+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Chris Waddle on BBC Sport Website...

O/T Chris Waddle on BBC Sport Website...

On about England not producing attack minded midfield players and needing to do so in order to attain that next level. He's bang on.

However, are those players extinct as he makes out or are we not looking properly for them?

Or do you have to be a creative midfielder at a top six club to get into the reckoning?

I think its just the way the game's evolved in recent years. Different formations and midfielders who tend to sit in there keeping the shape etc. However, that said, this country hasn't produced a world class footballer since Gascoigne. Players like him come along once every generation so we're due one. This makes the difference in tournaments. If England would've had a midfielder of Gascoignes ilk in that last world cup, we would've probably gone to the final and had a serious chance of beating France

Gascoigne , warra player ,

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I think its just the way the game's evolved in recent years. Different formations and midfielders who tend to sit in there keeping the shape etc. However, that said, this country hasn't produced a world class footballer since Gascoigne. Players like him come along once every generation so we're due one. This makes the difference in tournaments. If England would've had a midfielder of Gascoignes ilk in that last world cup, we would've probably gone to the final and had a serious chance of beating France

Aye and it caught up with us in the semi final against Croatia .

A world class midfield player would have allowed us to beat the press the Croatian team put on us at the start of the second half which ultimately changed the course of the game .

Watched the Germany v France game last night which although a scoreless draw was a fascinating game to watch .

Kante , Matuidi , Mbappe' are what we are lacking , some fecking midfield that and that's not even mentioning Pogba or Griezman in the advanced role , no wonder playing Giroud doesn't really matter .

You just hope someone can emerge , the lad Grealish at Villa would be in my squad , worth a go in my opinion this lad .