+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't think we will go up

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    This isn't a negative 'I think we are ****' post. Just been thinking about our opening games and what we have available and I just currently don't see this squad earning promotion. Derby and Stoke have both looked woeful since we beat them and lets be honest Rotherham will be relegation fodder.

Now, I think Bielsa is an absolute genius and is the best man we could have in charge but I do not think for a 46 game high octane season he has the squad to get us up. We are playing some brilliant stuff and at times better than anything I've seen since we got relegated but in every game cracks have shown, particularly in defence where already our paper thin options were exposed massively against Swansea who though a good team looked ****e when I watched them before they played us.

Just a thought, loving what we are doing but I really don't see how this squad gets promoted once the injuries and suspensions set in or the weeks where we have 3 games in a week over winter. Berardi is absolutely hopeless at centre back, he gives it his all and puts in great tackles but the man cannot man mark or beat a striker to a header in the box.

Now, if we suddenly sign a centre back and a winger I'll have a bit more hope but currently I feel we will be entertaining to watch but our defensive frailties especially when we've got someone like Ayling or Cooper out will cost us too many goals causing us to lose/draw games we should win. You look at Villa bringing in El Ghazi and Bolasie and we are still dining at the kiddies table when it comes to transfer dealings which amazes me, if we gave this man a real quality squad we'd walk the league.

Think it has heightened more recently having seen Basic, Kalas and El Ghazi all move on loan to clubs in our league as I keep seeing other teams strengthen and us just sitting there fingers in ears like our squad depth isn't an issue. I love Bielsa but I genuinely think he is seriously over looking the intensity of this league if he thinks this squad is good enough for a promotion charge, our first 11 when all fit, yes, is good but outside of that when the pressure is on I just don't see it working out.

I'd be happy right now if we are 8th come January, think for this squad that would be a great achievement.

Like I said not being negative, that is just how I see it with what we have right now going forward especially with likes of Forshaw and Jansson who are made of glass.
    I hear you and don’t completely disagree with most of the points made.

Just think Bielsa has them looking very fit and he has a clear plan and idea as to how he wants the game played. Read somewhere when he was asked if he felt like changing formation against Swansea he said absolutely not if he doesn’t have confidence in plan A how can he expect the players to.

he clearly understands whether innately or through deep thought that (mathematically/statistically) you have to allow things time to work and just because you haven’t turned over the trump,card with your style of play in the first 60 minutes stay with it as there is still 90mins to play.

Klich has been a revelation and I think finally we have a coach to unlock Phillips potential.

i do worry what will happen if Forshaw or Janssen end up being out for a while as I agree they add quality to the squad.

however, whatever this weird wonderful parallel universe we have alighted upon is where we win and play attractive football I just want to hold onto and enjoy the ride for as long as possible.

I also hope that if we do get injuries that it allows the youngsters to shine. Think back to 1997/8/9 when we had bowyer, Harte, Woodgate, Jones, Mcphail, Smith, Kewell etc coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    We still have Forshaw to come back into midfield and the versatile Dallas who has had a few injuries during his time here. Hopefully Bielsa might get him reaching the displays he regularly put's in for Norden Iron. Yes its a 46 game marathon, we have a relatively small squad to others, but already see some teams having problems accomodating bloated squads. Less can be more...
    'Norn Iron'.....But good effort! Lol.

Joel, glass half empty? FFS we have grounds to be optimistic for a change........

I think we will get relegated.

Bielsa out now before its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolves were defintely the most "talented team" last year player wise.

However, cardiff was nowhere near the second best. I think MB is just as good of coach as NW.

many years the teams promoted were mid pack, at best, talent wise. There are perenial teams like Brentford and Millwall that play above their talent level and sell of talent.

he has a lot of youngsters that want to ride this club up to the prem. They may make it 45+ games without breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastAndy View Post
    'Norn Iron'.....But good effort! Lol.

Joel, glass half empty? FFS we have grounds to be optimistic for a change........
    Nah, I am very happy with how we are playing but just being honest in that I think we will struggle in terms of quality in depth and that will inevitably cost us.

Like I said if we are 8th or higher come January I'd be happy with this squad. Just worries me if say Saiz was out long term and Cooper/Jansson we'd be short. Bielsa is a genius and I genuinely can't think of a better manager to take us up, just think if he was given better tools to work with it would be almost certain rather than possible, baffles me that we haven't invested in 1/2 more quality signings to really give us that edge over other teams.

It's probably sensible to not get carried away but we should also enjoy the moment. With Jansson, Cooper, Forshaw and Dallas to come back in plus hopefully a couple more development players on the verge of breaking through I don't think we are looking too shabby. From what we have seen so far I would be concerned if Saiz or Roofe were injured because they have looked by far the most likely to upset the opposition. Klitch started well (which was a bonus after last season) but was fairly anonymous against Swansea. Douglas also had a relatively poor game on Tuesday but looks a great acquisition based on his previous performances. We definitely need 2 or 3 quality signings if we are going to sustain this until the end of the season. I am not convinced about Bamford ........ yet. I suppose the other approach is to keep going at 100 mph until we blow up and hope that by that point we have accumulated enough points to stagger over the threshold for a play off place. Whatever happens it's better than watching Lasogga lumbering around like a 3 legged Bison with rickets or that clueless idiot Sackho running extremely quickly but with no clue as to what to do with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Wolves were defintely the most "talented team" last year player wise.

However, cardiff was nowhere near the second best. I think MB is just as good of coach as NW.

many years the teams promoted were mid pack, at best, talent wise. There are perenial teams like Brentford and Millwall that play above their talent level and sell of talent.

he has a lot of youngsters that want to ride this club up to the prem. They may make it 45+ games without breaking down.
    MB and NW in the same sentence? FFS wash yer keyboard out Spaldy.

You're right Joel. For example, if we'd had Bartley against Swansea we'd probably have won, McBurnie would certainly not have had the freedom he had against Ayling and Berardi. So you could argue we're already -2 points because of our refusal to strengthen.

And yes, a reality check is definitely needed. We ran rings round Stoke, but so did Wigan last night. Yes we hammered Derby, and yes we played some beautiful football, but then could easily have lost to Rotherham, and were let's be honest pretty lucky to come away from Swansea with a point. I think tomorrow against Norwich will give us a better idea of where we really are.

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    You're right Joel. For example, if we'd had Bartley against Swansea we'd probably have won, McBurnie would certainly not have had the freedom he had against Ayling and Berardi. So you could argue we're already -2 points because of our refusal to strengthen.

And yes, a reality check is definitely needed. We ran rings round Stoke, but so did Wigan last night. Yes we hammered Derby, and yes we played some beautiful football, but then could easily have lost to Rotherham, and were let's be honest pretty lucky to come away from Swansea with a point. I think tomorrow against Norwich will give us a better idea of where we really are.
    Thats my issue. I love Berardi but he is not a centre back at all and he isn't that good on the ball that he makes up for it so I really don't understand the logic behind not getting an extra centre back in there, I can't believe Bartley wasn't signed he is good on the ball, quick and a leader who formed the best parterneship in league with Pontus.

I really think it will cost us points rather than save us points this year if we do not get at least another centre back in the squad, it was worrying how weak we looked at the back vs Swansea alarms bell should ring when the opposition striker gets a completely free unmarked header from a cross

Or even Kalas. Not so much Flint as I can see why he wouldn't suit Bielsa but I genuinely don't understand why we've not invested in the centre back position.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)