+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ball

David Ball

With hindsight I would not have renewed my season ticket.

I absolutely hate our style of football in the championship and truly believed that Warne wouldnt have been so negative.

Quote Originally Posted by one_a_day View Post
    With hindsight I would not have renewed my season ticket.

I absolutely hate our style of football in the championship and truly believed that Warne wouldnt have been so negative.
    Despite some moaning fans usually accept a TINA position, grudgingly accepting that the board know best and are following the best strategy for the club and (less commonly) that the manager's tactics are also the best given the players available.
    What seems clear to me (others will disagree) is that the board has absolutely no strategy whatsoever to establish the club in the Championship. Quite possibly there is no such strategy that would work. But certainly, in terms of nurturing talent, scouting, recruitment, developing players etc, RUFC has no discernible plan for success. It's very much a wing and a prayer outfit.
    Then we come to the manager. Decent bloke. RUFC through and through. Did better than expected at L1 level. But he's also the cheap option and accepts what the board are prepared to give him without so far as can be seen putting up much of an argument. he's also very cautious, very negative and from my perspective seems to have no very clear idea of what he is trying to achieve. We never surprise other teams, we never try anything, we simply aim to hang on in there and hope something turns up.
    There is no likelihood that any of this is going to change anytime soon.

What a pair of pillocks.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Despite some moaning fans usually accept a TINA position, grudgingly accepting that the board know best and are following the best strategy for the club and (less commonly) that the manager's tactics are also the best given the players available.
    What seems clear to me (others will disagree) is that the board has absolutely no strategy whatsoever to establish the club in the Championship. Quite possibly there is no such strategy that would work. But certainly, in terms of nurturing talent, scouting, recruitment, developing players etc, RUFC has no discernible plan for success. It's very much a wing and a prayer outfit.
    Then we come to the manager. Decent bloke. RUFC through and through. Did better than expected at L1 level. But he's also the cheap option and accepts what the board are prepared to give him without so far as can be seen putting up much of an argument. he's also very cautious, very negative and from my perspective seems to have no very clear idea of what he is trying to achieve. We never surprise other teams, we never try anything, we simply aim to hang on in there and hope something turns up.
    There is no likelihood that any of this is going to change anytime soon.
    No it won't, that's true, because the prime directive is not to go bust.

Which isn't a bad thing is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post

I thought the prime directive was not to interfere in the development of alien civilisations.

You see, naked, your proposition effectively closes off debate. It's TINA. The only alternative to the club's present approach is bankruptcy. I'm not sure that stands up to examination but it seems accepted by most on MM which is fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    What a pair of pillocks.
    You really are a berk, pal. if you don't agree with a post put some sensible counter arguments not just insults.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post

Sorry, naked, but I had to sort something out before I could properly respond. With respect you are using the Thomas More "straw man" argument by reducing an argument to a false dichotomy and then inviting the other person to agree/disagree with something that was no part of his original argument. How, for example is a suggestion that the club improve its scouting or that PW might be a little more adventurous in his style of play inviting bankruptcy? You say nothing (nothing) should change as the alternative is we go bust. I don't agree nor do I see how you can arrive at such a bald conclusion. But as I said most on MM agree with you and I can live with it. Attendance at games is not after all compulsory.

Monty it’s early days so far in the championship and yes Warnes cautious approach so far is imo frustrating and not necessarily the way to go.

I think he did an exceptional job last year from what he inherited and the distance traveled which ended in promotion.
    We can’t financially compete in the championship and I couldn’t without all the facts make a judgement on the calls for spending more money.

I agree with some of your points but feel you are been unfair to call Warne the cheap option.
    No guarantees paying more for a so called better manager would improve results.

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    I agree with some of your points but feel you are been unfair to call Warne the cheap option.
    No guarantees paying more for a so called better manager would improve results.
    Back of the net, thanks for the very fair and balanced response. I agree with you about the difficulty of assessing the value and feasibility of more investment but I was calling more for a change of approach and a more targetted use of resources (I think).
    As to "cheap option" I hesitated to use this but it was not intended as disparagement of PW but used more in the specific sense that had the club recruited a more experienced manager that person would only have taken the job if the club had guaranteed greater investment in the team. In that sense PW is for the board a "cheap option."
    Thanks again for the considered response. It would be unfortunate if any suggestions of a change of approach were always to be met with being called a pillock or wishing to bankrupt the club.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast