+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Preston Match Review

Preston Match Review

Failing Madamster's in depth analysis, here's what I saw from The West Stand:

Key moment: Carson's first half save.

Man Of The Match: Mason Bennett, worked hard, lamped over some great crosses, earned his ovation

Opposition: Who said Preston would test us? I thought they were clueless

Messages for Frank: By all means play out from the back but buy some players who can do so first. Also tell Tomori he's passing to 2nd tier players so ease off on the pace of the pass, some of them were more like shots.

Stroke of luck: Keogh's goal, we're seeing some woeful goalkeeping this season, thankfully not from Carson

Been away in Germany since Tuesday and only got back last night......

Opening 25 they profited from half a dozen awful passes we attempted and, in that period, had the only shot that forced Carson into serious action.

The opening goal was easily the highlight of the 1st half. Bennett chases down a ball on the right, some 15 yards from his own goal line, moves puesoefully down the wing and, just inside his own half, gives Nugent a brilliant pass, he crosses to Mount and it's in the back of the net via the keeper's left leg. I'm struggling to see how anybody could not see that as the act of a footballer. He chased and harried, just as he did against Ipswich. This time he got a couple of decent balls which is more than he or Nugent got against Ipswich. The move that led to the goal started because he was back helping the defence. It continued because he kept control down the wing. Gained speed due to a fine pass that led to the cross.....

I agree with those who say the 1st half wasn't much to write home about.

2nd half was better. BJ continues to disappoint IMO. Somehow you just know that a yellow card is never far away.... and it wasn't. Bogle started brightly, got injured and was replaced by Wisdom who had, MO, his best performance of this season so far. Keogh started poorly but after the opening 25 grew into the game, got a goal and should have had a 2nd. Tomori was steady, made a few mistakes, which is not unexpected from someone who is still learning the game, but he managed to get back and sort it out himself. Fozzy is looking close to his best. Not happy with either BJ or Ledley at DM. Th 2 best we have are both injured. Bryson is looking sharp but isn't the player of 3 or 4 seasons ago.... yet? Mount is one for the future and is, like Tomori, still learning. Lawro too is, hopefully, learning. He still has the tendency to go too far when there were ample opportunities to place a telling pass. Nuge and Bennett bith work their asses off and would be helped greatly if they were given some half decent ball.

My MOTM - Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Failing Madamster's in depth analysis, here's what I saw from The West Stand:

Key moment: Carson's first half save.

Man Of The Match: Mason Bennett, worked hard, lamped over some great crosses, earned his ovation

Opposition: Who said Preston would test us? I thought they were clueless

Messages for Frank: By all means play out from the back but buy some players who can do so first. Also tell Tomori he's passing to 2nd tier players so ease off on the pace of the pass, some of them were more like shots.

Stroke of luck: Keogh's goal, we're seeing some woeful goalkeeping this season, thankfully not from Carson
    Andy think you are missing a couple of things Preston were still playing football at 9-45 on Wednesday night theve travel back to Preston recover and travel to Derby They also had to make do with both their centre halves who started at Norwich That's not to take away from our performance we deserved the points But will be surprised come May if we finish above Preston

Two games, Wednesday and Saturday. I still find it hard to comprehend that these professional sportsmen are incapable of Saturday, midwee, Saturday football matches.

Aged 14 I was playing rugby for the school Saturday morning, football for Bass in Burton and District league 1 Saturday afternoon, a 90 minute rowing session on the Trent Sunday morning and a Sunday afternoon League game for 26th FC on the Sunday afternoon. Swimming training at school Monday and Thursday after school and a swimming match every 2 to 3 weeks. 2 PE lessons a week, a single period in the gym and a double period out on the rugby fields. Occasional midweek rugby matches for school as well....... molly coddled is what they are.

Have to agree with you MA. These should be finely honed athletes and at the end of the day it's their job, what they are paid to do.

I've only seen highlights but am yet to be convinced that we look like a top ten side. At this stage we've only played one side that I can practically guarantee will be top ten and they destroyed us.

IMO the other four sides are likely to finish bottom half - Millwall are a difficult side to beat but I don't think they will match last season's performance. Preston are decent but I could feel of 10 sides I expect to be above them and Ipswich and Reading could be looking over their shoulders on a regular basis.

We've now got a run of 6-7 teams that we need to be taking points from. Brentford (i really rate) aside its as easy a run of games as we will get all season. We need to amass a decent return before we play the more fancied sides.

It might also give us a chance to gel and build confidence which we are going to need against the Boro's, Villas and Stoke's of this world.

At this point im not sensing us destroying anyone but sense we could get destroyed. This passing from the back is going to be our undoing against any side that carries a real attacking threat - Ipswich and Preston didn't.

Early days!!! How many times have folk said I wish we could have played them early season. Up to the first 10 games teams are all over the place, new faces, new systems, a few new managers and backroom staff, a little rusty in the legs, not to full fitness to name a few. After about 10 games we'll start to see if we're improving!

I think the fixtures have been generally quite kind to us in the first 10 or so games.

QPR, Rotherham, Ipswich, Blackburn, Bolton and Reading are teams we ought to be beating. If we don't end up with a decent haul of points from those games I'm fearful there could be some miserable runs to come.

I know what you mean MOP I just feel we've been handed an opportunity to get a good few points on the board.

One thing from above I'll agree with, Nugent and Bennett ran their socks off, and I saw some indication that they were starting to read each other a bit. I'm not talking Hector/O'Hare yet, or even Gee/Davidson, but you never know

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)