+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t Barnsley, said this before and I will say it again

o/t Barnsley, said this before and I will say it again

It pains me to say it but the people of Barnsley are much friendlier and more welcoming than those in my beloved Rotherham.

This isn't a one off, time and time again, I have had this reinforced with my regular visits there.

Take the train station and the surrounding cafes in Barnsley...the staff can't do enough for you. Good old Yorkshire hospitality.

Compare this with the monosyllabic grunts who work in Rotherham's train station/bus station who look offended if you ask them a question....or the hatchet faced old crones who throw a sausage roll in your direction, should you have the audacity to order one from a Rotherham cafe.

What is the reason for this? There is not much difference economically between Rotherham and Barnsley so how come there is such a huge difference in manners, courtesy and decency?

Because they're all related to each other!

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    It pains me to say it but the people of Barnsley are much friendlier and more welcoming than those in my beloved Rotherham.

This isn't a one off, time and time again, I have had this reinforced with my regular visits there.

Take the train station and the surrounding cafes in Barnsley...the staff can't do enough for you. Good old Yorkshire hospitality.

Compare this with the monosyllabic grunts who work in Rotherham's train station/bus station who look offended if you ask them a question....or the hatchet faced old crones who throw a sausage roll in your direction, should you have the audacity to order one from a Rotherham cafe.

What is the reason for this? There is not much difference economically between Rotherham and Barnsley so how come there is such a huge difference in manners, courtesy and decency?
    So sad to get attention on a football forum ..reminds me of a kempozil style post..

As usual, IBS, you have your finger right on the local pulse. Barnsley has long been known as the friendliest town in South Yorks and in one survey 93% of residents considered it "very friendly" - the figure for Rotherham was 54%. Interestingly, back in the late 1990s the Council For the Protection of Rural England did a survey which showed that on average only 115 left Barnsley each year, the lowest figure for any town in England. Keep up the good work and ignore the miserabilists - hardly any of them live in Rotherham anyway.

I was there yesterday, full of smackheads begging for rollups.

Is way busier than Rotherham town centre though.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I was there yesterday, full of smackheads begging for rollups.
    But they did say "please and thank you"

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    As usual, IBS, you have your finger right on the local pulse. Barnsley has long been known as the friendliest town in South Yorks and in one survey 93% of residents considered it "very friendly" - the figure for Rotherham was 54%. Interestingly, back in the late 1990s the Council For the Protection of Rural England did a survey which showed that on average only 115 left Barnsley each year, the lowest figure for any town in England. Keep up the good work and ignore the miserabilists - hardly any of them live in Rotherham anyway.
    Any theories as to why though Monty?

I am flummoxed, I will be honest with you, as to why a town a few miles up the road is much more welcoming?

But they did say "please and thank you"
    That's not true IBS they do not use "e" in the spoken form they only have 4 vowels "uh" "ah" "yuh" and "dah" a good friend of mine teachers Barnsley at Poly and can confirm such

Any theories as to why though Monty?

I am flummoxed, I will be honest with you, as to why a town a few miles up the road is much more welcoming?
    No, I don't IBS. Up here Ulverston and Keswick are warm and friendly towns while you might well get assaulted on a day out in Lancaster or Morecambe. Rotherham was never friendly; if you got home after a night out without some yob wanting a scrap you were doing well when I lived there.

**** off to Barnsley then and post on thier site.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast