+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    True, money is not a guarantee of success but I seem to remember that Leicester did win some games with the lowest ever possession statistics (18% in one game against Chelsea) so they must have done quite a bit of defending.
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Leicester City were one of the one out of ten as I did say nine teams out of ten finish where their budget dictates they will be and it was an extraordinary event to say the least but deserved none the less .

If you want to rewrite modern football history then fair enough , you have a 10% chance of defying the odds over 46 games .

The game itself writes the history not me by the way .

You aren't looking to win every game you are trying to earn enough points to stay up , your Rotherham not Aston Villa , your target is different from the majority of other clubs in the championship .
    Both of you seem to have missed the point of the post I made. I said the year before they won the Premiership they finished 14th and the season before that they were in the Championship. In other words, according to what you say they should not have finished anywhere near 14th with a team that cost (£26.2M) after coming up from the Championship!

In the 2013/2014 season in the Championship the players and all staff cost (£26.8m) and went up to the Premiership as the Championship winners.

It seems to me that Leicester City must have been a really good defensive team to defended their way up the league by winning 31 games in the league, scoring 83 goals and getting 102 points. Hmmmmmmm so Leicester City turn that 1 in 10 chance on its head dont ya think? And do you know how they did all that? They REFUSED to be bullied by the bigger and richer clubs. And they are not alone in that either. Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley and many more in the past prove your thinking is wrong. All those teams I have mentioned try to give as good as they get and dont just sit back and try to stay in games in the hope they can nick a goal at some point.

Were in the CHAMPIONSHIP and we should play like we deserve to be in the CHAMPIONSIP! Because we ****ing DO DESERVE to be there. We earned that right on merit by winning football games.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 03-09-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    Do you know millertop, you are talking absolute b******'s.
    We at the moment, and with our financial resources are playing at the very top of our financial tree, and the Wigans and Blackburn, who came up with us, will get a better class of player for just about every position, but that doesn't mean that we will be relegated and they will survive, it means that we have to find a way to play that makes us hard to beat, and can get us points on the board, if that means playing one up front then so be it.
    Are you saying that in every game, we should play 2 up front, and look to win the match? Because if you are saying that and we set out to do that, then it's my opinion that we will be relegated,or as good as, by Christmas.
    Wow just wow.

Do you think we shouldn’t have got anything from Wigan?

Btw I’ve said a few times that we will finish eighth.
    I have never said once that we should play two up front in every game.
    I did say we should have attacked Hull from the start and we definitely should have got three points.
    I’m saying Vassell should have started instead of Taylor at Wigan (no I did not say two up front)
    I’m saying. We didn’t put the best team out at Wigan, if we had then we would have got something imo

Bigger players on paper maybe but does that mean better players?
    Last edited by millertop; 03-09-2018 at 07:05 AM.

We've been doing it for years. Moore rarely got the ball under control. I suppose it stops our defence being under pressure for 30 seconds

You're wasting your time BigLad. For reasons only he knows, Ainmal feels the need to constantly tell Millers supporters that RUFC should know their place within the footballing hierarchy. Why he thinks we need regular reminders of championship finances im not sure. He still communicates to us as though we're embarking on our first ever second tier "adventure". Hazza put it brilliantly once when he said that Animal wants to put us in a little box where we belong.

Animal, WE GET IT. CLUBS HAVE MORE MONEY THAN US!

BigLad, Im with you with regards how we should approach matches. Taking the Hull match as an example, for 70 mins because of our scardey cat tactics Hull looked class. Their defenders, under no pressure, looked calm and composed. We looked out of our depth. We then decided to attack in the last 20 mins and those very same defenders were flapping like epileptic pigeons, slicing balls out for throwings etc, etc. Another 10 mins, we'd have won that game.

Lets at least go down with the guns blazing!

Up the friggin Millers!!!

Our major problem is we're acting as if we've arrived in the Championship from the planet Zog rather than League 1. The fact that we were here only two years ago would suggest we’ve totally erased those memories rather than benefitting from the experience.

I don’t wholly subscribe to the assumption that we’re penniless, there seems to be another agenda at work here besides that of frugality. But setting aside conspiracy theories; our inability to comprehend valuations and wage structures in the Championship and our dearth of quality, why do we always perceive ourselves to be unworthy? Why is our mentality not commensurate with our status?

If we’re going down, as many accept and even more expect, let’s at least do so with a roar rather than a whimper, though any talk of relegation at this stage of the season is itself defeatist. Fear and trepidation have no place in our club but it’s this that created the Hull and Wigan performances and over-emphasised our inadequacies. These games showed us to be nothing more than a bunch of sub-standard players, playing a boring, inadequate system in a vain attempt to collect the necessary 40+ points to be able to repeat the process in 12 months time. A prime example of futility. Little wonder that every other club is disappointed if they don't pick up the 3 points charitable Rotherham United has on offer

We need to shift the emphasis, employ some positive psychology, project ourselves, show some arrogance and aggression. We don't need to be suicidal, we know our limitations but forget Nice Guys United, we’re here to win football matches. To hell with this one point is an achievement, three a miracle attitude, three should be our aim from the outset.

Interesting stuff. Think playing 4 4 2 and going gung ho particular ly away from home would be very risky. Yet playing 4 51 and playing deep is also risky and eventually the system will crack as it did in saturday. The defence will give if it's under constant bombardment. However, I think 4 5 1 can work with the correct tactics. Defending higher up the pitch can help. Warne must stop using players like taylor who have no impact on the game. It's like playing with 10men when he plays. He must start with vasell on the left side of midfield for a start. It's a pity we have no one powerful on the right side. Having towell might make a difference because he has an eye for goal and I would be planning to push him up as much as possible from the midfield 5. The other thing is we must take our chances when we get them we won't get many at this level. Can it be coached into average players though I don't know. When I see em shooting in before kick off it doesn't inspire me. The other thing is that we have played 3 top half tables so far. Our system might work better against lower half teams. It will be our results against the weaker teams than keep us up or send us down this season. The results against Ipswich and Millwood wer e encouraging while admittedly the hull game was a balls up.

Quote Originally Posted by leedsmiller View Post
    Our major problem is we're acting as if we've arrived in the Championship from the planet Zog rather than League 1. The fact that we were here only two years ago would suggest we’ve totally erased those memories rather than benefitting from the experience.

I don’t wholly subscribe to the assumption that we’re penniless, there seems to be another agenda at work here besides that of frugality. But setting aside conspiracy theories; our inability to comprehend valuations and wage structures in the Championship and our dearth of quality, why do we always perceive ourselves to be unworthy? Why is our mentality not commensurate with our status?

If we’re going down, as many accept and even more expect, let’s at least do so with a roar rather than a whimper, though any talk of relegation at this stage of the season is itself defeatist. Fear and trepidation have no place in our club but it’s this that created the Hull and Wigan performances and over-emphasised our inadequacies. These games showed us to be nothing more than a bunch of sub-standard players, playing a boring, inadequate system in a vain attempt to collect the necessary 40+ points to be able to repeat the process in 12 months time. A prime example of futility. Little wonder that every other club is disappointed if they don't pick up the 3 points charitable Rotherham United has on offer

We need to shift the emphasis, employ some positive psychology, project ourselves, show some arrogance and aggression. We don't need to be suicidal, we know our limitations but forget Nice Guys United, we’re here to win football matches. To hell with this one point is an achievement, three a miracle attitude, three should be our aim from the outset.
    Most of us know this Leeds but then there’s them that think we are not aloud to be negative against the players/ management/club.
    I want us to do well, I want Warney to do well, yes I moan when it goes wrong but I also praise when it’s needed like most

Quote Originally Posted by leedsmiller View Post

Well put leedsmiller,can i just simplify it slightly,i am not clever enough to elaborate they way you do,but my take on the way we play,and set the team up is,Warney and RB,are scared to death of our opponents midfield,if they are allowed space to play and pass,we will get ripped apart,until we can get the quality in midfield to compete with the so called better teams,we are always going to be up against it,well that's my theory anyway.

millwood? Bloody millwood! Apologies for the spelling errors. The predictive text on this tablet drive me nutty. But you get my gist!

LeedsMiller, best post on here in years.

Despite condescending from radio Sheffield and baaarnsley fans, we are championship. Lets walk the walk!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast