+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OGC Nice 0 Dijon 4

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    We have rehearsed these arguments ovva and ovva ageean Animal and we will never probably fully agree. I put more weight on Cryne's role immediately after administration when other potential owners were coughing and turning their backs and on his quiet bankrolling of the club over 14 years. These Flash 'Arry's ev been here a few months and all ev seen so far ez been the c0ck up appointing Morais and us being relegated. I hope for better things starting with no more sales of players this week as Conway promised the other week.
    I just feel at times SB you look at the Cryne tenure with rose tinted glasses on .

There's little doubt when Patrick Cryne walked out to bat in 2003 we were 70 for 6 with the ball seaming and an uneven bounce and he dug in and got us to a respectable total with support in the middle from Shepherd and Rowing .

What's always annoyed me was everytime we seemed to be getting to grips with the championship three managers had the rug pulled from under their feet .

Mark Robins had us in our best ever championship final position , the football wasn't great but none the less we never looked in danger of going down in his first full season , he wanted to kick on and some backing was required but instead the owner decided to enter FFP a year early and Robins left the club no doubt frustrated .

Enter Keef Hill and his league two budget , which is why he had to recruit league two players like McNulty , Wiseman and Kennedy .

He did very well for half his first season , thanks mainly to the superb Vaz Te who nobody wanted other than Keef .

I remember that spell in the autumn of his first season when we won 2-1 at Elland Road and then went to Peterborough a week later and won that one 4-3 , we were knocking on the door of the play offs as I remember playing some pretty decent stuff , the new years eve 4-1 tonking of Leeds at Oakwell and Vaz Te's hat trick was a great way to end the year .

It would never get that good again as Vaz Te left the club , Butterfield got injured , replaced by Dawson !!! and Dagnall replaced Vaz Te , we were lucky to stay up as it turned out due to Portsmouth's points deduction .

Keef eventually got the peddler later that year , the signing of Mido tended to reflect the contraints Keef worked under .

I don't need to underline the demise of the squad under Hecky when he had us 7th on new years day 2017 , it was as good as that got too for him as he had his team ripped apart .

Beer and skittles under Mr Cryne it most certainly wasn't SB .

Although the decision to secure the club's future at Oakwell by offering the council a stake in the stadium and land was a smart call .

Two promotions when not really fancied are credible along with the FA cup semi final , can't argue with those achievements .

Mixed bag for me SB in all fairness .

I think you underplay the part played by the players themselves (and their agents) who were pushing to go to bigger clubs and much bigger wages that were way out of our league. It wasn't all about greedy owners wishing to undermine the club. Hourihane went to £28,000 a week and the chance of a stab at the Premiership, Bree for £14,000 a week, Winnall for ? a week, Vaz Te to West Ham, Butterfield to Norwich, Drinkwater wasn't our player. You may be seeing these players through rose tinted glasses thinking they would devote their careers to BFC when rich pickings and higher status were on offer elsewhere.

These owners could shut everyone up by not selling anyone this week, and adding 2 or 3 modest signings with the loose change down the back of their sofas.
    I think our first XI could win us promotion but we need cover for injuries & suspensions.
    Why wouldn't we push home our advantage now and go for it.
    It would cost next to nothing to get everyone behind them.
    Even if they haven't got BFC's best interests at heart they could pretend they have for very little investment.
    2 or 3 free signings now could get everyone onside.
    Then, if we don't go up they receive no criticism.
    Maybe they will. We'll see.

I think you underplay the part played by the players themselves (and their agents) who were pushing to go to bigger clubs and much bigger wages that were way out of our league. It wasn't all about greedy owners wishing to undermine the club. Hourihane went to £28,000 a week and the chance of a stab at the Premiership, Bree for £14,000 a week, Winnall for ? a week, Vaz Te to West Ham, Butterfield to Norwich, Drinkwater wasn't our player. You may be seeing these players through rose tinted glasses thinking they would devote their careers to BFC when rich pickings and higher status were on offer elsewhere.
    I perfectly understand that it's difficult to keep our better players with the terms they are on here and the ability bigger club's have to attract them away from us .

Good grief SB I've seen every decent player sold other than Glavin and Redders , who was just past his best when he did go eventually to Charlton in my opinion .

It just seemed to me that under Cryne money trumped any potential success on the field first and foremost , when players were sold the replacements always seemed to be the unknown two bob variety which is why we never got a real foothold at championship level when the potential was there .

The club were offered Charlie Adam from Rangers for £500k and Kieron Trippier for £750k , the type of signings that would have significantly improved the squad at championship level and we wouldn't pay it .

Even back then these weren't fees that were beyond us as a championship club in my opinion and yet the ambition just wasn't there to kick on .

Whether the new owners will chance their arm if we are building something is yet to be determined but the history of Pat Cryne's tenure is written and signed off and we are in league one once again as a consequence .

Just my humble opinion .

The gradual building of the squad by one or two additional quality signings as well as retaining our best players is what I expect from these new owners. Cryne had a net worth of around £40 million and , as far as I can determine at the end the club owed him £6 million in loans plus he underwrote a £2 million overdraft. As far as I understand, of the £20 million paid by Big Chien's Gang £2 million went to pay off the overdraft and £6 million to repay the loan leaving a "profit" of £12 million to the Cryne family, about £1 million pound a year over the 14 years, as his reward for risking his capital in the ownership after administration. I don't know what Cryne paid for the club but that needs to be taken off the "profit" as well. The notion that Cryne had vast wealth to underwrite significant signings and pay big wages may be stretching things a little.
    These new Flash 'Arry's ev about £8,000 million and I know they have to work within FFP rules but the rules do not stop them spending a few million gradually building the squad. I have yet to hear any word of ambition in terms of say a five year plan to grow the club on the pitch. We sell before we buy, seek to make up the £6 million lost by relegation, and dress up not spending anything with "we are happy with what we have got" statements.
    Time will tell.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 27-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.

The gradual building of the squad by one or two additional quality signings as well as retaining our best players is what I expect from these new owners. Cryne had a net worth of around £40 million and , as far as I can determine at the end the club owed him £6 million in loans plus he underwrote a £2 million overdraft. As far as I understand, of the £20 million paid by Big Chien's Gang £2 million went to pay off the overdraft and £6 million to repay the loan leaving a "profit" of £12 million to the Cryne family, about £1 million pound a year over the 14 years, as his reward for risking his capital in the ownership after administration. I don't know what Cryne paid for the club but that needs to be taken off the "profit" as well. The notion that Cryne had vast wealth to underwrite significant signings and pay big wages may be stretching things a little.
    These new Flash 'Arry's ev about £8,000 million and I know they have to work within FFP rules but the rules do not stop them spending a few million gradually building the squad. I have yet to hear any word of ambition in terms of say a five year plan to grow the club on the pitch. We sell before we buy, seek to make up the £6 million lost by relegation, and dress up not spending anything with "we are happy with what we have got" statements.
    Time will tell.
    Sorry to interrupt your chat but haven't the board showed there intensions by sanctioning 9 new players while they've been in charge?

Arr like Mesta Lee , a shuc his hand atta reserve match , he se Loma yoo gentleman , no rike virrin ov the Varrys , he no rikey me !! Shuv tharrup thi pipe n smookit

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    Sorry to interrupt your chat but haven't the board showed there intensions by sanctioning 9 new players while they've been in charge?
    Thee geeit em Bill , thuv anoyle int glasses tha drinkin artton

Just looking through the present Nice squad and I've taken note in particular the players the club have recruited and fees paid out since Chien took over ownership of the club .

Allan Saint - Maximin €10m from Monaco

Myziane Maolida €10m from Lyon

Danilo €10m from Sporting Braga

Jean Victor Makengo €6m from Caen

Wylan Cyprien €5m from Lens

Christophe Herelle €5m from Troyes

Pierre Lees Melon €4m from Dijon

Racine Coly €3.5m from Brescia

Insan Sacko €2m from Strasbourg

Total outlay on the above players is €55.5m and I wouldn't have thought new coach Patrick Vieira came cheap either .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just looking through the present Nice squad and I've taken note in particular the players the club have recruited and fees paid out since Chien took over ownership of the club .

Allan Saint - Maximin €10m from Monaco

Myziane Maolida €10m from Lyon

Danilo €10m from Sporting Braga

Jean Victor Makengo €6m from Caen

Wylan Cyprien €5m from Lens

Christophe Herelle €5m from Troyes

Pierre Lees Melon €4m from Dijon

Racine Coly €3.5m from Brescia

Insan Sacko €2m from Strasbourg

Total outlay on the above players is €55.5m and I wouldn't have thought new coach Patrick Vieira came cheap either .
    You need to factor in wages that Big Chien has shed from not renewing contracts and Champions League income of 17 mill (all Euros) in 2017/18 plus all other sources of income of course and when transfer income goes in accounts, but just from transfers alone--

Transfer Activity 2018/19 Income 58.7 mill Expenditure 28.0 mill
    -------------------2017/18 Income 26.5 mill Expenditure 26.3 mill (plus 17 mill Champs League income)
    -------------------2016/17 Income 15.8 mill Expenditure 15.2 mill

A surplus of 30 odd mill from transfers alone plus 17 mill Champs League income. The 47 mill surplus will ev kept Chien happy.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 27-08-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast