+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing in out from the back

Playing in out from the back

Great victory today...so pleased to see us beat the Potters.

Now, clearly the training ground / classroom tuition surrounds rolling it out from the keeper. Better football than the hoof upfield, but we need to have players who are competent, confident and fully understanding of what is required.

We ‘got away with it’ today, inasmuch as there were a few incidents when we were very close to losing the ball. Better opposition will make us pay! Hegazi (who I thought played well) didn’t look comfortable with Bartley’s continuing passback to him. Often unnecessarily and creating pressure.

There are times when the hoof upfield is the best option!

Totally agree as I've made this point on previous threads. Yes, it's great to see us playing the 'Albion Way' again but we are overplaying at the back on too many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Great victory today...so pleased to see us beat the Potters.

Now, clearly the training ground / classroom tuition surrounds rolling it out from the keeper. Better football than the hoof upfield, but we need to have players who are competent, confident and fully understanding of what is required.

We ‘got away with it’ today, inasmuch as there were a few incidents when we were very close to losing the ball. Better opposition will make us pay! Hegazi (who I thought played well) didn’t look comfortable with Bartley’s continuing passback to him. Often unnecessarily and creating pressure.

There are times when the hoof upfield is the best option!
    I think you are spot on there Prando. Hegazi has been a saviour regarding aerial threats, and again yesterday responsible for saving a couple of clear cut Stoke chances, but on the ground the new set up and Bartley who is yet to convince anyone yet seems to put needless pressure on him.

It's a stupid idea to do just about all the time. The players need to do what is best and surely they have enough about them to do so. DM needs to tell them to pass when possible if that's what he wants, but to use common sense too. We will start conceding goals from this play as opponents are bound to pick up on what we are doing.

Agreed, wrote this on the match thread yesterday.

”Worried by the short passes between our defenders and our GK - it’s ok if you have the technical ability to do so - our defenders and GK don’t...”

Even if the do have the technical ability it is still a dodgy thing to do all the time. A nippy striker only has to catch them out once and it's a goal.
    It could be the lack of aerial ability up front and in midfield means the long ball will be lost but we have to do it sometimes or a silly goal will be the outcome.

Problem is Bartley thinks he's better with the ball than he actually is.

He left me s hitting myself yesterday carrying the ball into the opposition half and leaving a gap at the back, I would not mind but both hegazi and daws are better passers, and played some great passes yesterday.

Glad he's back, but feel his tantrum and not playing has cost us some points.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post

He left me s hitting myself yesterday carrying the ball into the opposition half and leaving a gap at the back, I would not mind but both hegazi and daws are better passers, and played some great passes yesterday.

I’m still endeavouring to give him the benefit of the doubt...but it’s wearing thin. The constant pointing and supplicating raising of hands is annoying and must be aggravating his colleagues?
    Having said that, his performances have improved, so maybe .....

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post

I meant Dawson's tantrum off the pitch, but I whole heartedly agree that Bartley's Bruntesque tantrums on the pitch are very annoying.

Re playing out from the back there was an article on news now where Bartley is quoted as saying it will take time but that is what BD wants and that we should get more goals from playing that way out from the back.

Hopefully practice will make perfect.

As fans we don’t always see some of the technical aspects of the game. Years ago I was fortunate to be in the company of a well-known ex professional. I was commenting on how Jonathon Greening seemed to be dilly dallying around and almost lost the ball. He informed me that he was actually inviting players on to him in order to make space somewhere else on the pitch.
    That’s ok providing the players at the back are comfortable on the ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)