+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's next for The Poisoned Chalice?

NCM cliche number 1: "Football is a results based game". Well you can't argue with that. Just 8 victories in 2018. Poor away form and the myth of home invincibility blown away conclusively.

NCM cliche number 2:" If you pay peanuts you get monkeys". In the past this was fair criticism of Notts but whether you like or loathe Big Al, he has certainly put his money where his mouth is. Unfortunately we didn't use even a small part of our budget to address the long-term, glaring weaknesses in our squad: powerhouse, no-nonsense centre back, 'beast' of a ballwinner in midfield and I would also add a goalkeeper who makes the penalty area his own.

Kevin Nolan did great work in his first season with us but so did Derry. For me Nolan's main problem was that he was fixated on one system of play, he couldn't adapt and he often played players who were totally off form. I wish him well but this dismissal was no knee jerk reaction.

Now Hardy has to step up to the plate and bring in a worthy successor. Hopefully not Chettle long term but stranger things have happened at Notts in the past. My preference would be for Gary Bowyer but I understand that he left Blackpool to spend more time with his family and start a degree course. Would he give up that relatively 'comfortable' life for the pressure of sorting out our mess?

As for Cotterill: not sure. Remember he didn't make one signing for us, so we don't know whether he could build a successful squad or not. He turned an under-performing team round but his track record - apart from a big budget success at Bristol City - is poor to abject. Then of course you have to take into account the bullsh!t he spun us about wanting to work closer to his family, before signing up for the Scummers....

One thing is for sure, there's never a dull moment supporting Notts.

COYP

So Cotterill, who left under a cloud, became a redback and failed and minimal success since Notts would be welcomed with open arms? NEVER GO BACK is a sound philosophy - for him and Notts. Mick McCarthy's salary would be way beyond what Notts could afford and he'd never taken it on without a substantial budget. I have to say Fullarton is doing an amazing job at Halifax....
    My point being, it's hard to predict who will be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think he would, but not quite so quickly. He would need the chairman's backing to the address the defensive and midfield weaknesses, but that's probably the case for whoever comes in. A bit like last time, I'm sure Cotterill would take one look at the ability of the existing squad and conclude they should be working a lot harder and achieving a lot more than they are.
    Substitute *Cotterill* and insert *any manager you care to name* and you're spot on, jackal2!

I don't think Cotterill would come back to Notts.

"PSYCHO" (got lots of red-shirted friends here)

Whoever gets it (my moneys on Chettle & his red mate) had better turn things around by Xmas or our lynch mob fans will be enjoying the hunt yet again & it looks like AH could be quicker on the draw than Trew, we are turning into a proper Cowboy Club.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    To be honest Jackal, I suspect bar the contract negotiation it's Bowyer on Monday. Chettle and Crossley ex team mates, at our last home match ,Nottingham man and the transfer window shuts this week, must win game on Saturday.
    Time's pressing
    I would be equally happy with Bowyer. his first two jobs saw him wrestling with behind the scenes chaos at Blackburn and Blackpool and he did very well at both in the circumstances. This job would seem like calm waters compared with what he's had to put up with!

I wouldn't automatically expect an early appointment though. It says that Steve Chettle and Mark Crossley have been put in temporary charge until a new manager is appointed, which of course doesn't literally rule out Chettle himself. I don't think that would be a good or popular appointment, not least because of his lack of experience, but it could be Hardy's way of giving him a few games to see how he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Substitute *Cotterill* and insert *any manager you care to name* and you're spot on, jackal2!
    Probably right! Although at least we know Cotterill did actually get more (much, much more!) out the players he inherited, whereas some managers don't have that impact.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Actually, I'm warming towards Mick McCarthy, thinking about it. Would he come?
    No, Mick McCarthy is obviously not going to come to the team bottom of the Football League.

Bowyer is the obvious candidate who would be both good and realistic. Cotterill has been pretty hopeless everywhere he has been since he left Notts, I wouldn't really want to go back there.

Keith Curle anybody?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast