+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 163 of 209 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 2083

Thread: January transfers

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    If you'd like a history lesson then sit tight and I'll tell you story...

In the early 1990s we were a team that competed for every honour in the domestic season and that was the least the support demanded from a club that wasn't just brilliant under Fergie but for about a further eight years after his departure.

But then along came a joiner from Alford that thought because he'd made a bit of money building houses during the halyconic days of the Oil Boom, he could transfer his business acumen to football. He couldn't, he got the club in a lot of debt, which in turn, lowered the expectations of the club as we watched fifth rate players wear the red jersey.

Then a nice chap and his wife came along and bailed the joiner out. Thus the 12 million leadweight that held the club back was vanished in an instant.

Now we want the f@cking league and cups back in our trophy room and send warning shots to Glasgow on a consistent basis and maybe then you'll understand why winning things is important...
    But I thought finances didn’t come into it?

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    But I thought finances didn’t come into it?
    Didn't come into what?

Jonny Hayes to Aberdeen...I wouldn’t mind that as long as it wasn’t another loan. A decent player on his day and we have missed his pace.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Didn't come into what?
    Every time someone suggests Celtic win the league because they have a bigger budget than everyone else plenty of people on here say that them having a bigger budget shouldn’t stop us from winning the league.Yet you are trying to say that there was no expectation from us to win the league when we were £12 million in debt.

You maybe haven’t noticed but we aren’t exactly spending any more than we did when we were in debt,I guess we paid £400k for May last season but we paid £400k for Stavrum and £400k for Zero in 2000,we also spent £700k for Winters in 98,all of this was done when we were in debt so your theory that we didn’t expect to win the league because we were in debt doesn’t work.

Should we stop asking fans to buy season tickets if we genuinely don’t even try to win the league? A lot of money for supporters to give to a multi millionaire chairman to make his time on the board a bit more luxurious.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Every time someone suggests Celtic win the league because they have a bigger budget than everyone else plenty of people on here say that them having a bigger budget shouldn’t stop us from winning the league.Yet you are trying to say that there was no expectation from us to win the league when we were £12 million in debt.

You maybe haven’t noticed but we aren’t exactly spending any more than we did when we were in debt,I guess we paid £400k for May last season but we paid £400k for Stavrum and £400k for Zero in 2000,we also spent £700k for Winters in 98,all of this was done when we were in debt so your theory that we didn’t expect to win the league because we were in debt doesn’t work.
    Well apart from one season where we finished 3rd, these players that the club spent money on 20 years ago weren't taking us into a position to challenge. And what were other clubs in the league spending in comparison at the time?

For the last four (should have been 5)years on the spin we've finished 2nd but the fans don't see the board trying to go that one step further. So maybe you're right, we should be spending a little more than we did 20 years ago.

However, it isn't all about having a huge budget but you need to be clever how you spend. A well run club can be just as effective as one that spends big but the Milne years have been shambolic

And all this years of pain have left us with fans like you, happy to watch Glasgow share the trophy spoils. But it's not fans with your outlook that will attract the next generation of supporters to AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    So you think that I think people are not entitled to their opinions, that's not what I said.

The problem with your opinion is that it's always what the hierarchy at Pittodrie think.

Sometimes would be fine, I wouldn't have a problem with mostly, but always?
    Then you should have gone to specsavers, as there are times when I’ve criticised.
    Because I accept reality, you shouldn’t get so bothered about my opinion.

That's supposed to make sense is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Me personally, i believe with a little bit more belief and ambition from the manager and chairman it was realistic last season. They dropped points in 8 games at home. Thats a remarkable stat for them that wont be seen again for a long time. Only 9 points clear in the end. The unforgivable December debacle from the manager plus rolling over for a belly tickle in three games v them cost us. The big games cost us. The negative mentality cost us. My opinion. Nae doubt someone will get on their high horse and say im unrealistic. Ill probablly get fed the old line of the pigs had more gears. 8 games not won at home make me think otherwise. Last season was a giant kick in the balls. It was to me anyway

I mentioned disillusionment earlier. Last season was the start of it. I dont think the people we needed to believe we could do it did. Untill we have people there that do we are goosed.

If those mutants get ten in a row. Its not because they steamrolled their way there. They were allowed to win them and we will be complicit

Signing their players makes me think the people who lack ambition and balls are also suffering from a serious inferior complex if they want to borrow players from them or sign their cast offs
    It’s all very well considering “what if’s”, but of course if we acted differently, it’s entirely plausible they would have spent more than they did in order to secure the same result.
    Difference being we would have risked more in terms of stability

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    That's supposed to make sense is it?
    It does.

Page 163 of 209 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173 ... LastLast