+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Clubs

He's our pet Makem. 😎

Someone correct me if Iīm wrong but the word 'plastic' in football refers to fans not clubs, specifically meaning a fan who has decided to support a team only because itīs successful (e.g. many of Manchester Unitedīs, previously huge, now dwindling, London dwelling support!).

Anyone calling Newcastle fans 'plastic' needs their head examining.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Someone correct me if Iīm wrong but the word 'plastic' in football refers to fans not clubs, specifically meaning a fan who has decided to support a team only because itīs successful (e.g. many of Manchester Unitedīs, previously huge, now dwindling, London dwelling support!).

I thought it describes a supporter who only supports their team when they are doing well, but desert them, when for example, they get relegated.

As you say TT, not a description that can be given to us.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post

Only one person on here calls Newcastle fans plastics

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleymag View Post
    I thought it describes a supporter who only supports their team when they are doing well, but desert them, when for example, they get relegated.

Aye Stanley - a 'fair weather' supporter. Toon fans would be better described as masochists!

Clubs who have no history? So Man City do not have a history before some moneyman bought them?

Why is success only merited if you have a "history"? I don't get this point.

I don't particularly like Chelsea, but they have a history, just as we have a history.

Quote Originally Posted by andyj73 View Post
    .. Calling for Ashley to be gotten rid of and wanting an owner who will splash the cast. At the same time calling clubs who have owners who are splashing it plastic .. Fella, you're an embarrassment ..
    Nice try.

Theres a balance to the spending levels. Plastic success is City and Chelsea levels. Nooone in black and white is calling for City levels of spending, matching Wolves, Brighton, Watford or Huddersfield would do.

Theres a difference.

BTW 10 years today since Mansour rocked up. Bag of shiit up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleymag View Post

funny how we went from 18 k to sell out in a few weeks

let's put this into real perspective and fairness.

Any club that operates outside of their own in house revenue is a plastic club if we need to argue this.

Blackburn started it with Walker.
    It spiralled from there.

Us under Hall and co were not plastic, because although we operated outside of our comfort zone we incurred debt to do it and that debt stayed, meaning we were and are still in house manageable.

Any club that cannot sustain itself but does well, is plastic.
    Any fan that goes from one club to another, is plastic.

Any person that doesn't have a football club to be a fan of but chooses a club that wins titles/silverware has simply been swayed by popularity of that club as much as the success of it...but is still no less a fan.

Any action man doll who is a football fan, is a plastic.
    Any Cindy or Barbie doll who likes football can also be known as a plastic.

Plastic can be fantastic and stretch like elastic when heated up.

I'm a cast iron Newcastle United fan in the premier or non league, with Ashley or without. With rafa or without.

Nibble nobble niblets.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    funny how we went from 18 k to sell out in a few weeks
    Sorry. You've lost me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)