+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampden or Murrayfield ?

Hampden or Murrayfield ?

No to fussed either way as it could be a while before we visit there.Wonder what our record is of Hampden trips.?

It's improved in the last decade that's for sure

And Hampden of course, actually sick of the debate now and annoyed by the lack of respect for Scottish Football history and this anti Glasgow stuff about location

Do think they need to bring behind the goals closer in, whatever needs done do it at Hampden

It’s a poor atmosphere for National team. Why do they need the space for a running track?!?

They need to improve it. I blame Scotland’s poor home record post 98 partly on the loss of atmosphere there now. We need to make it more of a cauldron and get fans closer to the pitch

Scotland don't really have a poor Hampden record in competitive games post 1998 considering it's been a relatively weak era and the atmosphere is incredible for the big competitive games... (France and Italy during the euro 2008 qualifiers could never be matched by any other stadium in Scotland)

Germany 2003 (1-1) Netherlands 2003 (1-0) Italy 2005 (1-1) France 2006 (1-0) Ukraine 2007 (3-1) Italy 2007 (1-2) Netherlands 2009 (0-1) Spain 2010 (2-3) Czech Rep 2011 (2-2) Belgium 2013 (0-2) Croatia 2013 (2-0) Germany 2015 (2-3) Poland 2015 (2-2) England 2017 (2-2)

Overall record since 1998 at Hampden for competitive games played 44 won 23 draws 12 lost 9 goals 66 conceded 38

Of the 9 defeats, 6 narrow against big nations, England 1999 Italy 2007 Netherlands 2009 Spain 2010 Belgium 2013 Germany 2015

Really hoping you had all those stats and knowledge lodged in your head. Impressive!

Definitely Hampden for me. Egg chasers would never give it a rest if football moved into rugby's stadium

Fair shout that on the big matches the atmosphere is there. When I’ve been for the mid ranking nations though can be a bit off, the day out is great though.

Given we need to be winning most or all home matches to qualify only about a 50% return of wins is not giving us enough.

To qualify we need to win those matches against the big nations against the odds

I agree we definitely want to keep hampden just improve it.

What they have done at likes of old Trafford I think is lower the pitch and fit more seats nearer to the action

Hampden for me. Murrayfield is a rugby stadium. Why put football money into rugby? Minority sport.
    I've been at Hampden for semis, finals and Scotland games and depending who and how we are playing impacts the atmosphere. Happens in all stadiums. The cup win in 2010, great atmosphere. The two each draw with England had a great atmosphere.
    I don't buy the transport link stuff. It's tough to get fifty sixty thousand folk moving as quick as they all want.
    Murrayfield also has a running track.
    I'd knock down the east and west stands and build them as close to the pitch as possible. Same as suggested above, dig the pitch out and lower it like the Nou Camp. Improve the view.
    Hampden is famous for being the home of Scottish football. Murrayfield although bigger is a rugby stadium. Who'd get preference in the unlikely event of a fixture clash?
    I like the nostalgia associated with Hampden, I think we'd lose something to just bin it to move to a rugby stadium.

Has to be Hampden for me. There is no better place in Scottish football to celebrate winning a trophy, not unless the powers that be would consider a massive uprade of Dens Park, as that too is a wonderful place, it’s just the organisations’ a phukkin disgrace

Only is one choice. HAMPDEN FOR ME

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Fair shout that on the big matches the atmosphere is there. When I’ve been for the mid ranking nations though can be a bit off, the day out is great though.

Given we need to be winning most or all home matches to qualify only about a 50% return of wins is not giving us enough.

To qualify we need to win those matches against the big nations against the odds

I agree we definitely want to keep hampden just improve it.

What they have done at likes of old Trafford I think is lower the pitch and fit more seats nearer to the action

I hear you but it matches up well to most countries to be fair, our problem has been the patchy away record, twice we could have qualified and deservedly so in the last decade by winning in Georgia....

I must say I like the look of Alex McLeish's latest Scotland squad for the upcoming games, plenty to work with and players that can only improve

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)