+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Applause on 31 mins...

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    Reading on F-Book about plans for applause at 31 min mark on Sat, for some young lad, 31, who died of the horrible Big C. Anyone off here, or some one known by our posters?

Whoever you are mate,RIP
    http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38227164

As above. This lad has gone through hell. I hope some posters on here aren't thinking of joining the Samaritans ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by roweyp View Post
    If it brings an ounce of comfort or happiness to his family or friends then what's the harm?
    Totally agree Roweyp.... for a person who has lived through 2 family members with cancer then I do not see the harm, those who want to join in... join in

A minute's applause before kick-off with the announcer explaining just who it's for and why would make much more sense than the artificiality of a sudden round of applause at 31 minutes (see Elite's post).

Ultimately it comes down to individual choice. I will happily give my applause on Saturday as like many others have seen family members and friends suffer and pass over the last year or so. I see no harm in it. However, I do think a remembrance fixture once a year would also be a very nice gesture and can also become a vehicle for awareness and also fund raising.

You can’t just prefix a sentence with ‘Without meaning any disrespect’ and then post something clearly disrespectful.

People die every day, I’m sure many Notts fans die over a year, my Grandpa died at 80 and supported Notts all his life, I didn’t try and organise a minutes applause for him because as sad as it was we all know everybody dies at some point.

However this was a popular lad around Meadow Lane who died at 31 years old of a horrendous disease and leaves behind a fiancé and a 2 year old daughter. A genuinely nice bloke too who wouldn’t moan about having to put his hands together for 60 seconds at a football match.

I really hope not but I imagine you're talking to Ben ? I worked with the guy earlier this year, such a nice & genuine person. My thoughts are with his family. it's typical that i would find out about this on a Notts County forum with people finding another reason to complain about something...

Quote Originally Posted by piratescotty View Post
    You can’t just prefix a sentence with ‘Without meaning any disrespect’ and then post something clearly disrespectful.

People die every day, I’m sure many Notts fans die over a year, my Grandpa died at 80 and supported Notts all his life, I didn’t try and organise a minutes applause for him because as sad as it was we all know everybody dies at some point.

However this was a popular lad around Meadow Lane who died at 31 years old of a horrendous disease and leaves behind a fiancé and a 2 year old daughter. A genuinely nice bloke too who wouldn’t moan about having to put his hands together for 60 seconds at a football match.
    I don't think anyone is saying don't pay respects to anyone but just trying to suggest a more poignant way of doing it. There are loads of times people just start clapping and people are asking what it's about, surely a better way would be to have an announced thing before a match?

Also, from a more logistical, how is this going to be conducted? The scoreboard is broken so nobody will really know, if the game is really engrossing (we can hope!) People are going to miss it. Again, maybe a better way would be to coordinate with the club and do something pre-match?

Quote Originally Posted by piratescotty View Post

The lad has my respect mate and I shall be joining in the applause . I can't believe some on here . Just don't post , just don't .

I'm gutted i can't be there on Saturday, I'm playing a festival in Nottingham in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support so i'll make sure he gets a mention during my bands set. Honestly he was such a nice guy... he will be sorely missed by both family & friends.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast