+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings v Lincoln

Match Ratings v Lincoln

Oh dear, oh dear......just when you thought we couldn't get any worse....no fight, no skill...nothing.

The match can be summed up by this brief statement......2 shots on target, 1 corner (in the 93rd minute) and never in the match apart from a low-n-hard Kellett free kick that found the net and Hemming hitting the post a few minutes later.....Lincoln dominated this game for 85 minutes and it was basically a training match for them.

Notts formation confused me, as well as Lincoln.....it started as a 3-5-2, collapsing into a 5-3-2 and morphed into a 4-4-2 with us hoofing the ball out of defence....it was a strange game tbh.

Notts won't get promoted unless we improve 1,000%, and hopefully not relegated, we are in for a long hard season.

Fitz - 3.5.....saved one shot and gifted them another when he came out to punch, clattered Toots in the process and the Portugeezer, Mario Andretti netted easily....distribution poor, he has gone back to hoofball.

Tootle - 4.... played as an over-lapping wing-back with Hewey behind him...weird, didn't look fit anyway and now has separate injuries

Hewey - 3.5.....really not sure why he is in a back 3, simply not a commanding defender....needs to get back into midfield....aimless punts downfield

Duffers - 4....played in the back 3 with Hewey and Bris, over-stretched his knee in a foot race with the Portugeezer, Andretti......did ok, smashed the ball into touch at the slightest opportunity

Brisley - 4....same as Duffers, no nonsense defending but the Licoln forwards simply wanted it more then Notts, Akinde pretty much dominated our centre-backs

Kellett - 4.5....played the opposite-side role of Toots.....tried to get forward and helped back in defence....good goal, low-n-hard from the edge of the box through a mass of players

Crawford - 4.....Difficult to mark either him or Husin because both had ample time to get on the ball and do something, anything, but no spark or flair....no obvious errors either.....seemed to be a lot of sideways passing or pointless lobs up in the air tbh.

Husin - 3.5....See Crawford but definitely wasted more balls attempting quick flicks to non-existent players

Enzio - 4.5....decent first half but faded badly along with his two forwards...helped out a few times in defence....like, Dennis and Hemmings, must be wondering what he has signed up for

Dennis - 3.5....hardly in the game, doesn't look match-fit....he is only as good as the service from our midfield though.

Hemmings - 4....the better of the front 2 with more energy and effort....no real chances apart from the one that hit the post

Hawk - 4.5.....Came on for the injured Toots.....thought he did well holding onto the ball and even without creating much, stopped Lincoln from over-running us.....Husin needs to take note!

Bird - 4....Came on for the injured Duffy...young tall 19 year-old looked ok though a bit nervous...OK in the air though a bit sloppy in possession...one for the future, will get better as he gains confidence

Vaughan - 4...Replaced the other 19 year-old, Crawford.....say it all on the tin "confident, foot-on-ball, hold onto the ball"

Overall a poor poor Notts, Nolo is now on borrowed time IMO.....Lincoln's goals on an easy day for them....the first was a superb volley from outside the box by their MOM Frecklington, the 2nd was gifted to the Portugeezer by Fitz who tried to punch the ball off Akinde's noggin but dropped to the geezer....the 3rd was gifted by the free-running Portugeezer who coasted past our defence and slammed it low into the area for some other Gimp to slam home.

Men against boys I'm afraid......off to get rat-arsed....toodles.
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 25-08-2018 at 04:50 PM.

What's happened to Will Patching that we got from Man City?

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    What's happened to Will Patching that we got from Man City?
    Didn't he have glandular fever when he arrived and therefore missed pre season or was that someone else? I think he's just not fit but I'm not even sure what type of midfielder he is other than he's meant to be highly rated.

Everything Husin tried to do today didn't work, it's like he was playing in a different game to everyone else, he was trying to chip the ball down the line or in behind when players just weren't making those runs and even when he tried to switch the play it ended up going over Enzio's head.

I note you have now worked out what I was telling you last season Tarkers, Fitz's distribution is no better than Adam Collin's (it's much worse imo) and both are/were just following instructions. At least when Collin played a long ball it went in the general area of a Notts player that you could tell he was aiming for (admittedly he did have Shola to aim for usually). When Fitz plays it forward he literally just kicks it up the pitch and hopes a Notts player will be able to run to it, even in the warm up most of his kicks were going nowhere near Culverwell when Crossley was just rolling the ball to him...

Never ceases to amaze me how sh*te Notts can be and our fans still blindly applaud them at the end of a game, thankfully I didn't go but i wonder if they applauded them after the Swansea mauling? I wouldn't mind but the second half Kellet and to a lesser extent Bird looked like the only players that gave a sh*t and Kellett stopped a certain goal with a great tackle that would have made it 4-1.

Fair play to Nolan for at least trying to change things around in terms of system and personnel, but I agree with the OP - men against boys today. The worst thing was that Lincoln, good as they undoubtedly are, didn’t have to get out of second gear. I doubt they’ll have an easier game all season.

It’s scary how fragmented and lopsided the squad is currently; I really don’t know where we go from here but next week is absolutely massive. It’s never a good sign when new recruits - in a number of areas - are essential after five games.

Fitzsimons- 5 - Was a fan before this season, but has failed his audition as #1 and i’m expecting a new first choice to arrive next week. Doesn’t command his area in the slightest and failure to deal with routine cross for the second goal - which came against the run of play - was the turning point.

Tootle - 5.5 - Fair play to him for playing when not fully fit. Now has another (different) injury to contend with. Struggled a bit against a v good left winger.

Hewitt - 5 - Gave Akinde the easiest game he’ll have all season, barely laid a glove on him. But it’s hard not to feel for him - played three positions (RCB/CB/R today alone and is clearly struggling with being moved around every game. You’d have to be a very, very good player not to. Get a loan defender in and get him back in midfield where he’s missed.

Duffy - 5.5 - Did ok the time he was on. Many were keen for him to come out of the team and they’ll now get their wish. In my view we’ve much bigger areas of concern - his regular defensive partner being one of them.

Brisley - 5 - Aerially strong but struggles in a back 3 where you’ve often got to defend in wider areas/be more mobile. Couldn’t understand why he didn’t move into the centre - directly up against Akinde - when Duffy went off, and Hewitt was moved there instead.

Kellett - 7* - Great free kick/goal and did well defensively when offered little/no cover all game. One goal-saving tackle. On this evidence, a better LB than Jones and LM than Thomas on current form. Definitely deserves to keep his place.

Crawford - 6 - Kept it simple and worked hard, as you’d expect for a 19 y/o on his full league debut. Doubt even he expected to play as much as he has by this stage, but that’s where we are due to the recruitment. Unlucky to come off.

Husin - 4 - Oh dear. A passenger off the ball (as usual) but also regularly giving it away and offering nothing on it. Clearly has ability but why he’s starting over Vaughan and he completed the 90 today is beyond me.

Boldewijn- 5 - Moved out of position out of necessity to try to give us more solidity. Couple of bright moments first half but generally couldn’t get him in the game; needed to come wide and challenge the full backs more, rather than staying in the congested middle.

Dennis - 6 - Never stopped trying and gave everything but had nothing to work with. You can sign the best attackers in the world but if you can’t get them the ball...

Hemmings - 6 - Like his strike partner, worked hard and challenged for every ball against the best defensive partnership in the league. So unlucky with his shot which hit the post at 1-1; if that goes in, maybe it’s a different game.

Hawkridge- 6 - Did what he does well, worked hard and kept it neat and tidy in possession. In my view we’ve missed his defensive work on the wing this season.

Bird - 6 - Must’ve hurt to see Nolan reshuffle things further rather than bring him on when Duffy was injured, but did ok when he was eventually called upon. Very comfortable in possession and a decent prospect.

Vaughan - 6 - Thought he did ok in and out of possession. Bad decision not to start him; isn’t the signing we needed but is definitely a better bet than Husin currently.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 25-08-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Fair play to Nolan for at least trying to change things around in terms of system and personnel, but I agree with the OP - men against boys today. The worst thing was that Lincoln, good as they undoubtedly are, didn’t have to get out of second gear. I doubt they’ll have an easier game all season.

It’s scary how fragmented and lopsided the squad is currently; I really don’t know where we go from here but next week is absolutely massive. It’s never a good sign when new recruits - in a number of areas - are essential after five games.

Fitzsimons- 5 - Was a fan before this season, but has failed his audition as #1 and i’m expecting a new first choice to arrive next week. Doesn’t command his area in the slightest and failure to deal with routine cross for the second goal - which came against the run of play - was the turning point.

Tootle - 5.5 - Fair play to him for playing when not fully fit. Now has another (different) injury to contend with. Struggled a bit against a v good left winger.

Hewitt - 5 - Gave Akinde the easiest game he’ll have all season, barely laid a glove on him. But it’s hard not to feel for him - played three positions (RCB/CB/R today alone and is clearly struggling with being moved around every game. You’d have to be a very, very good player not to. Get a loan defender in and get him back in midfield where he’s missed.

Duffy - 5.5 - Did ok the time he was on. Many were keen for him to come out of the team and they’ll now get their wish. In my view we’ve much bigger areas of concern - his regular defensive partner being one of them.

Brisley - 5 - Aerially strong but struggles in a back 3 where you’ve often got to defend in wider areas/be more mobile. Couldn’t understand why he didn’t move into the centre - directly up against Akinde - when Duffy went off, and Hewitt was moved there instead.

Kellett - 7* - Great free kick/goal and did well defensively when offered little/no cover all game. One goal-saving tackle. On this evidence, a better LB than Jones and LM than Thomas on current form. Definitely deserves to keep his place.

Crawford - 6 - Kept it simple and worked hard, as you’d expect for a 19 y/o on his full league debut. Doubt even he expected to play as much as he has by this stage, but that’s where we are due to the recruitment. Unlucky to come off.

Husin - 4 - Oh dear. A passenger off the ball (as usual) but also regularly giving it away and offering nothing on it. Clearly has ability but why he’s starting over Vaughan and he completed the 90 today is beyond me.

Boldewijn- 5 - Moved out of position out of necessity to try to give us more solidity. Couple of bright moments first half but generally couldn’t get him in the game; needed to come wide and challenge the full backs more, rather than staying in the congested middle.

Dennis - 6 - Never stopped trying and gave everything but had nothing to work with. You can sign the best attackers in the world but if you can’t get them the ball...

Hemmings - 6 - Like his strike partner, worked hard and challenged for every ball against the best defensive partnership in the league. So unlucky with his shot which hit the post at 1-1; if that goes in, maybe it’s a different game.

Hawkridge- 6 - Did what he does well, worked hard and kept it neat and tidy in possession. In my view we’ve missed his defensive work on the wing this season.

Bird - 6 - Must’ve hurt to see Nolan reshuffle things further rather than bring him on when Duffy was injured, but did ok when he was eventually called upon. Very comfortable in possession and a decent prospect.

Vaughan - 6 - Thought he did ok in and out of possession. Bad decision not to start him; isn’t the signing we needed but is definitely a better bet than Husin currently.
    Thanks for saving me a job. Bit to generous rating for Husin for me but can't disagree with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Didn't he have glandular fever when he arrived and therefore missed pre season or was that someone else? I think he's just not fit but I'm not even sure what type of midfielder he is other than he's meant to be highly rated.

Everything Husin tried to do today didn't work, it's like he was playing in a different game to everyone else, he was trying to chip the ball down the line or in behind when players just weren't making those runs and even when he tried to switch the play it ended up going over Enzio's head.

I note you have now worked out what I was telling you last season Tarkers, Fitz's distribution is no better than Adam Collin's (it's much worse imo) and both are/were just following instructions. At least when Collin played a long ball it went in the general area of a Notts player that you could tell he was aiming for (admittedly he did have Shola to aim for usually). When Fitz plays it forward he literally just kicks it up the pitch and hopes a Notts player will be able to run to it, even in the warm up most of his kicks were going nowhere near Culverwell when Crossley was just rolling the ball to him...

Never ceases to amaze me how sh*te Notts can be and our fans still blindly applaud them at the end of a game, thankfully I didn't go but i wonder if they applauded them after the Swansea mauling? I wouldn't mind but the second half Kellet and to a lesser extent Bird looked like the only players that gave a sh*t and Kellett stopped a certain goal with a great tackle that would have made it 4-1.
    Sometimes I'm a bit slow, or maybe I like to give players the benefit of the doubt?......either way, I'm losing my patience with Fitz....poor kicking and he cannot punch a ball either, gifting them the 2nd.......agreed about Husin, some of his passing, lobs and chips were just bizarre.....he needs to watch Vaughan or even Hawk a bit more, both of them attempted to put their foot on the ball and pick a pass instead of guessing-assuming that players would automatically run into spaces....or even outer space!

Hard to give ratings for that game as we were so poor again. So just a few comments from me.

Fitz simply isn't a league-quality keeper. How our management team - and in particular Crossley - have got this so wrong, I do not know. Never thought I'd say it, but I'd have Collin back in a heartbeat.

Husin - this is the game that made me realise he's not up to it. He's clearly got some ability, but his decision making is awful. The amount of times he gave the ball away rather than keeping it. There was one time where we'd been struggling for about 5 mins to get the ball back off Lincoln. When we finally did, Huisn received it in the middle of the park, and for once there was no Lincoln players closing down. All he had to do was keep it, take the pressure off, and find a man, but instead he launched a cross field pass over the head of Enzio and out of play.

Crawford - didn't have an impact on the game. Summed up the 'men against boys' theme. He may well have a bright future, but if we're relying on ****agers with no league experience in tough matches like this, we'll always struggle.

The rest just turned up and got turned over. But fair play to Kellet for trying and grabbing a goal, to Bird for stepping up and not disgracing himself, and to Hawkridge for proving that none of the new signings are any better than he is.

Just an awful performance from an awful team. As others have said, their third goal just summed it up. Bostwick won three headers in a row in their box, the ball was launched forward to Akinde, who brought it down easily and linked up the play resulting in their goal. We simply couldn't compete physically or mentally. Even my wife, who knows nothing about football, commented that when we have the ball, their players are all over us, and when have the ball, our players are chasing shadows.

I just hate watching performances like that. As a fan of a lower-league club, I don't expect fancy step-overs and silky skills; I expect 100% commitment from players that are up for the battle. I'm more likely to get out of my seat for a crunching tackle than a Cruyff turn. We simply don't have a player of that ilk, which is ridiculous in the bottom division.

So, so, so disappointed. Verging on angry. How have me managed to mess this up so massively?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    So, so, so disappointed. Verging on angry. How have me managed to mess this up so massively?
    Conclusion of a lengthy, well-observed and detailed report from a reasonable, articulate, away following, long term Notts fan not known for their hyperbole or negativity.

Rose tinted specs notwithstanding, Notts should take note.

I didn’t understand last season the stick that Collin got from some of our fans.
    He was a good keeper in all areas but his kicking was sometimes suspect.
    Fitz never filled me with the same confidence and less so now.
    And that is ignoring his antics of kicking a player up the arse and costing us a game last season!

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Conclusion of a lengthy, well-observed and detailed report from a reasonable, articulate, away following, long term Notts fan not known for their hyperbole or negativity.

Rose tinted specs notwithstanding, Notts should take note.
    Yes I agree. Strangely the criticism in the wake of this match has been more intelligent and more reasonable than after Colchester and Cambridge .

I was in favour of not jumping to conclusions, I know we hate hearing that players need to gel but sometimes it does take a while to click, for the players to get to know each other, for the manager to find the right balance and so on. But it's clear now even to an optimist like me that this isn't working.

I feel that Nolan is an unlucky manager. For all his faults, if Forest hadn't taken Yates back against promises given, if Shola's legs had gone 15 games later, if Mason Bennett had played more than 30 minutes before getting injured, we probably would've got promoted.

This season, for all this team lacks, if strikers hadn't missed sitters and the back five hadn't gone rogue we would have had a few more points on the board and less pressure. Even yesterday if he hadn't had to abort his new system early on it might have been different. Who knows, maybe it's even a good thing that the start has been catastrophic, it's forcing us to confront the weaknesses in the team, I don't know. But I do think Nolan can count himself a bit unlucky to be here.

But here we are, and something has to change. If we sack the manager it has to be an upgrade, someone with a track record of promotion. For the sake of argument let's say Cotterill - one of the best lower league managers around - took over tomorrow, he'd still need to bring players in in the exact same positions that KN and AH will be trying to do this week, so that's where the key decisions will be made this week, not whether or not the manager stays.

We were never going to beat Lincoln realistically. Assuming that KN has recognised the problems in the team and style of play I'd let him stay for the winnable (in theory) games coming up against FGR, Northampton, Crewe and so on.

I must have said it a hundred times on various threads over the years but the key to success in this division is a well drilled, hungry, physically imposing team with a sprinkling of quality. We have the quality which is the most difficult part of the equation to find, the organisation and the hunger should be in KN's skill set, we just need to realise, and if it's not clear by now it never will be, that if we pick our best eleven ball players it won't work. So if I was AH I'd back Nolan with whatever he wants to do this week, be that bringing in loans, backroom staff or whatever.

If KN can get us back to mid table and keep us there I'd leave him to try to find the missing pieces of the jigsaw in the January window. If he serves up another shambles against FGR or if we beat FGR but can't get towards mid table after that, I'm afraid that even for this rose tinted optimist it's time to get a new man in with time to plan his own signings for January.
    Last edited by drillerpie; 26-08-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast