+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He's not going to do it is he?

He's not going to do it is he?

Fascinating few days at Notts and likely to continue for a while yet methinks.

One thing for sure is no Chairman in the history of Notts is as well informed about the thoughts of the fans before appointing a new manaager. I've been across the platforms for days and I would be astonished if Mr Hardy isn't aware that the consensus is a big no towards Harry Kewell.

The fans "favourite" was Bowyer but unfortunately he isn't interested. Equally, I'm not sure Hardy was really interested, Kewell's name was there from the start so perfectly believable that he was the first choice. Personally I am completely baffled if this appointment happens, but I don't have all the info Hardy does.

One thing for sure, given the way Hardy runs the club he has now created a huge potential problem. Kewell will get support, but we all know that Notts fans love a "I told you so". It won't take long if things don't go right before Meadow Lane is toxic again. This season could be more or less over by the end of October if the form doesn't turn quickly and there's a long dark winter coming.

Thing is, I'm not sure how Mr Hardy will cope if he doesn't have an adoring crowd, evidence so far is not well.

Let's hope Mr Kewell is capable. Hmmmm!
    Last edited by pielover; 29-08-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Harry Kewell seems to be the new Adam Collin. People appear to have strong feelings against him, and I’ve no idea why. Maybe they’re just not very bright.

I do think Kewell would be starting on the backfoot and as you said, our fans always love an I told you so, same thing happened when Curle was here when a lot of our fans never liked him from the start due to his Mansfield history and they were always waiting for him to slip up.

Kewell will need to hit the ground running to get the fans on board and hopefully people move on from their apparent dislike of him. Personally I'm not sure why it's seen as a bad move, it's more of a sideways step than a positive or negative one but maybe he left a lasting impression on Hardy when he came to watch us play earlier in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post
    Fascinating few days at Notts and likely to continue for a while yet methinks.

One thing for sure is no Chairman in the history of Notts is as well informed about the thoughts of the fans before appointing a new manaager. I've been across the platforms for days and I would be astonished if Mr Hardy isn't aware that the consensus is a big no towards Harry Kewell.

The fans "favourite" was Bowyer but unfortunately he isn't interested. Equally, I'm not sure Hardy was really interested, Kewell's name was there from the start so perfectly believable that he was the first choice. Personally I am completely baffled if this appointment happens, but I don't have all the info Hardy does.

One thing for sure, given the way Hardy runs the club he has now created a huge potential problem. Kewell will get support, but we all know that Notts fans love a "I told you so". It won't take long if things don't go right before Meadow Lane is toxic again. This season could be more or less over by the end of October if the form doesn't turn quickly and there's a long dark winter coming.

Thing is, I'm not sure how Mr Hardy will cope if he doesn't have an adoring crowd, evidence so far is not well.

Let's hope Mr Kewell is capable. Hmmmm!
    According to the Crawley forum Kewell was at our Friday night game against Yeovil and what with Chettle being brought in it seems like this has been planned.

I personally wouldn't give it to Kewell just because I don't think ***y football gets League 2 promotion, but I wouldn't have given it to Nolan either and he surprised me.

Kewell has a decent record on limited resources and deserves the fans' support if he gets the job.

I personally don't think it is going to be Kewell. Crawley's Twitter account is joking around, if he does go, that's not going to go down well with their fans! Also the £400,000 price tag, I think we'd go for a free agent and give that money to the new manager to strengthen the defence

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I personally don't think it is going to be Kewell. Crawley's Twitter account is joking around, if he does go, that's not going to go down well with their fans! Also the £400,000 price tag, I think we'd go for a free agent and give that money to the new manager to strengthen the defence
    This: Kewell will, of course get our support, but no-one I've spoken too seems that keen. Surely the ex-champ manager won't cost anymore than the 400,000 sovs + Kewell's wages?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Harry Kewell seems to be the new Adam Collin. People appear to have strong feelings against him, and I’ve no idea why. Maybe they’re just not very bright.
    I find it odd too. I can understand some of the objections as I have reservations myself, but some of the other suggestions don't seem much better. I also find it strange that the very people who are all for getting behind the club however bad things get are the ones throwing their toys out the pram.

Kewell has just as much experience as Nolan did when he was appointed.

Really not sure what the big issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_OTF View Post

Nolan had 15 games as (player) manager.

Kewell has had 57 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_OTF View Post

Last season Crawley deserved at least a point against Notts on their pitch. At Meadow Lane they really surprised me with how they combined the physical stuff, (important in this division !!! ), with the passing game - in other words they had been able to produce a successful team that also played a fair bit of football.

I would be happy with the appointment of Kewell. He had a much smaller budget than Nolan, got the best out of Enzio Boldewijn and showed the ability to adapt his tactics as needs dictated, something that Nolan couldn't do.

As to the other options: Flynn, another Nolan clone but not as good. Cotterill highly unlikely at best. McArthy and Holloway, highly unlikely. They are football dinosaurs IMO and we couldn't pay a fraction of their wage demands. Grayson - maybe but wages again. So Neal Ardley is probably the pick of the rest...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast