+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampden or Murrayfield ?

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    The sheer fact that this countries national stadium is in a sh1thole hoosing scheme in f ucking glasgow is absolutely f ucking ridic!!!

Should be a national stadium in the Capital, i.e. murrayfield or a new venue in say Stirling. Why the f uck does that spunkhole glagow need 3 x 50k+ stadiums? it f ucking doesnt.

Only think is we will always be stuck with Hampden as the sfa will never vote to leave glasgow.
    I don't think you could call Cathcart, Kings Park, Battlefield or Mount Florida (the four surrounding areas) schemes, let alone ****holes. I don't think your Glasgow geography is very good.

Cathcart had a Tory MP for 15 years FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Its a disgrace its there in the first place! why should it be Glasgow? whats Glasgow got other places doesnt except more minks?

National stadium, not in the capital, in a built up house scheme with poor access routes into it, it's f ucking sh1te.
    AND - there are four or five stations within about half a mile of Hampden. Kings Park, Mount Florida, Queens Park and Crosshill. It's a mile from the M74, and also close to both the M77 and M8. It's on almost all the major bus routes through the southside of the city and is closer to Glasgow Central station on foot than Tannadice is to Dundee Station.

There are two international airports within 25 miles, and another 40 miles away. 1.8 million people live in the Greater Glasgow conurbation.

Stirling is a small town and Edinburgh is a rugby city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    I don't like playing Celtic and Rangers in a semi final or final at a neutral venue in their home City. I hate there being a Celtic end and a Rangers end. Also some seats are so far away from the action I feel quite detached. The atmosphere isn't great quite often.
    The area around the ground isn't good when you have to pay kids not to scratch your car.

Edinburgh for me.
    You're thinking of Parkhead.

New poster here.

I think we should get rid of the whole national stadium idea.
    A) Glasgow is too big for 3 50k+ stadiums
    southside Glasgow is crying out for housing and developing hampden into this would be a god-send for the area
    C) like it or not, Murrayfield on a rugby day has 10x the atmosphere hampden does (comparing both for sellout games) but an equally flat atmosphere for smaller matches

I propose a rotational system. Large matches played at Murrayfield, Celtic Park and Ibrox with smaller games at the likes of Pittodrie, Easter Road, Tynecastle and Tannadice. It would mean loyal fans don’t always have to travel miles for international matches, and would improve the atmosphere at the smaller games.
    When it comes to Scottish Cup it also removes the “home” bias of the old firm playing in Glasgow.
    Any money made from selling off hampden could be pumped straight back into youth football or improving facilities at the likes of tannadice and tynecastle to support an international game day.
    Just a thought

I’d also add that the best Scotland game atmosphere I’ve ever been to was at etic Park for the Scotland Ireland match recently.
    Last edited by Araberto; 28-08-2018 at 04:55 PM.

The Scotland Ireland game was good but would have been excellent at Hampden as well, certainly didn't match the euro 2008 games v France or Italy and when if comes to cup finals Hampden is by far the best for occasion and atmosphere, Celtic Park didn't even feel like a final, it was dreadful

As for Murrayfield being better atmosphere, I doubt it is for comparable occasions, no chance

Agree with conan about the transport, absolute myth, I walked back to the centre of city from Hampden in 2010 basking in our cup win, took half an hour to wander

Hampden isn't greatand the track is an issue but I think people go overboard with the criticism. I've been in some cracking atmospheres there. I do think for smaller games it should be at the castle,Celtic park etc as they are right on top of the pitch and a great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    The Scotland Ireland game was good but would have been excellent at Hampden as well, certainly didn't match the euro 2008 games v France or Italy and when if comes to cup finals Hampden is by far the best for occasion and atmosphere, Celtic Park didn't even feel like a final, it was dreadful

As for Murrayfield being better atmosphere, I doubt it is for comparable occasions, no chance

Agree with conan about the transport, absolute myth, I walked back to the centre of city from Hampden in 2010 basking in our cup win, took half an hour to wander
    Up until we started playing terribly that day, the atmosphere at park head was better than hampden 2010 in my opinion. And foreign teams consistently praise it as an unbelievable atmosphere for champions league matches. That could easily be transferred for big national matches.

I also went to Murrayfield for a couple of the recent hearts games with a friend who is a fan and mustvsay even they were brilliant football atmospheres.

Losing Hampden would have no negative impact in my opinion apart from losing a “historical Home” but at the end of the day, after 1 year of not having that Home, who would really care. Look at Arsenal, juventus etc. Gave up “history” for a better match day experience which, in my opinion, is more important

Look you wouldnt take the open from St. Andrews the home of golf and put it a caird park would you. Why do people always want to change things that don't need fixed. HAMPDEN ALL THE WAY.

Why not move the national games to the new football academy Stadium they are building at caird park or play the games around the country just a suggestion if Hampden was no longer a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Araberto View Post
    Up until we started playing terribly that day, the atmosphere at park head was better than hampden 2010 in my opinion. And foreign teams consistently praise it as an unbelievable atmosphere for champions league matches. That could easily be transferred for big national matches.

I also went to Murrayfield for a couple of the recent hearts games with a friend who is a fan and mustvsay even they were brilliant football atmospheres.

Losing Hampden would have no negative impact in my opinion apart from losing a “historical Home” but at the end of the day, after 1 year of not having that Home, who would really care. Look at Arsenal, juventus etc. Gave up “history” for a better match day experience which, in my opinion, is more important
    Wit? 'match day experience' is more important than history. Are you for real?!? Let's just move from Tannadice and call it the Pizza Hut Stadium. Personally I thought the atmosphere at the Parkhead cup final was dreadful, practically non existent. As for Murrayfield I've had the unfortunate experience of attending a couple of rugger matches there and it was garbage, though the food was OK so you would probably think that was more important than the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pissedoffshed View Post
    Look you wouldnt take the open from St. Andrews the home of golf and put it a caird park would you. Why do people always want to change things that don't need fixed. HAMPDEN ALL THE WAY.

Why not move the national games to the new football academy Stadium they are building at caird park or play the games around the country just a suggestion if Hampden was no longer a choice.
    The open gets taken away From St. Andrews the home of golf 75% of the time

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)