder as a wicked punch and he might be to quick for Fury.
    I would imagine Fury will try to tie him up and rough him up to frustrate him.
    Joshua should beat Povetkin he is much bigger and should stop the Russian getting to close, mind you Povetkin does have a good punch if he can land it but I'm going for a Wilder Joshua double.
    Alvarez asn't had a great build up to the fight with drugs and suspension so I am going for Golovkin, he narrowly won the first fight in my opinion anyway.
    I saw the the lazy Briton thread??? Have you been on the pop?
    I'm a big Alvarez fan, but he'll have his work cut out against the unbeaten GGG.

Joshua if he doesn't get careless and walk into a Povetin hammer, should win easily.

Fury? Well, he'll really need to do a Klitsckho fight repeat and distract Wilder. Wilder shouldn't fall into the same trap. Jab and punch and take the points win rather than go for a k.o.

I know you'll disagree, but I don't think Alvarez 'lost' this fight. GGG's corner did warn him around 8th round that he was losing the fight. He came back but not enough to overturn Alvarez's lead. If anything I think a majority draw should have been the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I know you'll disagree, but I don't think Alvarez 'lost' this fight. GGG's corner did warn him around 8th round that he was losing the fight. He came back but not enough to overturn Alvarez's lead. If anything I think a majority draw should have been the decision.
    Half way through a 4 week driving tour of France and Spain at the moment (this retiring lark ain't bad)
    So haven't seen the fight yet, seems to be a split by the 'experts' who they think won but the last round appears to have won it for Alvarez.
    Another money spinning 3rd fight next year me thinks.

Half way through a 4 week driving tour of France and Spain at the moment (this retiring lark ain't bad)
    So haven't seen the fight yet, seems to be a split by the 'experts' who they think won but the last round appears to have won it for Alvarez.
    Another money spinning 3rd fight next year me thinks.
    4 week driving tour eh? In Spain and France even. Le Tour and La Vuelta da Espana perhaps but with a motor !!! Well done.
    Got me there for a moment but then I remember your mode of transport!

Name:  300px-Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  19.9 KB

Trolol!!!

On the latter subject it was a good fight. But I think for discerning fans like us, we must look beyond the obvious and the normal reading or watching that most people would observe.
    Instead we must look at the standpoint of the judges or perhaps as someone who understands a bit on what matters in boxing fights that go the distance. Ignore the hype and cries of 'fix', instead look at what counts.
    True GGG threw more punches but Alvarez shaded it quite clearly in the big hits and more telling punches.
    There are a few boxing score cards showing all these and instantly you can why the judges shaded it for Alvarez.
    But yes it was close, could have gone either way, depending how one sees a particular round. A majority draw I think would have ben better. 2 judges scoring 114- 114 and 1 giving it to Alvarez 115-113.

But as it stands, you're right, a trilogy is needed to decide this once for all. However given GGG is getting older, it has to be advantage Alvarez.

Just as I thought AJ far to big and to strong for the Russian. Forget Fury and White there is only one fight the crowd want to see and that is Wilder in front of 80,000 British fans.

Just as I thought AJ far to big and to strong for the Russian. Forget Fury and White there is only one fight the crowd want to see and that is Wilder in front of 80,000 British fans.
    Can't disagree. You just felt it was a matter of time before AJ would 'corner; him with a few big hitters. Actually I had it 3 rounds even on points at the end of 6. but AJ was already finding his feet after a slow start and you knew it was going to end.
    I have been wanting this Wilder v AJ fight for years to determine the undefeated and unified crown.
    However, Fury is a smart fighter and if he dances his way and jabs like he can, he can win this Dec 1st fight on points.
    But Wilder is equally fast and I've seen him get it right - jab, punch and hit - a rare sight in boxing.
    I dunno if you've seen him fight but I've been following him for years.
    Obviously AJ has fought the better opponents and you can see a sense of 'Aliesque' in him. Always probing and looking for the opening to land the killer blow.

The question now is whether Wilder has a mandatory rematch with Fury if he loses? And if not, whether a Fury v AJ fight can go ahead, given the long standing bad blood between Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn.
    If Wilder wins, the April 13th fight is easier. If not, all bets are off.
    But also a question of purse. Fury and for that matter Wilder will want as close to 50% as possible but whether AJ/Hearn will agree is another matter.
    Next is location, will Wilder want to travel to a hostile Wembley of insist on a Vegas fight? I think Vegas is the better location. It's still the 'mecca' of boxing despite what most Brits may say. A Vegas fight will also give AJ the upper hand to demand a 60-40 split that Hearn would want. If Wilder has to travel he will demand equal share.
    Finally, the issue of who's to judge and referee will be the last obstacle.

It seems so hard to organise top fights these days.
    Whatever happened to good ol' days when Don King 'fixed' everything eh?
    Last edited by Romanis; 24-09-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Can't disagree. You just felt it was a matter of time before AJ would 'corner; him with a few big hitters. Actually I had it 3 rounds even on points at the end of 6. but AJ was already finding his feet after a slow start and you knew it was going to end.
    I have been wanting this Wilder v AJ fight for years to determine the undefeated and unified crown.
    However, Fury is a smart fighter and if he dances his way and jabs like he can, he can win this Dec 1st fight on points.
    But Wilder is equally fast and I've seen him get it right - jab, punch and hit - a rare sight in boxing.
    I dunno if you've seen him fight but I've been following him for years.
    Obviously AJ has fought the better opponents and you can see a sense of 'Aliesque' in him. Always probing and looking for the opening to land the killer blow.

The question now is whether Wilder has a mandatory rematch with Fury if he loses? And if not, whether a Fury v AJ fight can go ahead, given the long standing bad blood between Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn.
    If Wilder wins, the April 13th fight is easier. If not, all bets are off.
    But also a question of purse. Fury and for that matter Wilder will want as close to 50% as possible but whether AJ/Hearn will agree is another matter.
    Next is location, will Wilder want to travel to a hostile Wembley of insist on a Vegas fight? I think Vegas is the better location. It's still the 'mecca' of boxing despite what most Brits may say. A Vegas fight will also give AJ the upper hand to demand a 60-40 split that Hearn would want. If Wilder has to travel he will demand equal share.
    Finally, the issue of who's to judge and referee will be the last obstacle.

It seems so hard to organise top fights these days.
    Whatever happened to good ol' days when Don King 'fixed' everything eh?
    Years ago I could name every world champion at their weight because there were only about 9 of them, then came light this and super that Plus IBF, WBO on top of WBA and WBC. Now their are as many as 4/5 champions at every weight which is absolutely ridiculous and made boxing a farce at times.
    Politics plays a large part in boxing now days. If AJ as to go to the states he will take a few thousand noisy Brits with him so it will be like a home fight anyway.

Just watched the AJ- Povetkin fight. AJ finished it well but he can't afford to start slow and get caught like he did if and when he fights the big boys Fury and Wilder.
    I noticed against both Povetkin and Joshua he doesn't cope to well when they rush him throwing punches. He flaps a bit and looks uncomfortable, will be interesting to see the tactics used against him if he fights one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast