+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stendel’s thoughts on the Oldham game

Stendel’s thoughts on the Oldham game

After seeing his side come from one-goal behind to take three points in their opening match of the Checkatrade Trophy, the Reds’ Head Coach praised the effort and commitment of his young players.

Oldham opened the scoring midway through the first half courtesy of Sam Surridge, before Victor Adeboyejo levelled proceedings just before the break. Second-half substitute George Moncur completed the turnaround, curling into the top corner during the final 10 minutes.

“I think it was a good performance.” Said Stendel. “We have a new team on the pitch with 10 players changed from the last game who hadn’t played too much, as well as being very young. My impression is that we tried to play every time and we came back from 1-0 to Oldham, so I think we deserved to win and the attitude was very good from the team. We had a few little injuries at the end but we showed fight to win the game.

“It's good for him [George Moncur] that he scored, he’s a good player, so we need good offensive players that can score and he did that, so I hope that gives him more confidence for Saturday.”

The Reds played a couple of different formations during the match, as well as handing a first competitive start to Ben Williams and Jacob Brown. Both players, having graduated from the U23s last season, have been in and around the first team squad during pre-season and they occupied the full-back positions on either side at Boundary Park.

“The main point was the improvement,” Stendel commented, reflecting on seeing his side come from behind to win. “I am satisfied with the game and the squad. We improved during the game and we changed the game in terms of the result, with a good attitude, this is what I like. In the second half we tried to play from Jack [Walton], not every ball was a long one so today was a game we could try that. It’s good for the confidence and for the players to know we can do it.

“We have the idea earlier than today,” Stendel replied when asked about players such as Jacob Brown playing in an unfamiliar role. “He’s a good young player in the squad and we believe in him, he can play more positions and right-back is a good position for him. He can attack and run, he can defend and he has a big heart. I think we saw that, so I am happy he’s in the squad.”

Mike Bähre was seen in action for the first time since completing his deadline-day move from Hannover 96. The midfielder occupied a central position, looking neat and composed on the ball before being substituted for match-winner Moncur.

“I think it was a good start from Mike, I spoke with him before the game and everything is new for him. He only had one day of training with the team so it’s not easy but I think he played well, but I know he can play better. He’ll help us this season, I have a lot of trust in him. I’ve known him for six years, I’m happy he’s come to Barnsley. He can play number six, number eight, number 10, on the wing, so he’s very able in his positions and he’s a good option.”

The Reds will be without first-team regulars, Adam Davies and Kenny Dougall when they take on Walsall this weekend. The pair have been called up to represent their countries on international duty. Stendel was pleased to see that he has other options in the side though to take their places.

“At the moment we think it’s a good chance to play for all players and they can show us they should play every week. It makes us think about the XI for the next game, three or four players showed they could play on Saturday. We’ve got injuries, players on internationals so it was good to see the fight and it makes it a difficult decision for Saturday.”

Walton

Cavare, Lindsay, Pinnock, Pinnillos

Thiam, Mcgeehan, Mowatt, Potts

Moncur, Moore.

Agree Ponte - but with Cavare and Potts on the right and Pinillos and Thiam on the left

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    Agree Ponte - but with Cavare and Potts on the right and Pinillos and Thiam on the left
    Yeah think it would be daft to make any changes bar the enforced ones. Keep up the momentum mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Walton

Moncur, Moore.
    Young Bird or Bahre in for Dougall for me , McGeehan ain't done anything to warrant a start in my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Young Bird or Bahre in for Dougall for me , McGeehan ain't done anything to warrant a start in my opinion .
    I would prefer Jared Byrd , not seen Bahre yet , so can't really comment , The Virran ov the Varrys sed average ? I expect there is more to come from Mcgeecan ? Well I'm hoping so , no need for altering things just now IMO, strait swap Byrd for Dougall , is Potts out injured tho ? If so may have to play Mcgeecan

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Walton

Moncur, Moore.
    Not sold on a team of players that would rather shoot from thirty yards than pass the ball to an unmarked striker for a tap in. Other than that, if Barnsley continue to pass the ball around, as they have been doing and don't let Moncur and Potts dwell on the ball too long they should be allright and definitely must be considered favourites in the league to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I would prefer Jared Byrd , not seen Bahre yet , so can't really comment , The Virran ov the Varrys sed average ? I expect there is more to come from Mcgeecan ? Well I'm hoping so , no need for altering things just now IMO, strait swap Byrd for Dougall , is Potts out injured tho ? If so may have to play Mcgeecan
    Isgrove for Potts maybe roma unless he's slipped gerrin off team bus when the got back last night and he's art till crimbo .

Quote Originally Posted by theojustice View Post
    Not sold on a team of players that would rather shoot from thirty yards than pass the ball to an unmarked striker for a tap in. Other than that, if Barnsley continue to pass the ball around, as they have been doing and don't let Moncur and Potts dwell on the ball too long they should be allright and definitely must be considered favourites in the league to go up.
    I like to see a side have a crack at goal to be honest , shows confidence .

Sometime soon a team coming to Oakwell is going to get put in the 7 or 8 club because those shots are all going to fly in and we will have one of those days .

Some team , don't know who is going to get thumped 6 or 7 this season , it may well happen a few times , wouldn't be suprised to see an 8 Reds goals in a match , great attacking options just now from all over the pitch , my highest Reds win prediction would be 7 this season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast