+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Keeper today?

Keeper today?

Would have to be before noon to play tomorrow I imagine ... though noises about giving players "benefit of the doubt" from Kewell fill me with dread.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post
    Would have to be before noon to play tomorrow I imagine ... though noises about giving players "benefit of the doubt" from Kewell fill me with dread.
    I thought exactly the same. How ob does it need to be that we need a new keeper??? We get at least a goal a game given away by an error from the keeper.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...county-1976619

I don’t think it’s a bad message to give the squad. It’s a ‘show me you are good enough’ message. A clean slate.
    As a fan base we tend not to forgive or forget poor performances, even if they were 12 months ago, under different management.
    I think a new keeper is imperative, more to provide Fitz with competition and hopefully a kick up the backside. At the moment who replaces him? And I think he is playing like a player who knows it doesn’t matter as no one is going to drop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I think a new keeper is imperative, more to provide Fitz with competition and hopefully a kick up the backside.
    Probably not the best choice of words

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post
    That dreaded statement, "benefit of the doubt" is usually followed by the same old, same old. The fans vociferous opinion of useless players is rarely taken notice of. Expect the loss of another game or two or three before the penny drops. The point is, the naff players just can't improve their game, they can't display skills they don't possess, if they could, they would, but they can't so they won't. Some managers are quicker than others at spotting dead wood, let's hope HK's inexperience is not in evaluating a players' ability and he is one of the quicker ones.

He still mentioned bring some players in during his Eggs-hit-her prematch, Not today tho.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...ll-pre-exeter/

I think keepers can be signed at any point in an emergency situation. I'm hoping we are just giving Exeter false hope and that we'll announce Fitzsimons has a stomach bug and that we've signed an emergency goalie for the game and going forward. It is looking more and more depressingly likely that we aren't signing Karl Henry though. But we do desperately need a keeper. Fitzsimons proved on Tuesday he can't be trusted in goal

I hope that regardless of opinions expressed on this message board, if Ross Fitzsimons is in goal tomorrow the travelling fans give him a warm welcome and plenty of encouragement. There's nothing to be gained from doing anything else. Goalkeeper is a lonely position in any team and confidence levels make a lot of difference to decision-making. If the manager is searching for another option, that will take care of itself in due course, but for now it would be self-defeating to give the lad flack.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I hope that regardless of opinions expressed on this message board, if Ross Fitzsimons is in goal tomorrow the travelling fans give him a warm welcome and plenty of encouragement. There's nothing to be gained from doing anything else. Goalkeeper is a lonely position in any team and confidence levels make a lot of difference to decision-making. If the manager is searching for another option, that will take care of itself in due course, but for now it would be self-defeating to give the lad flack.
    Right answer

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Right answer
    Of course. Unlike outfield players, who can sometimes be blamed for not tracking back or being lazy, when a keeper is rubbish, it's because they are rubbish and/or low on confidence. Fitz is probably both, but jeering him won't help.

The truth is, we'll get nowhere without a decent keeper. So the sooner this is sorted the better.