+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wing backs and my take on producing quality ones

Wing backs and my take on producing quality ones

In general the defenders are defenders because there limited in skill. Ok make not the centre backs because you need to be strong and tall. However I remember watching Ashley Young filling in a left back for a short period during a game and looked so comfortable. I thought blimey he's better than Bouma. Low and behold we have now seen some very technically gifted ex villa players do well in this position eg Milner Delph and Young.
    I remember MON saying it doesn't mater what position you play you need to be good everywhere. In football you don't just stay in one place. I loved the way Barry Milner and Young could switch from left right and centre during the game and all help out defensively.
    In my opinion were to hung up on positions and a bit out dated. We need good technical players all over the pitch. I'm guessing most defenders are defenders because there skills are limited. So why not put skilled players in defensive positions so we have quality throughout the team.
    I know I've said this before and got laughed at but now some of the best coaches in the world are doing this as well. In the current squad Green would be great as a wing back if he had say Terry Chester and Collins as the back 3.
    In fact buying Terry and Collins would solve a massive problem at vp.

Some interesting thoughts there Bong, my lad's U14's coach is a really switched on guy and will take calculated risks in games but only to a point. I once suggested he push his own lad higher up the pitch as he has good quality behind him, he didn't agree because some players instinctively operate deep whereas others are naturally better in advanced areas. I reflected on that and on the whole I think he's right, the likes of Young and Milner are perhaps the exceptions that prove the rule or perhaps there just aren't enough technically capable players to fill these positions.

Good points. It just shows you how good Barry was. Started as left back and then turned into an England midfielder. I can't see out current crop of wing backs managing to do that. There again Jedi is the contradiction I guess. He should have superior ability on the ball but stuggles at centre back. It could be possible I'm talking bollox.

I like the idea of wingbacks, if Huth signs now weve lost Terry we could line up luje this-

.............................GK?
    .........Tuzanabe....Huth......Chester

Bolasie......McGinn.....Whelan.....Elghazi
    .......................Grealish

...............Kodija.........Abrahams

Ps Barry started as A centre back, i was there when he made his debut, it was obvious he had more to offer so they switched him to defensive midfield.

Eh really? You sure? I remember him playing left back before MON started playing in the midfield? Didn't he get capped at left back quite young?

I would go with that team apart from swap whelan for Jedi. Not much in it though.
    I said earlier on in the window I was happy with an old pro as keeper short term. I'm not sure what Bruce was thinking with the keeper issue. That could well cost us promotion if it's not fixed.
    Last edited by bongosdad; 09-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Not saying Barry didnt play left back but he definately started at CB. Im sure Bongo, i was there and he and David platt are the only 2 players who ive witnessed both debuts and thought, these guys are special and will make it big time, unfortunately not with us!

As for the possible new formation, i could go Jedi or Whelan but not both.

100% right he started in the middle, played in a back five I recall and looked a class act - wasn't he just 17 then?

Yes I think initially CB, then became DL then moved to CM

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)