What a season for the Honey Badgers, last season we finished 3rd last, this season we double the size of our squad and have two teams; div 4 Honey Badgers and div 5 Nebula.

As I have mentioned briefly in other threads, I found myself in goals this season, mainly due to my safe hands (AFL back ground),agility and decent kick. I received a massive contact injury 5 or 6 weeks ago, placing me on the side lines for 4 weeks and only becoming fit to play the first semi final (1 vs 2 winner gets a week off.)

I trained well during that week, and the manager and I agreed that maybe a 20min stint to see how the leg pulled up. Aaron the keeper who came up from the 2's (well div 5 team) did an awesome job in the 3 games I was warming the stands. But when the whistle came to start the first semi, Badgers vs the undefeated North Lakes team (mind you they hadn't beaten us this season, 1 draw, and 1 agreeable NR) Aaron was caught in Friday traffic and hadn't got his gear on; so I had a 5-10min stint and that would be it. Aaron kept very well, despite a brain explosion at 25mins that saw him get a yellow, he had a couple of amazing saves to keep us at 1-1 and the manager didn't know what to do in regards to me, I insisted Aaron stayed out there whilst his confidence was high, so he did. Full time 1-1, then a penalty shoot out, we ended up going down 3-2 in penalties...

Come next week, I mentioned to the manager that he should leave Aaron in goal, and maybe use me with my pace as a pinch hitter in the midfield to cause havoc with much slower opponents, so Monday training came and Yubby's body was pushed to prove he has the ability; only to strain his right hammy and left groin. The manager recieved a message from me telling him, if you have a fit 20th player to come into the squad, sub me out, he didn't so i became back up keeper and 19th squad member in the knock out semi against Samford (in which a former Fijian midfielder who had 50 plus caps for his country, and even played against David Beckam when his Red Bull team played Central Coast Mariners some years ago) Aaron started the game and when an altercation was had in the box about 10mins into the game, Aaron had an even bigger explosion than previous week resulting in a red card, and the badgers down to 10 men and sub keeper Yubby thrown into the game.

0-0 at half time, Badgers despite 10 men playing inspirational football. We went 1-0 up when an opportunistic goal fell our zippy little midfielders way, only to have Yubby pull out of a dive 10mins later to only have his poor judgement have the ball hit the post, and rebound directly into a trailing midfielder. WHY THE STUFF DIDN'T I JUST PUSH IT WIDE!!!!!! So full time whistle goes with scores locked at 1-1 and we are back at an all to familiar penalty shoot out with novice keeper Yubby(never played in penalties, did save one preseason) to push the balls wide!

The shoot out was in such good spirit by both teams, I kept the first 2 out, which kept us 1 in front right up till our manager a 5th kicker missed and they had their last kick, and legend would have it Badgers through to the grand final.