+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Tootle:

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    What I want to know is if Tootle is still 'the judge'. According to the NEP, this was one of the main innovations of Nolan's pre-season, appointing Toots as judge and jury to dish out fines to players who break rules.

Will HK want to continue with this great way to delegate responsibility for discipline so that he doesn't have to do it himself and can stay mates with them? Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater Harry, we might have a DoF but we still need a judge, especially since we sold the last one to Brentford.
    Dyche at Burnley lets the players run their own discipline system by the way and I don't think he's a pushover.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Dyche at Burnley lets the players run their own discipline system by the way and I don't think he's a pushover.
    Maybe not, but he's bottom of the league as well. Almost.

I would like to see Notts players in the press saying they're giving up being sheite.

I'll have to give a serious take on the subject of gambling, because it's a subject close to my heart. The buzzphrase the industry uses which says "When the fun stops - STOP" is a good one, but since the age of 14 (50 years ago) I've always considered the golden rule to be "Never bet more than you can afford to lose". As a 14 year old I learned the hard way, but fortunately with minimal losses. In those days I used to take my grandad's bet to the local back street bookie knowing there would be a tanner reward if I delivered his winnings. Back then it was his selections written on a bit of paper with his signature of 'Bob'. I became very interested in horse racing as a result, and soon scrawled my own selections using my pocket money under a name I have long forgotten. I had modest success at first with half my pocket money which tempted me to put the lot on. One week when every horse I backed lost I had to go a whole week without sweets, but it was an absolutely crucial lesson in my gambling strategy. I know I go on a lot about betting on here, but I am a very small stakes gambler. It's a very enjoyable hobby to me rather than a profit making scheme, although I have definitely made a profit since I started internet gambling. To make that profit you have to be very aware and disciplined, and take full advantage of the many offers the bookies make. That's always the advice I've offered on here rather than my tips. It seems Matt Tootle didn't do that, so he is far better off in all ways staying away from gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Maybe not, but he's bottom of the league as well. Almost.
    That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'll have to give a serious take on the subject of gambling, because it's a subject close to my heart. The buzzphrase the industry uses which says "When the fun stops - STOP" is a good one, but since the age of 14 (50 years ago) I've always considered the golden rule to be "Never bet more than you can afford to lose". As a 14 year old I learned the hard way, but fortunately with minimal losses. In those days I used to take my grandad's bet to the local back street bookie knowing there would be a tanner reward if I delivered his winnings. Back then it was his selections written on a bit of paper with his signature of 'Bob'. I became very interested in horse racing as a result, and soon scrawled my own selections using my pocket money under a name I have long forgotten. I had modest success at first with half my pocket money which tempted me to put the lot on. One week when every horse I backed lost I had to go a whole week without sweets, but it was an absolutely crucial lesson in my gambling strategy. I know I go on a lot about betting on here, but I am a very small stakes gambler. It's a very enjoyable hobby to me rather than a profit making scheme, although I have definitely made a profit since I started internet gambling. To make that profit you have to be very aware and disciplined, and take full advantage of the many offers the bookies make. That's always the advice I've offered on here rather than my tips. It seems Matt Tootle didn't do that, so he is far better off in all ways staying away from gambling.
    That's fair enough Elite, I've never met you but you seem to me the perfect kind of personality to be able to gamble and do it well and safely. It's like heroin, maybe one person in a hundred thousand can do it, enjoy it and come off it. Everyone else gets into serious trouble.

Fact is though the vast majority of people aren't as knowledgeable or disciplined as they think and will get themselves into trouble to some degree. The fact that bookies offer special offers and bonuses to get people to sign up says everything. I knew someone who committed suicide because of gambling debts, someone else who lost his house. I've never done anything really stupid but have almost certainly lost a few grand in dribs and drabs during my lifetime.

I still bet and enjoy it, but I think bookmakers are way too high profile. I know we're all consenting adults but it must be awful being a compulsive gambler and sports fan being bombarded with odds during every ad break.

Anyway best wishes to Tootle in his recovery.

That's fair enough Elite, I've never met you but you seem to me the perfect kind of personality to be able to gamble and do it well and safely. It's like heroin, maybe one person in a hundred thousand can do it, enjoy it and come off it. Everyone else gets into serious trouble.

Fact is though the vast majority of people aren't as knowledgeable or disciplined as they think and will get themselves into trouble to some degree. The fact that bookies offer special offers and bonuses to get people to sign up says everything. I knew someone who committed suicide because of gambling debts, someone else who lost his house. I've never done anything really stupid but have almost certainly lost a few grand in dribs and drabs during my lifetime.

I still bet and enjoy it, but I think bookmakers are way too high profile. I know we're all consenting adults but it must be awful being a compulsive gambler and sports fan being bombarded with odds during every ad break.

Good post driller, and I can't help but notice the bit where you say "The fact that bookies offer special offers and bonuses to get people to sign up says everything". This is spot on, but in a selfish sense the sort who tend to be attracted by these offers are generally mug punters who subsidise anyone with a clinical mind.

Bookies have been successful in creating an environment where gambling on a match is an intrinsic part of enjoying it, especially, in my experience, with younger people. I’m sure the authorities will wring their hands at stories like the one Matt Tootle has told, but it won’t stop them from allowing children to be bombarded by gambling adverts during matches, letting bookmakers sponsor a large number of football clubs, and having a bookmaker sponsor the actual league we play in.

Gambling is a lot like smoking used to be, no one is yet fully aware of the damage it’s doing, and the problems it’ll create in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Bookies have been successful in creating an environment where gambling on a match is an intrinsic part of enjoying it, especially, in my experience, with younger people. I’m sure the authorities will wring their hands at stories like the one Matt Tootle has told, but it won’t stop them from allowing children to be bombarded by gambling adverts during matches, letting bookmakers sponsor a large number of football clubs, and having a bookmaker sponsor the actual league we play in.

Gambling is a lot like smoking used to be, no one is yet fully aware of the damage it’s doing, and the problems it’ll create in the future.
    Sorry, but gambling, especially internet gambling is a massive ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

May not have quite the same physical effects as smoking, drugs or alcohol but it can destroy families and lead to huge problems.

Elite makes the point about putting a bit on for his grandad etc. - that was when the bookies were little back-alley places imo. It's in your face everywhere and far too easily accessible now. While I am posting this there will be thousands having a 'one last time ...' The problem is that for 99.9% it won't be.

I am not saying that gambling should be totally banned as that would drive it underground. Internet gambling should be though imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post

I have to disagree with the line
    "Gambling is a lot like smoking used to be, no one is yet fully aware of the damage it’s doing, and the problems it’ll create in the future."
    The powers that be are more than aware of the problems it causes and the damage it does to People.
    The thing is they aren't bothered as the industry is massive and generates bucket loads of cash for them.
    its as simple as that money talks , why do you think that alcohol is still legal and has not be banned.
    As drugs go there is no worse drug on the market, yet it still widely available and promoted .............!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I have to disagree with the line
    "Gambling is a lot like smoking used to be, no one is yet fully aware of the damage it’s doing, and the problems it’ll create in the future."
    The powers that be are more than aware of the problems it causes and the damage it does to People.
    The thing is they aren't bothered as the industry is massive and generates bucket loads of cash for them.
    its as simple as that money talks , why do you think that alcohol is still legal and has not be banned.
    As drugs go there is no worse drug on the market, yet it still widely available and promoted .............!
    Hmmm, the difference as I see it is that smoking is bad for everyone in any way, shape or form, while gambling and alcohol consumption can offer pleasure as long as they are used responsibly. If everything like that is banned simply because some people don't use it responsibly then life would be extremely dull.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast