+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 136 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2083

Thread: January transfers

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    As others have mentioned earlier, how many points did he gain us in other matches
    I bet you were a fan of Clangers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    That's not hindsight.
    Bleating about it is.

Quote Originally Posted by redscot View Post
    The point is we were paying for a player that couldnt play in our biggest games but i am sure you knew that.
    I was aware that was part of the deal.
    I can also understand why

Regarding loans - they've worked for us reasonably well in recent years. I think loans within the same league should just be banned altogether. The Christie loan did work well enough for us in that he made a valuable contribution while he was here in all the games he could play. It worked against us though in that he couldn't play against Celtic, our main rivals, and it meant reshuffling the team in games against them - so there was a double impact. Also he returned to them a better player, so they reaped the longer term benefit.

We shouldn't be loaning players from Celtic, or anyone else in our own league. We should be signing guys like Morgan and Christie before they join Celtic. These are the kind of guys we need to attract and develop if we're going to ever be able to mount a serious challenge. Surely we can make a better pitch to them than Celtic or Rangers can - you could give 100s of examples of promising players who have gone to those clubs and wasted their careers by never getting a game. Shouldn't be too hard a sell to someone like Morgan when he leaves St Mirren to say - come to us, you'll play every week, be a valuable member of the team, be paid more than you currently are, and in 2-3 years time you'll get a move down south for big money once you've gained valuable experience.

Was he on loan to us from another SPL / SPFL team, didn't realise that

There are always players in our first team that we think we can improve on.
    Clangers certainly had his moments, but was also a decent player for the club.
    I'm glad that we looked to improve that area, but can also understand why it was not a priority in his earlier years with the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Let Morgan rot on Celtic’s bench. That’s exactly what he signed up for
    Its not often I agree with you but on this I do 100%.

If every other Scottish club stopped taking all the young players on loan that the cheeks signed but never play, then maybe these young players might think twice about signing for either of the cheeks and instead learn their game at teams that will give them a decent chance.

Although I dont mind loans from teams outside Scotland. As much.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    We should be signing guys like Morgan and Christie before they join Celtic.
    I fully agree, but this remains a challenge.
    If an ICT or St Mirren player thinks they can get better recompense from Celtic than Aberdeen then that is a huge sawyer towards them.

Should we be taking the cheeks youth rejects before they turn out for the likes of St Mirren or Livi?

He was a good shot stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I fully agree, but this remains a challenge.
    If an ICT or St Mirren player thinks they can get better recompense from Celtic than Aberdeen then that is a huge sawyer towards them.

Should we be taking the cheeks youth rejects before they turn out for the likes of St Mirren or Livi?
    ffs

Unfortunately it is hard, Christie first contract was reported at 9K a week. Far outwith our means which makes the "almost / so close to have signed him"18 months later nonsense. He was also a 500k fee from ICT if I remember rightly. We need to take the plunge very early, like Ferguson, if we get a 50% success rate we're quids in. Poke the loans.

Page 136 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast