+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 93 of 209 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Yup, it wouldn't seem to make much sense. He obviously saw something in Stewart previously to take him up on loan, and the guy is obviously talented, but the fact it didn't work out first time round, makes you wonder why McInnes would try it again, especially if it was going to cost money.

Having said that, McInnes may feel there were particular reasons why it didn't work the first time, and he may feel that the fee is worth the risk, given that it's unlikely we'd find a similar quality player, proven at SPL level, for the same amount.
    I would be astounded if McInnes paid money signing Greg Stewart after how he had him playing previously with us.
    Neck on the block time as predictions go...No signing of Greg Stewart, Scott McKenna stays during this window, Nobody comes in with hard cash for Cosgrove or Considine and Shinnie and GMS don’t sign new contracts with us.

Yup, it wouldn't seem to make much sense. He obviously saw something in Stewart previously to take him up on loan, and the guy is obviously talented, but the fact it didn't work out first time round, makes you wonder why McInnes would try it again, especially if it was going to cost money.

Having said that, McInnes may feel there were particular reasons why it didn't work the first time, and he may feel that the fee is worth the risk, given that it's unlikely we'd find a similar quality player, proven at SPL level, for the same amount.
    The reason that it didn't work last time, in my opinion, is that we had Christie and Mclean who were more adept in that number 10 role, that I think suits Stewart, so he was punted out wide right. The last game of the last season v sellic, where Christie couldn't play, from memory, Stewart lined up there and was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    The reason that it didn't work last time, in my opinion, is that we had Christie and Mclean who were more adept in that number 10 role, that I think suits Stewart, so he was punted out wide right. The last game of the last season v sellic, where Christie couldn't play, from memory, Stewart lined up there and was excellent.
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    According the the article the story goes with, we have a 20% sell on clause.
    The EE today saying a 20% was put in

Agree, the only position he can really play is just in behind a main striker. We seem to have moved away from that formation though, playing with May and Cosgrove as a front two, albeit with May dropping deeper. For what it's worth I'd prefer Stewart in that position than May. If Wilson comes on to a game in the second half of the season he would be a better option than May, and probably better than Stewart as well as he has similar attributes but with more pace. Big question mark though over whether he'll 1) stay fit, and 2) hit consistent form.

Agree, the only position he can really play is just in behind a main striker. We seem to have moved away from that formation though, playing with May and Cosgrove as a front two, albeit with May dropping deeper. For what it's worth I'd prefer Stewart in that position than May. If Wilson comes on to a game in the second half of the season he would be a better option than May, and probably better than Stewart as well as he has similar attributes but with more pace. Big question mark though over whether he'll 1) stay fit, and 2) hit consistent form.
    I think May playing that 2nd striker role was only temporary, to get us to January when a "real" number 10 can be brought in. I don't see us going 4-4-2 long term. 4-2-3-1 would still be DM's preferred formation, which would suit Stewart

I don't think May was ever looked at being the long terms solution. For all his hard work that he does, he still lacks the vision to pick a pass, or a goal threat. Stewart does both.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I would be astounded if McInnes paid money signing Greg Stewart after how he had him playing previously with us.
    Neck on the block time as predictions go...No signing of Greg Stewart, Scott McKenna stays during this window, Nobody comes in with hard cash for Cosgrove or Considine and Shinnie and GMS don’t sign new contracts with us.
    I would be astounded if DM paid money for anybody,however I would be very happy if he did pay cash for Greg Stewart as long as we give him the assurance that we will play him in his best position, not like what we did the last time round.

Live in hope pal, Stewart if it happens, on all accounts cash and playing him in the right position, would be a great signing for us.

SF

Stewart and Lowe back would be a great window and maybes beat the pack for Halkett. A bonus ball of established winger loan would be the icing leaving the Daily Record to sensationalise the Weegie battle for second place.
    Last edited by vinnydesalvo; 14-01-2019 at 03:46 PM.

I think May playing that 2nd striker role was only temporary, to get us to January when a "real" number 10 can be brought in. I don't see us going 4-4-2 long term. 4-2-3-1 would still be DM's preferred formation, which would suit Stewart

I don't think May was ever looked at being the long terms solution. For all his hard work that he does, he still lacks the vision to pick a pass, or a goal threat. Stewart does both.
    You may be right there - although it's strange how we've had an upturn in form since we started going a more 442 style formation. I agree regarding May - he's had quite a lot of game time in the last couple months and although he does look a bit sharper, he still doesn't look like scoring and isn't all that creative. Bizzarely he's turned into a defensive forward if there is such a thing. His best work is basically putting pressure on opposition defenders.

The question you'd also need to ask is... if Stewart comes in (or someone similar) who has an eye for a through ball... does Cosgrove have the intelligence to make the runs to benefit from it. May would actually be a more intelligent striker in terms of his runs, but I think he's the one who would be dropped. Wilson is the enigma though - if he hits form he's the best we've got and up there with the best in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnydesalvo View Post
    Stewart and Lowe back would be a great window and maybes beat the pack for Halkett. A bonus ball of established winger loan would be the icing leaving the Daily Record to sensationalise the Weegie battle for second place.
    Both Derby's "first choice" left backs are out for the season leaving them with Lowe and one other who played throughout December and was shockingly bad. Sadly Lowe has looked out of his depth so far in the 2 games he has played so it may be that Lampard might be tempted to buy another one this month. If they do then we should fire in a bid of £300k immediately to buy him outright. But I cannot see this scenario panning out.

Halkett I doubt would come here to play back up to Devlin (although on the evidence so far it does look like Devlin will miss 10-15 games every season for injuries/suspension). Even if McKenna was to be sold, I think at least initially DM would go with Consi being his direct replacement as Consi is also left footed. But I wouldn't be against bidding £100k to at least test the waters

Page 93 of 209 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast