+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Fake News

More Fake News

Two newspapers this morning, the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian, and possibly others, carry a headline claiming that Theresa May said that 'leaving the EU without a deal would not be the end of the world'.

No she didn't, it was the Director General of the WTO who said it, May was simply pointing out what he had said.

Why do they lie ?

Apparently she said this to reporters on a flight to Africa.

The good old BBC reported "Talking to journalists on board RAF Voyager on Tuesday morning, Mrs May reiterated that she believed a no-deal Brexit was still better than a bad deal - adding no-deal "wouldn't be the end of the world"."

I wouldn't expect her to say anything else?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45325701

It seems to be reported almost universally..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=no...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by 1959_60; 28-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Two newspapers this morning, the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian, and possibly others, carry a headline claiming that Theresa May said that 'leaving the EU without a deal would not be the end of the world'.

No she didn't, it was the Director General of the WTO who said it, May was simply pointing out what he had said.

Why do they lie ?
    It is in their DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post

Why do they lie ?
    But if she said what WTO DG said then she said it too. If she didn’t believe that she wouldn’t have quoted him. So why is it a lie You have both right and left papers saying the same thing too. So she said it too in my book (or paper).

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Apparently she said this to reporters on a flight to Africa.

The good old BBC reported "Talking to journalists on board RAF Voyager on Tuesday morning, Mrs May reiterated that she believed a no-deal Brexit was still better than a bad deal - adding no-deal "wouldn't be the end of the world"."

I wouldn't expect her to say anything else?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45325701

It seems to be reported almost universally..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=no...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Thanks for the BBC link 59/60, no surprise they're purveyors of Fake News as well. At least both the Telegraph and the Guardian journos, despite the misleading headlines, made it clear that it was the Director General of the WTO saying that no deal would not be the end of the world, but not the good old EU funded BBC bless 'em. They're quite happy to airbrush the WTO out of this and pretend it was Theresa May saying it. Why do I suspect if the WTO had said no deal was going to be a disaster, the BBC might have been very keen to point out just exactly who had said it ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    But if she said what WTO DG said then she said it too. If she didn’t believe that she wouldn’t have quoted him. So why is it a lie You have both right and left papers saying the same thing too. So she said it too in my book (or paper).
    They could have stated the truth in their headlines OC, the facts, but they chose to mislead, to obscure the fact that it was the DG of the WTO who had said no deal would not be the end of the world. Why Remain supporting journalists would do that and prefer Fake News to the truth I can only surmise.

But the editor writes the headline and they have to be short. May is headline news here the DG of WTO isn’t.
    I don’t get your point. If BT says something and you agree with it does that mean you can’t claim to have said it or have to precede it by as BT said first??

Leave me out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    But the editor writes the headline and they have to be short. May is headline news here the DG of WTO isn’t.
    I don’t get your point. If BT says something and you agree with it does that mean you can’t claim to have said it or have to precede it by as BT said first??

It's quite simple really OC, it doesn't matter who writes the headline, if the DG of the WTO says no deal is not the end of the world, then the headline should say it was the DG of the WTO that said it. But the headlines said it was Theresa May when it wasn't, that's precisely what Fake News is.....Lies.

is the Pantomime season still running?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)