+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kewell & Hardy presser

Good press conference. You get used to hearing managers say all the right things in these situations but I immediately detect a genuineness (is that a word?) about Harry that you don't feel from some of those who've perhaps been in the managerial game longer and do such interviews on automatic pilot.

He faces a difficult task and things may have to get worse before they get better, but perhaps in the past Notts fans have been a bit too quick to blame managers and a bit too willing to let players off relatively lightly. I see in Kewell an enthusiastic guy who is willing to give his all to take the players to a better place. If they don't take that opportunity, maybe we should be a bit more ready to call them out rather than the manager.

Well he doesn't sound much like an Aussie anymore (to me at least). He sounds like a nodding dog to me and a fairly incoherent one at that. He was over rated as a player for the most part but I'm looking forward to the before and after pics from his time at Notts. Nolan looked fresh and vibrant when he started as well. I wish him all the best but it's an odd appointment at best. I can see why Alan chose him. He's a yes man.

Good press conference but Hardy telling the red rag that he wouldn't buy Notts if he could turn back time is not the smartest move to inspire confidence

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I immediately detect a genuineness (is that a word?)
    Sincerity?

I fully agree with your post. Having been a doubter prior to watching the press conference, I am now very much a believer. That was a very impressive press conference. I thought he came across as confident, intelligent and articulate, setting out clearly what he believes we need to move forwards and get us out of the sheite. I am pretty sure the first couple of team selections will quickly show who are part of Nolan's 'lads night out' crew and who is prepared to put in a shift and work hard to move us up the table.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Well he doesn't sound much like an Aussie anymore (to me at least). He sounds like a nodding dog to me and a fairly incoherent one at that. He was over rated as a player for the most part but I'm looking forward to the before and after pics from his time at Notts. Nolan looked fresh and vibrant when he started as well. I wish him all the best but it's an odd appointment at best. I can see why Alan chose him. He's a yes man.
    I thought he was quite articulate for a football manager, no "Yer know" or "Listen Colin" or "At the end of the day" and I only counted one "Obviously". A shame he came out with the old cliche, "Everyone gets a clean sheet".

Quote Originally Posted by 80milesSouth View Post
    Good press conference but Hardy telling the red rag that he wouldn't buy Notts if he could turn back time is not the smartest move to inspire confidence
    I don't think he meant Notts County in particular, I reckon he means he wouldn't have entered the world of football club ownership. Another one of his slips though, I bet he regrets saying it now, it will be remembered, it could come back to bite him on the bum.

Thought he came across very well: pragmatic about the style of play, the situation we're in and also where some of the problems might lie. I dont think there will be room for any passengers in his team.

In the end though, as he said, the only thing that matters is winning. Today's interview, tomorrow's chip paper (although not sure that analogy works in the digital age...)

Good interview.

Not sure though about a 5 year contract!

Sounded alright. I'd be surprised to see him out on the lash with lads every night, which is good.

These things are all about sound bites at the end of the day, but I continue to be happy to hear chairman and manager talking longer term for Notts. Just because Nolo didn't work out doesn't mean that getting off the manager merry-go-round isn't the right idea.

From his demeanour he doesn’t strike me as a yes man at all. I think he wants concentrate on the coaching side as much as possible and not devote time to player negotiations etc which I think will be down DOF, I think Hardy has stated also Kewell will have the final decision on them.
    Plus I think it’s rubbish Hardy was interfering, I think it’s more the opposite that he put all his faith in Nolan picking the players to buy (hence why he wants a DOF as well as Kewell) and unfortunately I think Nolan fell well short as he probably was scuppered as he had no idea how to assemble/coach a more attacking creative team as most the sides he has played have been direct. Lets be fair last years tactics weren’t rocket science and most teams cottoned on by the second half of the season, Nolan didn’t know any other way and for fans the entertainment factor was awful, bar us having a good start result wise I was actually embarrassed the way we played and I saw the warnock era and we played a lot better football then by a country mile.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast