+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Eoin Jess

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    It's a shame we were so relentlessly sh*te during his second spell here. Hard to think of many bright spots in supporting the Dons during that period.
    One of my favourite fitba stats is that Eoin Jess’s record during that horrendous period, often when he’s playing out of position & carrying the whole team, is almost identical to Brian Laudrups. The player who we’re often told is the greatest ever to play in this country

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdrier View Post
    He was the best player of his generation up until that injury, in a team that was already blessed with attacking talents (unlike the current one). Should and would have won the league that year if it wasn't for his injury. People talk wrongly about some of the recent Aberdeen sides being great - that 92/93 side was a right good team.
    From memory, that was a brilliant season. Don’t think we dropped too many points. We did lose three of the four games to Rangers if I mind right though

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr75 View Post
    From memory, that was a brilliant season. Don’t think we dropped too many points. We did lose three of the four games to Rangers if I mind right though
    Wasn't that the season when we played them off the park at Pittodrie, Goram had an absolute blinder and they stole a 1-0?

92-93 was a strong h*n team. Undoubtedly the last time a Scottish club had a chance of winning the European Cup. The following season they had an awful start and if we'd had our own act together we could have built up a huge lead by Christmas. Unfortunately we were far less consistent than we has been the previous season especially away from home. With hindsight, the rot was already starting to set in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    One of my favourite fitba stats is that Eoin Jess’s record during that horrendous period, often when he’s playing out of position & carrying the whole team, is almost identical to Brian Laudrups. The player who we’re often told is the greatest ever to play in this country
    I never knew that

Good factage min

What records are you talking about ? ........goals scored ?

Games played & goals scored. The stats for both players are very similar. If you include Jess first spell, he blows Laudrup out the water

Games played & goals scored. The stats for both players are very similar. If you include Jess first spell, he blows Laudrup out the water
    Aye , he was some player for us. And I've been trying to think of any other individual performances to rival Jess that day at Dunfermline , but I can't. Even better than Frankie's 4-goal blitz agains the Tims.

But dinna let some of the other posters on here know that you're nae counting trophies and winners medals between Laudrup and Jess. Some of them think that's the only stat that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Aye , he was some player for us. And I've been trying to think of any other individual performances to rival Jess that day at Dunfermline , but I can't. Even better than Frankie's 4-goal blitz agains the Tims.

But dinna let some of the other posters on here know that you're nae counting trophies and winners medals between Laudrup and Jess. Some of them think that's the only stat that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post

What a stupid observation there’s plenty of great players who didn’t win much in their career however the same can’t be said of great managers

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Wasn't that the season when we played them off the park at Pittodrie, Goram had an absolute blinder and they stole a 1-0?

92-93 was a strong h*n team. Undoubtedly the last time a Scottish club had a chance of winning the European Cup. The following season they had an awful start and if we'd had our own act together we could have built up a huge lead by Christmas. Unfortunately we were far less consistent than we has been the previous season especially away from home. With hindsight, the rot was already starting to set in.
    Thats the one. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at them that night. Goram's performance that night is one of the best i have ever seen from a goalkeeper and that game was pivotal towards the huns winning the league that year. A very decent Dons team none the less. Unfortunately as you pointed out we couldn't find the same level of consistency the following season. Rangers were absolutely there for the taking and we blew it. One of the biggest missed oportunities in our history and even all these years later i still always feel a wee bit of anger when i think back to that season.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast