+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bad day at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - you are being paranoid. I can see no sign of this mass negativity - except from the weird ones who have always been negative about Mowbray.
    Commenting on the failings in one particular match is perfectly legitimate, in the same way that praising good features is.
    As for the big picture, I feel you have been dismissive of some of the other clubs.
    Robin's point that this is going to be a tough season doesn't show negativity on his part; it's a realistic, objective summary. You often talk as if Dack is the best player in this Division, and Mowbray the best manager. I just think those are massive claims.
    One of the reasons I like the Championship is that there are going to be lots of close, competitive games. As I said, Millwall looked superb against us for the opening quarter.
    It doesn't make sense to me, however, for you to ping every comment that isn't 100% positive.

I asked the question. Who is better than Dack? Who is more effective.
    Its a discussion point. I am NOT saying he is the best, I am not saying there are not better players. I am simply asking who is better? The whole point of a discussion, throw out a question? And debate it.
    For what he has achieved on the pitch, all the backroom stuff, how quickly he turned round a sinking ship, I asked who is doing a better job than Mowbray. Not saying he is the best, I am not saying that. But factoring in the fact he is running the club, while also managing a decent side on the pitch, I merley asked a question.

Don't worry, I wont again

Champs - you are being paranoid. I can see no sign of this mass negativity - except from the weird ones who have always been negative about Mowbray.
    Commenting on the failings in one particular match is perfectly legitimate, in the same way that praising good features is.
    As for the big picture, I feel you have been dismissive of some of the other clubs.
    Robin's point that this is going to be a tough season doesn't show negativity on his part; it's a realistic, objective summary. You often talk as if Dack is the best player in this Division, and Mowbray the best manager. I just think those are massive claims.
    One of the reasons I like the Championship is that there are going to be lots of close, competitive games. As I said, Millwall looked superb against us for the opening quarter.
    It doesn't make sense to me, however, for you to ping every comment that isn't 100% positive.

I agree, a lot of sides in this division are strong, and equal.
    I do also think its often forgotten we have just come up, and in no way in the opening games, have we been torn to shreds. Not even on Sunday, against a very good side. Despite the scoreline.
    I was not happy, I thought some of the goals we conceded where poor. I think some of the players had an off day. But one defeat in 6 doesn't equate to we will suddenly have a tough season.
    That's my opinion. And I will stick to it.
    All I heard last season was negativity. Doubting we would go up, worried about Shrewsbury, worried about Mowbrays tactics, I literally heard it all. And I stuck to my guns then. I see what I see.
    Like I will now. I'm realistic, if we are poor, I will say it. If there is relevant criticism to give , I'll give it.
    I just don't see the point of being critical over every single thing.

The postives after a win away at Hull or over Brentford where not discussed at length, like the negatives after Bristol City. That's not balance. I didn't think we would go up based on the first 5 games.
    Like I don't think we will automatically struggle for a period now, because of the nature of how we lost, and who we play next.

I think a lot depends on how you define the word "struggle". I simply mean every match is going to be a tough battle. We look at the opposition in advance to try and assess the threat, but - as we found last season - it isn't always the "best" teams who give you the most problems.
    The issues you've outlined about Dack on the other thread are a particular worry, but I'm reasonably hopeful that TM will keep him on the straight and narrow, in terms of the football itself. He has never shown any signs of his "lifestyle" in games so far, but you seem to have some knowledge that more has gone wrong than has been made public.
    The simple fact is - and I suspect Despair will support this - if you're going to follow football and your club, you have to make an embarrassing agreement with yourself to turn a blind eye to the fact that many footballers are arrogant pillocks with no sense of the real world. I try to avoid reading about the private lives of sports-people, anyway, because a) I detest this whole "celebrity" thing, and b) I'm not in the least bit interested in what they do off the pitch.
    Unfortunately, in the "Age of Twitter", I am in a dwindling minority - mainly composed of grumpy old men.
    I get equally brassed off when I read that so-and-so couldn't play because "his head wasn't in the right place". Fine - put him in a factory on a 50-hour week to see if that clears his thoughts!

I think a lot depends on how you define the word "struggle". I simply mean every match is going to be a tough battle. We look at the opposition in advance to try and assess the threat, but - as we found last season - it isn't always the "best" teams who give you the most problems.
    The issues you've outlined about Dack on the other thread are a particular worry, but I'm reasonably hopeful that TM will keep him on the straight and narrow, in terms of the football itself. He has never shown any signs of his "lifestyle" in games so far, but you seem to have some knowledge that more has gone wrong than has been made public.
    The simple fact is - and I suspect Despair will support this - if you're going to follow football and your club, you have to make an embarrassing agreement with yourself to turn a blind eye to the fact that many footballers are arrogant pillocks with no sense of the real world. I try to avoid reading about the private lives of sports-people, anyway, because a) I detest this whole "celebrity" thing, and b) I'm not in the least bit interested in what they do off the pitch.
    Unfortunately, in the "Age of Twitter", I am in a dwindling minority - mainly composed of grumpy old men.
    I get equally brassed off when I read that so-and-so couldn't play because "his head wasn't in the right place". Fine - put him in a factory on a 50-hour week to see if that clears his thoughts!

That's the thing Auks. I run around, spend money I don't have, go without to support the lads. In particular Dack!!! Who has entertained me no end on the pitch, and for that I am grateful. I have had some brilliant days/nights out down to him. I struggle so much, most of the year financially. All I want is the players who represent Rovers just give it their all, every game. I'm not sitting here saying I am perfect, and denouncing anyone making a mistake. But I am really struggling to keep my mouth shut on this latest disdemeanor.
    He was very close to be taken to jail the other day. Imagine that press conference and the embarrassment caused by that. And again I reiterate, he has not been injured. No matter how decent he is, he needs to playing. I will accept a knock but not this. This is letting everybody down. Totally get the fact we sign up for this as fans, and its nonesenical.
    I don't follow this lad on twitter, or any other type of social media. I don't care what he does, just as long as he can play well for us on a Sat. If he cant, and its non football related, and down to being a play-boy then I think we should have cut our losses last week.
    I also have no doubt TM will get the best out of him, and keep him on the straight and narrow as much as he can. But the guy cant keep him under wraps 24/7 ....Dack has to be professional.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    That's the thing Auks. I run around, spend money I don't have, go without to support the lads. In particular Dack!!! Who has entertained me no end on the pitch, and for that I am grateful. I have had some brilliant days/nights out down to him. I struggle so much, most of the year financially. All I want is the players who represent Rovers just give it their all, every game. I'm not sitting here saying I am perfect, and denouncing anyone making a mistake. But I am really struggling to keep my mouth shut on this latest disdemeanor.
    He was very close to be taken to jail the other day. Imagine that press conference and the embarrassment caused by that. And again I reiterate, he has not been injured. No matter how decent he is, he needs to playing. I will accept a knock but not this. This is letting everybody down. Totally get the fact we sign up for this as fans, and its nonesenical.
    I don't follow this lad on twitter, or any other type of social media. I don't care what he does, just as long as he can play well for us on a Sat. If he cant, and its non football related, and down to being a play-boy then I think we should have cut our losses last week.
    I also have no doubt TM will get the best out of him, and keep him on the straight and narrow as much as he can. But the guy cant keep him under wraps 24/7 ....Dack has to be professional.
    100% agreement from me. It's pathetic, really, that TM has to go and bail out a grown adult with what amounts to a plea for mercy! Acceptable for a 15-year-old, but for someone of Dack's age??!!
    The trouble is, talent isn't always accompanied by common sense or strong character. Look at Gascoigne! It's made worse by the fact that the most talented of them are molly-coddled and protected from the real world by their clubs from about the age of ten. In addition, they get surrounded by a group of leeches and sycophants who spend every day telling these "stars" how wonderful they are. Again, Gascoigne was a classic example.
    No wonder some of them go off the rails after football! What a contrast with someone like Smallwood.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)