+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basford United.

Basford United.

Makes you wonder how much Notts are paying them, did we do the same at Arnold.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Had to reply Gumpy out of nostalgia and something that I'll always remember.

Basford back in the 60's were always a steady Notts Alliance side, like Netherfield Albion they kept in the senior division but never really challenged for the top spot as Gedling Colliery and Eastwood Town were the two best. In those days Basford played at the famous old Mill Street ground, a bit of a sludge heap when wet. I was with Boots Athletic at the time playing full back when the winger blasted the ball (the old type) straight in my face from about 3 yards as I attempted to block his centre. The result was a flattened nose and my all blue strip was changed to crimson and blue.

From that moment on I was referred to as "Bleeder", a name that stuck for months. Happy days ...... and good to see Basford's progress.

Oh, another ambitious non league team. My tip for the top in the premier league, then the champions league is Wisbech Town. They will be pushed hard by Soham Town Rangers, and Ely City.
    The people running Basford should see a psychologist, and be re introduced to reality.

Could the nightmare come true and we become the FOURTH best team in Nottinghamshire?

Seriously - not a prayer, THIRD best team but never fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Had to reply Gumpy out of nostalgia and something that I'll always remember.

Basford back in the 60's were always a steady Notts Alliance side, like Netherfield Albion they kept in the senior division but never really challenged for the top spot as Gedling Colliery and Eastwood Town were the two best. In those days Basford played at the famous old Mill Street ground, a bit of a sludge heap when wet. I was with Boots Athletic at the time playing full back when the winger blasted the ball (the old type) straight in my face from about 3 yards as I attempted to block his centre. The result was a flattened nose and my all blue strip was changed to crimson and blue.

From that moment on I was referred to as "Bleeder", a name that stuck for months. Happy days ...... and good to see Basford's progress.
    They once played spurs on that ground in the fall cup

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    They once played spurs on that ground in the fall cup
    I can find no record of Basford ever playing Tottenham Hotspur in the FA cup. The only local non league teams I recollect reaching the 1st round proper are Eastwood Town, Arnold FC ...... and Linby Colliery

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    I can find no record of Basford ever playing Tottenham Hotspur in the FA cup. The only local non league teams I recollect reaching the 1st round proper are Eastwood Town, Arnold FC ...... and Linby Colliery
    There was a photo and plaque up in the changing rooms. when it was behind were the petrol station is known I think they lost 6/0

Mmmmm, on wiki their best ever F.A.Cup performance was a third round preliminary tie against Kettering, in 2017, other than this being mentioned in their history. In 1937 in a FA Cup tie against Grantham United set their record attendance of 3,500.

I played a few games for Basford United in the mid 60's when I was still at school, and played on the old, and very muddy, Mill Street ground. If my memory serves me, we used to to have meetings in the Mill pub, and the team was managed by a fellow called Wallace Brownlow. If you were selected to play, you received a post card through the post. Not many people had phones in those days. I remember playing against Players on their Aspley Lane ground. It was said to be the best non league playing surface in the county.
    Happy days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast