Looking at out of contract players on Transfermarkt to see if there's anyone that could SOS- Save Our Season, there's a few familiar names, some in the list are way out of our reach I'd imagine (I'm not even putting Terry or Huth in the list) and some might not even be improvements at this point in their careers but there's a few out there and Nolan seems to be saying he's working on bringing in some out of contract players but couldn't get them over the line in time for today, could they be any of these players?

CB's

Nedum Onuoha
Micah Richards - ha
Chris Samba - also ha
James Collins - West Ham link
Gareth McAuley
Matt Mills - Wiki actually has him playing in India...
Sebastien Bassong - not played for a while
Kelvin Wilson - The long awaited return!
Seb Hines - Good at boro a while back before heading to the US, might be retired and/or US based

Midfielders - There's a lot of big name midfielders available so it's harder to list realistic "ish" players;

Rohan Ince - Third cousin of Paul, on loan at Bury last season, released by Brighton and only 25
Nigel Reo-Coker - Not done much for ages but also ex West Ham
Yussuf Mulumbu
Claudio Yacob
Jan Kirchoff
Karl Henry
Lewis McGugan - Obviously not defensive but interesting that he's available, I think he has injury issues so he'd slot right in to our squad!

Highly doubt any of them would drop to League 2 other than maybe Ince as he was at Bury last season

GK's

Jake Kean
Ross Turnbull
And not a great deal else that's even close to being realistic, I'm not even sure either would be improvements to be honest, don't think Turnbull has actually played in years after being a perennial backup and Jake Kean used to be a highly rated youngster but looking at his career history presumably didn't really amount to much.

Kelle Roos from Derby was linked (mostly by our fans I think) in the summer but I'm not sure they'd send their second choice keeper out on loan and stick a kid on their bench.

After doing this I've decided there ain't really much available unless Nolan/Hardy pull something special out, although Forest seem to have "agreed to sell" Brereton to Blackburn in a deal that is a "Loan with an option to buy" so maybe we could do something similar to bring in someone and get around the fact that the window is shut?