+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Thought we had a Director of Football annoucement at 10am any news?

As i understand it Patching and Crawford came via Fletchers connections with Michael Owen with little/no input from KN.

Quote Originally Posted by ylnevertakethelanend View Post
    As i understand it Patching and Crawford came via Fletchers connections with Michael Owen with little/no input from KN.
    Both players may come good in the future but at our level we should only be signing players who can step into the 1st team. As HK said, we need competition in all areas to keep everyone on their toes!

Quote Originally Posted by ylnevertakethelanend View Post
    Fletcher's connections. Michael Owens a half decent racehorse owner, Patching might just turn out to be a light weight? And a problem.

Fletcher's involvement in player recruitment wouldn't excuse Nolan, but it would probably be fair to say that between the pair of them they made a right big mess of things and that's why both are no longer involved.

Kewell has clearly come in to the club on the understanding that he will be working alongside a DoF (as Short did) so it needs sorting out.

The traditionalist in us will say we don't need a DoF, but with such a high turnover of players in the modern game and agents now to be dealt with, managers can't be expected to do it all, I doubt many of them do, it's just that whoever does look after that side of things doesn't necessarily do it under the DoF title or always have a recognizable background in the game. Maybe it's naivety on that front that has cost us in recent years.

In other words - none of us really know what was going on.

Some say totally KN choice of players, others say Fletcher had considerable influence, one says little / no input from the manager.

It's all speculation, perhaps we should just move on. After all, that's what we do at Notts County!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

Some say totally KN choice of players, others say Fletcher had considerable influence, one says little / no input from the manager.

It's all speculation, perhaps we should just move on. After all, that's what we do at Notts County!
    Well, if you're willing to take people at their word, in his "farewell" speech, Kev said that HE was responsible for choosing the players and that Alan then went and tried to sign them up. As for the extent of the Fletcher involvement, I have no idea.

So, did I miss something, are we doffing or not?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It stands to reason that Fletcher was to Hardy what Rodwell was to Trew and Storrie was to Scardino, that is to say a senior board member with some background in the professional game coupled with a chairman with none. Somebody to handle the football side of things that the chairman had difficulty understanding.

You would have assumed Fletcher's expertise would have been in building bridges with the media and raising our profile, but it turns out, because Hardy told us, that his role was in recruitment, to work alongside Nolan and that Nolan was happy with what they'd cooked up together in the summer. That both have gone after 5 games strongly suggests equal culpability.

What we are in the dark about is who replaces Fletcher, has somebody turned us down or are we just waiting for things to be sorted out? Do we have a right to know? No, but it's got to be an issue for concern. As the window doesn't open again until January, I guess it's not the most pressing matter for the moment, but negotiations presumably begin before January and the targets and research is done long before that. Every bloody transfer window Notts seem to screw it up, that's what's killing us time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Well, if you're willing to take people at their word, in his "farewell" speech, Kev said that HE was responsible for choosing the players and that Alan then went and tried to sign them up. As for the extent of the Fletcher involvement, I have no idea.
    That's how I understand it.

I've never understood DF's involvement really

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It stands to reason that Fletcher was to Hardy what Rodwell was to Trew and Storrie was to Scardino, that is to say a senior board member with some background in the professional game coupled with a chairman with none. Somebody to handle the football side of things that the chairman had difficulty understanding.

You would have assumed Fletcher's expertise would have been in building bridges with the media and raising our profile, but it turns out, because Hardy told us, that his role was in recruitment, to work alongside Nolan and that Nolan was happy with what they'd cooked up together in the summer. That both have gone after 5 games strongly suggests equal culpability.

What we are in the dark about is who replaces Fletcher, has somebody turned us down or are we just waiting for things to be sorted out? Do we have a right to know? No, but it's got to be an issue for concern. As the window doesn't open again until January, I guess it's not the most pressing matter for the moment, but negotiations presumably begin before January and the targets and research is done long before that. Every bloody transfer window Notts seem to screw it up, that's what's killing us time and time again.
    Rodwell / Trew is not the same as Fletcher / Hardy.

I've not heard AH say that Fletcher's role was recruitment though, but of course, we don't all hear everything.

Certainly KN seemed to say that the players were his choice - surely he would not have said that in his final interview if it wasn't true?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast