+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Under 23s v Coventry City Under 23s

Reds Under 23s v Coventry City Under 23s

Friday 7th Sept, 2 pm Kick off , Academy Ground,

Does anyone else think Friday is a bad day to play these fixtures ?

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Does anyone else think Friday is a bad day to play these fixtures ?
    It is Roma. It's too short notice for the saturday if you have any injuries to first teamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    It is Roma. It's too short notice for the saturday if you have any injuries to first teamers.
    That's how I see it Ponte, for example if Walton picked up an injury ( god forbid) in training on Friday ? Would we have to play Jake Greatorex and possibly the under 18s goalie on the bench ? Both great prospect's , but neither have played at this level before , I also think some away games eg Palace, Cardiff etc should be looked at, long journeys , possibly over night stays ? A lot of expense , is it worth it ? Regionalised fixtures would save on costs ,

I'd ditch the under 23 league and have youth football and reserves. That way you get what you should do. 11 first teamers, 11 back ups that when they aren't benching for the first team are playing in the reserves with your best youth beyond that to pluck from if need be.

Barnsley U23s face Coventry City on Friday afternoon at the Oakwell Training Ground and will be looking to record their second victory over the Sky Blues in five months.

The young Reds produced a five-star performance in their penultimate game of the 2017/18 Professional Development League campaign, running out 5-1 winners back in April.

Victor Adeboyejo and Amir Berkovits both netted twice for Barnsley and Sam Fielding was also on the scoresheet on a potent afternoon at the Alan Higgs Centre.

A similar performance on Friday would be just the tonic for Martin Devaney’s side who have lost three consecutive games and conceded ten goals in the process.

Monday’s 4-0 defeat at Crystal Palace was harsh on the young Reds, who had dominated the first half at Selhurst Park before the hosts ran riot after the interval.

Barnsley can move up to eighth in the North division with victory over Jason Farndon’s team, providing Hull City lose and Crewe Alexandra fail to win.

Coventry, meanwhile, are seventh in the South division with one win and a draw from their opening four fixtures. The Sky Blues recorded an impressive victory over Burnley a fortnight ago as they came from 2-0 down at half-time to triumph 4-2 at the Ricoh Arena.

Reise Allassani was the hero for City that day as he scored two late goals to secure all three points, and the young striker was also on target in Coventry’s last outing as they drew 2-2 with Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls snatched a share of the spoils in dramatic fashion as Fraser Preston netted the equaliser nine minutes into stoppage time.

Prior to our encounter back in April, the only other meeting between these two sides was in September 2016 when the Sky Blues ran out 4-1 winners in South Yorkshire. Devon Kelly-Evans netted a hat-trick for the visitors and Bilal Siyoud was also on target, while Josh Kay scored a consolation penalty for the Reds.

You can see how the U23s get on for free at the Oakwell Training Ground, kick-off is at 2pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    That's how I see it Ponte, for example if Walton picked up an injury ( god forbid) in training on Friday ? Would we have to play Jake Greatorex and possibly the under 18s goalie on the bench ? Both great prospect's , but neither have played at this level before , I also think some away games eg Palace, Cardiff etc should be looked at, long journeys , possibly over night stays ? A lot of expense , is it worth it ? Regionalised fixtures would save on costs ,
    Probably play Kendrick again in nets

Well fair enuff , dint do Glynn Riley any harm i suppose , why do we leave ourselves short though

Kendrick
    Wardle
    Trialist
    Smith
    Otim
    Berkovitz
    Trialist
    McDonagh
    Chisholm
    Feeney

Subs
    Gk. Trialist