+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Prediction: Top 6 League Positions 2018/19

Prediction: Top 6 League Positions 2018/19

I predict:

1. Celtic.
    2. Newco.
    3. Hearts.
    4. Hibs.
    5. Aberdeen.
    6. Kilmarnock.

I hope I'm wrong with No. 5!

What do you all think?

Hearts
    Celtic
    Hibs
    Aberdeen
    Kilmarnock
    Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Hearts
    Celtic
    Hibs
    Aberdeen
    Kilmarnock
    Rangers
    Who are Rangers?

Celtic
    SEVCO
    Hearts
    Aberdeen
    Hibs
    Kilmarnock

Tims
    Dons
    Huns
    Hibs
    Hearts
    St J

Just don't know.

I actually think that generally we've better squad than we had this time last year, if we can avoid too much in the way of injuries. Hoban's injury is a real sickener.

However Ryan Christie was exceptional in the first half of last season and Kenny McLean in the second, and we will struggle to replace that kind of quality.

Hearts have brought in a bunch of unknowns and got off to a flier. They already have a 7 point advantage, which is massive. But this is the Hearts way, they gamble on technically good foreigners. Other than sporadically when Romanov was splashing the cash and their budget was 3 times ours, it has not paid off very well for them. As soon as things get a bit tough the commitment, motivation and team spirit tends to go AWOL. This may be the season it works out for them, who knows, but I'm still sceptical.

Sevco have splashed the cash and have way better players than other teams outside Celtic. But to a somewhat lesser extent that was true last season as well, and they couldn't even finish runners up. Their main problem is hypercritical and ludicrously unrealistic fans (we have our fair share too, as this board abundantly testifies). As soon as it looks like they are inferior to Celtic their fans will turn on them and they'll be buried in a miasma of ill feeling and negativity. Could that cause the Gerrard experiment to implode so badly they can't even finish second? I think there's a decent chance, although I still think balance of probability they finish second.

Hibs I think are weakened and IMO they do not have a good manager. Lennon is too driven, too quick to criticise, too emotionally unstable, too blind to his own deficiencies to be a good man-manager long term, and I think man management is the main skill for a manager at SPL level. Tactics and spotting good players are what most fans seem to think matters, but there's too much consensus on those for them to be the important differences between managers. The important thing is to foster a team spirit, avoid dissension and cliques, steer clear of prima donnas and troublemakers and put a team on the park that is motivated and playing for one another. Guys like Lennon who ramp up the pressure on players can make it work well for them for a while, but it's always going to blow up their face at some point. Wouldn't surprise me to see them finish outside the top 6.

So my best guess:

Celtic
    Hunco
    Aberdeen
    Hearts
    Hibs
    Kilmarnock

But there's plenty of scope for things to look very different.
    Last edited by DollyLongstaffe; 02-09-2018 at 11:12 PM.

The Tims
    Der Hun
    Dons/Hearts
    Hearts/Dons
    Hibees
    Killie

Reckon we'll be very tight with Hearts once we get our act together, 10-15 points behind the top 2 and then 10-15 points from us two to Hibs/Killie.

Can't see Der Hun doing what they did last season and losing two weeks in a row at home to Hamilton & St.Johnstone, this will keep Sellic focused and they'll pick up a few more points than they did last season.
    Ourselves and Hearts should be too strong technically and physically for the majority of the league even if we're playing poor (or in our case set-up all wrong by the manager again) and Hibs will be Hibs and do exactly what they did at the weekend and lose games they really shouldn't.

No Europe for us is my guess(unless we get in via the cup route)

Pigs
    Sevco
    Farts
    Us
    Hibs
    Motherwell

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    Just don't know.

I actually think that generally we've better squad than we had this time last year, if we can avoid too much in the way of injuries. Hoban's injury is a real sickener.

However Ryan Christie was exceptional in the first half of last season and Kenny McLean in the second, and we will struggle to replace that kind of quality.

Hearts have brought in a bunch of unknowns and got off to a flier. They already have a 7 point advantage, which is massive. But this is the Hearts way, they gamble on technically good foreigners. Other than sporadically when Romanov was splashing the cash and their budget was 3 times ours, it has not paid off very well for them. As soon as things get a bit tough the commitment, motivation and team spirit tends to go AWOL. This may be the season it works out for them, who knows, but I'm still sceptical.

Sevco have splashed the cash and have way better players than other teams outside Celtic. But to a somewhat lesser extent that was true last season as well, and they couldn't even finish runners up. Their main problem is hypercritical and ludicrously unrealistic fans (we have our fair share too, as this board abundantly testifies). As soon as it looks like they are inferior to Celtic their fans will turn on them and they'll be buried in a miasma of ill feeling and negativity. Could that cause the Gerrard experiment to implode so badly they can't even finish second? I think there's a decent chance, although I still think balance of probability they finish second.

Hibs I think are weakened and IMO they do not have a good manager. Lennon is too driven, too quick to criticise, too emotionally unstable, too blind to his own deficiencies to be a good man-manager long term, and I think man management is the main skill for a manager at SPL level. Tactics and spotting good players are what most fans seem to think matters, but there's too much consensus on those for them to be the important differences between managers. The important thing is to foster a team spirit, avoid dissension and cliques, steer clear of prima donnas and troublemakers and put a team on the park that is motivated and playing for one another. Guys like Lennon who ramp up the pressure on players can make it work well for them for a while, but it's always going to blow up their face at some point. Wouldn't surprise me to see them finish outside the top 6.

So my best guess:

Celtic
    Hunco
    Aberdeen
    Hearts
    Hibs
    Kilmarnock

But there's plenty of scope for things to look very different.
    Excellent post Dolly, you've summed it up pretty well