+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Forest v Millers

im not sure we have the perfect team for this. maybe your right. dont think we will ever know as cant see warne playing 352

UOTE=caytonmiller;39019582]

Weakness

In order to use this formation, you've got to have a talented squad. The centre-backs, in particular, need to be of a specific mould.

The outside two must be mobile and have good agility.

The central defender must be dominant in the air and happy to move forward with the ball—if he isn't positionally perfect, none of them are. It's flawless, or it's tragic.

The biggest worry for a 3-5-2 is when one of the defenders is dragged infield, or gets lost. The success of a back three lies in its rigidity, so when the line is destroyed, the outside two will squeeze in to try and compensate.

This leaves massive holes, as there are no full-backs whatsoever. This is where the danger of the false-nine lurks, [/QUOTE]

I think that when we allowed David Ball to go out on loan, we took away the only player who could comfortably play in the hole behind either smith or proctor. I'm not saying ball would play all the time, but it was certainly another option to play a different system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I think that when we allowed David Ball to go out on loan, we took away the only player who could comfortably play in the hole behind either smith or proctor. I'm not saying ball would play all the time, but it was certainly another option to play a different system.
    Ball is too lightweight and gets knocked about so easily.
    I think the Championship is a step too far for him but I agree his type of abilities are missing from the current squad so we don't have any variations available up front.
    We can't do much about it until January but I doubt if we will anyway.

Feel free to join in with the applause for Brian Clough on the 14th minute

14 years since his passing (20th)

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Ball is too lightweight and gets knocked about so easily.
    I think the Championship is a step too far for him but I agree his type of abilities are missing from the current squad so we don't have any variations available up front.
    We can't do much about it until January but I doubt if we will anyway.
    I understand the worry about ball being a little lightweight, but I think in general our attacking players, other than Smith and Proctor, are also a little lightweight in respect of physicality.
    The massive difference for me in the step up from division one to the championship, is that most big physical playes in division one are more cumbersome, whereas in the championship, most of the big physical players are athletic also, certainly with regards to top half teams.
    My point about David Ball was that he has the ability to see a pass that can unlock a defence, but I do fully take your point about him being lightweight at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I understand the worry about ball being a little lightweight, but I think in general our attacking players, other than Smith and Proctor, are also a little lightweight in respect of physicality.
    The massive difference for me in the step up from division one to the championship, is that most big physical playes in division one are more cumbersome, whereas in the championship, most of the big physical players are athletic also, certainly with regards to top half teams.
    My point about David Ball was that he has the ability to see a pass that can unlock a defence, but I do fully take your point about him being lightweight at this level.
    I agree with that, particularly that we don't have any powerful strikers who are also athletic. Maybe players of that type aren't decent human beings 😉 or, more likely, they fall outside our limited price range.
    Well for the time being we've got what we've got and time will tell whether they will be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I agree with that, particularly that we don't have any powerful strikers who are also athletic. Maybe players of that type aren't decent human beings �� or, more likely, they fall outside our limited price range.
    Well for the time being we've got what we've got and time will tell whether they will be good enough.
    Lol, I'm pretty sure that falls in the latter mellow, good luck to the boys at forest today, hope we get a good result for a change, away from home....UTM

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Feel free to join in with the applause for Brian Clough on the 14th minute

14 years since his passing (20th)
    How ironic, I drove down Brian Clough Way yesterday. One of the finest Managers this country has witnessed of who the FA were brick scared of so, he never got what should have been, his pinnacle, the England Managers position.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    How ironic, I drove down Brian Clough Way yesterday. One of the finest Managers this country has witnessed of who the FA were brick scared of so, he never got what should have been, his pinnacle, the England Managers position.
    probably just as well, Brin. It's a poison chalice. Don't care what anyone says Clough with Derby and Forest was pure genius. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Too right Brin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234