+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basford United.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Had to reply Gumpy out of nostalgia and something that I'll always remember.

Basford back in the 60's were always a steady Notts Alliance side, like Netherfield Albion they kept in the senior division but never really challenged for the top spot as Gedling Colliery and Eastwood Town were the two best.
    Reading that took me back a bit. I was born and brought up near the top of Westdale Lane, and as a kid I often used to go along with my Dad to watch Gedling Colliery playing just along the Plains at the Miners Welfare in the late Fifties and early Sixties. Thinking about it now, the game was a lot different then. You could smell dubbin and liniment before you even got to the ground and - talk about a man's game - I don't think 'brutal' was too strong a word. The facilities were good there, as someone said. I found that out for myself as I used to play cricket for Gedling Colliery a few years later, in the days when ex-Cup Final referee Reg Leafe was still playing (although doing boundaries only by then). Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Reading that took me back a bit. I was born and brought up near the top of Westdale Lane, and as a kid I often used to go along with my Dad to watch Gedling Colliery playing just along the Plains at the Miners Welfare in the late Fifties and early Sixties. Thinking about it now, the game was a lot different then. You could smell dubbin and liniment before you even got to the ground and - talk about a man's game - I don't think 'brutal' was too strong a word. The facilities were good there, as someone said. I found that out for myself as I used to play cricket for Gedling Colliery a few years later, in the days when ex-Cup Final referee Reg Leafe was still playing (although doing boundaries only by then). Those were the days.
    Cricket wise you may have played with Eric Martin and Colin Reavill. Leafey may have played at the same time but I can't remember. I was poached from Boots to take over from the great Walter Kirk at right back as soon as Walt retired after he'd put in 21 seasons with the colliery. Mart still played on the left wing in front of me. Alan Brown took over the captaincy but with Ron Salvin, Johnny Riley, Clack Barkes, Joey Kay, Terry Day and Jack Harper all retiring about the same time, this started the fall to mediocrity of the football club. I only had two seasons at Plains Road before retiring at 28 with torn ankle ligaments which would be back in 1965/66 I think it was.
    Last edited by seriouspie; 04-09-2018 at 09:14 PM.

The cricketers I remember include Gordon Stringfellow, Ken Robinson and a couple of really quick bowlers, Kenyon and Thompson. The only footballer's name I remembered (even without your prompt) was Clack Barkes. It's a long time ago, but I'm sure he was either a centre or inside forward. He seemed to model himself on Nat Lofthouse, because whenever he put the ball in the net he went in as well together with what was left of the keeper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123